Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield City (Permit not found, exact location unknown)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new Downtown SC is scheduled to be completed in Bakersfield by the end of 2017. It is supposed to be located off the 99. The 99 corridor is heavily used and connects all the central valley cities. Currently this is under built compared to the i5 corridor. The i5 SC are not convenient to the Bako population. Any one know of the Status of the new downtown SC project?

It should definitely be along 99, preferably near 58, if not near 58, it should be north of 58. The Valley Plaza Mall wouldn't be a bad location. There are movie theaters, a Target, a Red Robin and some other places to eat and mall stores of course.

Not to my knowledge.

California SR58 is currently routed east of Interstate 5 on rural roads, entering Bakersfield on Rosedale Highway until it is duplexed with SR99 for a short distance before continuing eastward on a freeway towards Tehachapi, Mojave, and Barstow.

A few years ago, the Westside Parkway was constructed that runs roughly east-west and sort of parallels Rosedale Highway. It currently poops out onto Truxtun Avenue about one mile west of SR99.

There are plans on the drawing board to make the entire leg from Interstate 5 to the current freeway 58 that begins at the junction with SR99 into an expressway that will utilize the existing Westside Parkway. The easy part is from Interstate 5 to the Westside Parkway.

The hard part will be determining the routing from the Parkway to merge onto the existing freeway and then condemning the real estate and realigning the surface streets that will be affected.

It remains to be seen where Tesla desires to place this Supercharger. Clearly, the most sensible location would be an easy distance from both SR99 and SR58 to accommodate as many drivers as possible without a lengthy detour.

Maybe Tesla is taking a wait-and-see approach until the new alignment of SR58 is complete. I recall that it is scheduled to be completed late in 2021, but I would have to check my sources.

Not to my knowledge.

California SR58 is currently routed east of Interstate 5 on rural roads, entering Bakersfield on Rosedale Highway until it is duplexed with SR99 for a short distance before continuing eastward on a freeway towards Tehachapi, Mojave, and Barstow.

A few years ago, the Westside Parkway was constructed that runs roughly east-west and sort of parallels Rosedale Highway. It currently poops out onto Truxtun Avenue about one mile west of SR99.

There are plans on the drawing board to make the entire leg from Interstate 5 to the current freeway 58 that begins at the junction with SR99 into an expressway that will utilize the existing Westside Parkway. The easy part is from Interstate 5 to the Westside Parkway.

The hard part will be determining the routing from the Parkway to merge onto the existing freeway and then condemning the real estate and realigning the surface streets that will be affected.

It remains to be seen where Tesla desires to place this Supercharger. Clearly, the most sensible location would be an easy distance from both SR99 and SR58 to accommodate as many drivers as possible without a lengthy detour.

Maybe Tesla is taking a wait-and-see approach until the new alignment of SR58 is complete. I recall that it is scheduled to be completed late in 2021, but I would have to check my sources.

The Bakersfield portion of the new route 58 alignment is fully planned with right-of-way acquisition and demolition complete or nearly so, and construction activities starting: City of Bakersfield - Centennial Corridor

So Tesla should have all the info they need to select a good site. They may not want to build a location right next to the new freeway before construction is complete, but a location along 58 west of 99 would probably not be the best location anyway as the 58/99 interchange is planned to be partial, with no direct connectors between 58 to/from the west and 99 to/from the north.

I've made a couple of trips up the CA-99 in the last 9 months and I'm continually miffed that there is still no SuC in Bakersfield along the CA-99. It's always a giant span you have to make between Tejon Ranch and Fresno or Mojave to Fresno... it's better now that Traver is online... and not to mention that Tejon Ranch is such a bottleneck and Mojave stinks... it goes down quite a bit. I've even been auto re-routed when Mojave went down enroute from Tehachappi to Cucamonga and limped all the way back to Cucamonga at 55 mph (this was before Palmdale was built).

This past Sun I did Rancho Cucamonga to Sequoia NP. For the first time I charged my Long Range 3 RWD to 100% before leaving the house. Made it to Tejon at 12pm. Queue was 10 cars deep. Map showed Bakersfield Stockdale at 0/10. Buttonwillow at 1/10 full (1 outage).. which I did not believe. Kettleman was 10/40 but would only arrive at 4%.. but wait... I need to get to Traver next... why am I looking at all the I-5 chargers? oh wait... there's no still no bakersfield CA-99 charger! If hadn't charged to 100% would I have fewer options?

Drove past Bakerfield Stockdale... skipped it after seeing the queue.. chance it at Buttonwillow... 10 cars in queue, only 8 functioning chargers.. dang.. even worse than Tejon and Stockdale. Tejon was 10 deep as well, but it was 24 stalls. Kettleman was now 0/40 but I couldn't chance it anyways. Had I know I would have topped off at Santa Clarita and skipped this whole mess... or maybe I should have known... as this was the 3rd or 4th time I got caught up in Tejon waits... in 9 months. My fault for leaving an hour late and getting caught in the lunch rush hour on Sunday.. but I've even been caught at Tejon on weekdays.

Absolutely maddening for me.. I wasted 1.5 hr waiting and charging.

on the way back home... Tuesday, I charged to 92% at Traver and made a stop in Bakersfield to visit some ppl. Went back to Cucamonga through Mojave, skipping Tejon Ranch and LA traffic... winds were fierce after Bakersfield, but drove slow to conserve energy. In my mind, I was afraid that consumption would be off the charts and with no charger in Bakersfield to top off, I risk running out of juice going through Tehachappi with winds. Luckily, I made it to Mojave with plenty to spare.. but the in car Nav wanted to to go Palmdale direct and arrive with 11% charge... no thanks.

If the Bakersfield charger were there, I certainly would have topped off. This was my first time

I've made a couple of trips up the CA-99 in the last 9 months and I'm continually miffed that there is still no SuC in Bakersfield along the CA-99. It's always a giant span you have to make between Tejon Ranch and Fresno or Mojave to Fresno... it's better now that Traver is online... and not to mention that Tejon Ranch is such a bottleneck and Mojave stinks... it goes down quite a bit. I've even been auto re-routed when Mojave went down enroute from Tehachappi to Cucamonga and limped all the way back to Cucamonga at 55 mph (this was before Palmdale was built).

This past Sun I did Rancho Cucamonga to Sequoia NP. For the first time I charged my Long Range 3 RWD to 100% before leaving the house. Made it to Tejon at 12pm. Queue was 10 cars deep. Map showed Bakersfield Stockdale at 0/10. Buttonwillow at 1/10 full (1 outage).. which I did not believe. Kettleman was 10/40 but would only arrive at 4%.. but wait... I need to get to Traver next... why am I looking at all the I-5 chargers? oh wait... there's no still no bakersfield CA-99 charger! If hadn't charged to 100% would I have fewer options?

Drove past Bakerfield Stockdale... skipped it after seeing the queue.. chance it at Buttonwillow... 10 cars in queue, only 8 functioning chargers.. dang.. even worse than Tejon and Stockdale. Tejon was 10 deep as well, but it was 24 stalls. Kettleman was now 0/40 but I couldn't chance it anyways. Had I know I would have topped off at Santa Clarita and skipped this whole mess... or maybe I should have known... as this was the 3rd or 4th time I got caught up in Tejon waits... in 9 months. My fault for leaving an hour late and getting caught in the lunch rush hour on Sunday.. but I've even been caught at Tejon on weekdays.

Absolutely maddening for me.. I wasted 1.5 hr waiting and charging.

on the way back home... Tuesday, I charged to 92% at Traver and made a stop in Bakersfield to visit some ppl. Went back to Cucamonga through Mojave, skipping Tejon Ranch and LA traffic... winds were fierce after Bakersfield, but drove slow to conserve energy. In my mind, I was afraid that consumption would be off the charts and with no charger in Bakersfield to top off, I risk running out of juice going through Tehachappi with winds. Luckily, I made it to Mojave with plenty to spare.. but the in car Nav wanted to to go Palmdale direct and arrive with 11% charge... no thanks.

If the Bakersfield charger were there, I certainly would have topped off. This was my first time
I agree. 20 or 24 V3 stalls at that Target at the mall in Bakersfield (near the 99/58 interchange) would take a huge load off the mess that is Tejon Ranch and the bottlenecks on the southern end of the valley on I-5. I’ve stopped at Tejon Ranch numerous times and day or night you will always be paired with someone at best (due to V2 chargers) or be waiting for a stall at worst. If the map is to be believed, next quarter can’t come soon enough.

Last edited:
I do agree that that adding one to Bakersfield would be a great addition but I think one in Delano would be even better as it is more strategic along the 99 freeway until you hit Traver. There is also one going in Visalia but this is a new development and the developer has delayed their project due to COVID.

Reactions: Mohain and 1100MCM
Something to consider in the meantime - Caltrans recently installed a number of FREE level 3 chademo DCFCs along the 99 freeway at rest stops. If you have an adapter, they may save some of your frustrations. We used a number of these on our last trip and skipped all of the superchargers south of Sacramento on the way back to LA. They must be relatively unknown since we didn't see a single other person using them when we stopped. Of note, Tejon Ranch was full when we drove by on a Sunday afternoon and there were four free chademos just up the hill on Tejon Pass not being used.

Attachments

• 2021-001-ev-charger-map.png
    2021-001-ev-charger-map.png
    583.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
After the addition of Copus Rd, the future pin is gone (which was probably what the future Bakersfield pin was referring to) so it looks like a 99 supercharger is dead for the time being.

I fear that you may be correct.

On the other hand, the completion of the 58/99 junction with the concomitant realignment of 58 west of the junction to connect with the Westside Freeway, gives me hope that Tesla will reconsider and place a 24-32 stall Supercharger proximate. I am not certain of the scheduled completion date, but it would seem that they are still about a year away. Maybe in 2023!

After the addition of Copus Rd, the future pin is gone (which was probably what the future Bakersfield pin was referring to) so it looks like a 99 supercharger is dead for the time being.
That disappointing news as we need something between Traver and Tejon desperately. I think Delano would be the perfect spot as there is a large shopping center right off the freeway but Bakersfield would have been a great second.

Reactions: 1100MCM
But the Arvin pin remains. Putting a station in Arvin would be odd, so maybe it actually goes along 99, or possibly 58. (Unless the forthcoming Wheeler Ridge station is represented by the Arvin pin.)

0F370D34-CBF3-4516-81B7-0B27ED7A76CE.jpeg

But the Arvin pin remains. Putting a station in Arvin would be odd, so maybe it actually goes along 99, or possibly 58. (Unless the forthcoming Wheeler Ridge station is represented by the Arvin pin.)

View attachment 681258
I think you nailed it. The businesses on the east side of the Tejon exit have Arvin addresses, while the west side businesses have Lebec addresses.

From Wikipedia:

"Street addresses in Wheeler Ridge are addressed as "Arvin, CA 93203" east of Interstate 5, and as "Lebec, CA 93243" west of Interstate 5."

Reactions: 1100MCM
Arvin is definitely going to be the location at the outlets on the other side of the freeway from Tejon Ranch. Go look at the building permit in that thread and you'll see that the listed address for that location is Arvin.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV