Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA - Copus Rd. (LIVE, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously I'm sure the orchard operators/owners would do a brisk business if they set up a stand or even a U-Pick kind of thing.

Bruce.

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce.

It is likely that the owners of the citrus orchards that surround this location farm several sections in the general vicinity. Do you know how many citrus trees will fit into a section? Standard sized trees will be spaced about 20 feet apart. Semi-dwarf trees about 15 feet. Do the math. That will be a LOT of trees.

It is equally likely that if the owners are the Resnicks inter alia, they have their own packing facilities like the Halos plant on 99 near Delano. The farm workers sweep the orchards a couple times during harvest season (likely different varieties so they ripen over 45-75 days) to pick the fruit and send them off to the packing houses. We're talking millions of pounds of tangerines, oranges, and other citrus.

So, a fruit stand by a Supercharger ain't gonna be a significant revenue stream for operations like those. And U-Pick places have to contend with the unwashed masses trampling their orchards, damaging limbs, and letting perfectly good fruit rot on the ground because the customers are too lazy to pick what they don't like.

The days of the family farm on 40 acres are long gone, sadly. You are too young to remember the glory days of the Santa Clara Valley and its 5 to 40 acre farms bearing stone fruit, pears, and various truck crops. Equally depressing is that the Del Monte cannery in San Jose on Auzerais Ave. closed in the '90s and was converted into lofts. No more fragrances of fruit cocktail or pickles being canned wafting on the zephyr permeating Willow Glen on summer afternoons.

Reactions: GSP and bmah
Perfect! Now there must be a showroom for the CT and Semi. And another clever sign: "Cotton picking classes for truckers"
Pretty sure that sign doesn't get past the PC police in 2021 (nor should it).

Also, let's be real. with the new information provided by Marco, it's pretty clear this is going to be a truck stop with a supercharger, not some Tesla fanboi fantasy of a Tesla lounge with a vast solar array and massive battery storage.

Reactions: AMPd

Attachments

• 20210630_074949.jpg
    20210630_074949.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
Nav says "reduced service" but my car peaked at 255kw after plugging in at 34% SoC which is pretty awesome. Construction crew looks to be cleaning up so perhaps they aren't ready for a flood of cars yet. Tejon Ranch only had one open stall when I drove by so this should help alleviate that traffic despite being in a very weird location. Right off the freeway off ramp however.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-133140_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-133140_Tesla.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210630_132508.jpg
    20210630_132508.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210630_132523.jpg
    20210630_132523.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210630_132543.jpg
    20210630_132543.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210630_132556.jpg
    20210630_132556.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 117
Has to be some sort of record:
May 3 - Permit Submitted
June 10 - Permit Approved
June 14 - Posts and V3 Cabinets Installed
June 30 - Parking lot paved, Transformer Installed, Site is LIVE!

BTW - the lat-lon on supercharge.info should be updated closer to 35.094874, -119.040158 (about as close to the freeway on/off ramps as possible) compared to where the pin is now farther west. @MarcoRP @bmah

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and corywright
While you're waiting for loading up on electrons, there is a nice little store called The Little Purple Barn just ⅝ mile over the freeway bridge. A good leg stretcher. murrayfamilyfarm.org maybe something better than the soon to arrive port-a-potties.
This will do for now but it might be tough to walk it in the middle of the day in the summer and you’ll also have to be careful crossing the freeway or walking on the side of the road as there’s no dedicated sidewalk.
I’d still rather be here than in a line of 10 deep at Tejon waiting to charge at 60 kW because I’m splitting with someone when it’s finally my turn to charge. If i have to use this I think I’ll pick something up to eat in the car before heading to the charger.

Reactions: Dave EV