Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baldwin (Espanola), ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just gassed up here (couldn’t fit the entire family plus the dog in the Tesla). Three pickup trucks, a car and an SUV in the charger spots. Fortunately most of them were in and out of the store in a matter of minutes. But still. Sigh...,

WTF !!!

Attachments

• 5D7EF435-76A7-4DF9-9595-04549F5E25E2.jpeg
    5D7EF435-76A7-4DF9-9595-04549F5E25E2.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 252
Like I said in another post... The simple solution is to weld another tube on front of each existing bollard so they're ahead of the pedestals. I suppose it's impossible to protect from deliberate damage, but there should be better protection from stupidity.

It would be safer anyway, I don't know what happens if a metal bumper touches 450V live wires... on a vehicle with gasoline on board...?

^^^^ This was at Espanola? A dually? Sad, but obvious, a guard or bollards would help; segmented guards the height of a seat would be kool. It always makes sense to protect the money and reduce expenditures on tech support; guard repair local :cool:

That's probably a good call. It is a bit tricky to plow around these and you can't leave much of a snow bank between the parking spot and the charger as the cables are so short. I once had trouble getting close enough at the Woodstock SC - I had to back right into the snow bank.

My bet is it was the guy that plows their lot, done on accident.
I don't think so - the snow is still there and undisturbed, and it looks like there has been very little snow based on the amount behind the pedestals.

Looking closely at the image, you can see black marks on the bollard at the same height as the black marks on the damaged pedestal - I suspect this person backed up right through the pedestal and only stopped when they hit the concrete bollard. I also wonder if this may have been a transport based on how very low the contact point appears to be - most dual-wheel small trucks have a much higher bumper.

This is Northern Ontario - perhaps air cooling is enough in winter ;)
I did consider that as I was typing ;) But if the coolant pump is non-functional the pedestal might refuse to charge regardless of the ambient temperature. And if not, pulling 170kW+ for any length of time in a Model 3 I would have to assume would overheat the smaller cable if it's cooling system wasn't functional.

That's probably a good call. It is a bit tricky to plow around these and you can't leave much of a snow bank between the parking spot and the charger as the cables are so short. I once had trouble getting close enough at the Woodstock SC - I had to back right into the snow bank.
That is why gas pumps have open roofs over and bollards to protect the pumps.
I don't think so - the snow is still there and undisturbed, and it looks like there has been very little snow based on the amount behind the pedestals.

Looking closely at the image, you can see black marks on the bollard at the same height as the black marks on the damaged pedestal - I suspect this person backed up right through the pedestal and only stopped when they hit the concrete bollard. I also wonder if this may have been a transport based on how very low the contact point appears to be - most dual-wheel small trucks have a much higher bumper.
Or same smaller vehicle backing up twice?

As wayner noted a security video could help. These SC are precious to some as they now open up the way for us to really shift from fossil fuels. Not just for around town stuff but completely. If one of these SC is off line there is not too much redundancy at this stage for long distance travel. I would love to see bollards around like a fort.

I did consider that as I was typing ;) But if the coolant pump is non-functional the pedestal might refuse to charge regardless of the ambient temperature. And if not, pulling 170kW+ for any length of time in a Model 3 I would have to assume would overheat the smaller cable if it's cooling system wasn't functional.
I’m more inclined to think it’ll throttle the charging rate to keep the heat down, rather than go completely non-functional.

Am booking a trip near this supercharger, and will depend on it working.
Any feedback on the status of this charger would be appreciated.

Called Tesla support, they confirmed 6 working stalls, no errors.
Checked Tesla site, also confirmed working
Baldwin, ON Supercharger | Tesla Canada

Plugshare shows successful charging on July 11 2020.
The charging stalls look fixed as per this July 11 picture uploaded to plugshare :
591757.jpg

Last edited:
Am booking a trip near this supercharger, and will depend on it working.
Any feedback on the status of this charger would be appreciated.

Called Tesla support, they confirmed 6 working stalls, no errors.
Checked Tesla site, also confirmed working
Baldwin, ON Supercharger | Tesla Canada

Plugshare shows successful charging on July 11 2020.
The charging stalls look fixed as per this July 11 picture uploaded to plugshare :
591757.jpg
If you want to be doubly sure, the PetroCan 5 minutes away has fast chargers. You’d just need to get hold of a ChadDeMo adapter.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Hey MarcoRP, would you mind updating the exact location for the Baldwin Supercharger? I was just there yesterday. It's actually in the top right-hand corner of that pink rectangle just to the right of the Esso station. It's not behind the Wendy's as it currently shows.

Note: this location will appear as Baldwin, ON on Supercharge Info when it opens, as I updated Supercharge Info yesterday, before any of the news came out. As the location is named Baldwin by Tesla, I’d ask @Doug_G to rename the thread to “Supercharger - Baldwin (Espanola), ON” . Thanks

Reactions: Chuq