Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baltimore, MD - South Caton Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the Baltimore County Land Management filing below for a development application from late 2017 to install Tesla Superchargers at the Wawa in Halethorpe, MD. The location is right off the Beltway on Washington Blvd. just at the intersection with I-95. Though, looking at google maps, for access from I-95 it seems like you'd need to get off either an exit before or after the Beltway. No information was listed that I could find mentioning the number of stalls to be built. Based on the filing/grant, I think this project was cleared to proceed to applying for a building permit, but I haven't been able to find one even though this particular approval was given more than a year ago. So, it may be that there is some other hold-up delaying progress.

Address: 3716 Washington Blvd.; Halethorpe, MD 21227
GPS (guess): 39.246074, -76.672896

What: DRC-2017-00170; on 2017-11-28 the Development Review Committee granted a B-2 exception-- "amendments to an approved Development Plan or plat that do not materially alter the proposed development"--for Tesla to install a supercharger at the Wawa station.

@BlueShift @Chuq

Hopefully, the delay is because they decided on a different location.

Since it had been a while since an update, and the last post was kind enough to include the suspected location, I decided to swing by there on the way home from the Guinness Brewery.

This WaWa is TINY; above that, it is difficult to get in and out of due to the access from the road leading up to the Home Depot behind the WaWa. This was exacerbated the other day because the far pumps were out of commission and everyone was smushed into the area closest to the entrance/exit paths. I'm not really sure where they plan to put in Superchargers at this location. In the pictures below, the best place would be off in the back by the retaining wall, but the only other non-storefront parking is at the Washington Blvd. side of the property, which might be more difficult for wiring/cabinet placement.

Anyway, I decided to take a couple site pictures from up on the Home Depot level of parking (which would actually make for a much better place to throw the chargers...):

Back corner parking:
20190417_192703_HDR.jpg

Rear of WaWa:
20190417_192706_HDR.jpg

Access Road Side:
20190417_192820.jpg

You can just make out the parking way at the front through the pumps in the last picture.

Any updates on this site a couple years in? I don't see anything near by either?

Thanks.

Ben

I haven't swung up that way recently, but I can go again tonight maybe. The filing above doesn't really have anything new listed and the related filings reference a plot of land slightly north of the WaWa.

I figured that the Hanover urban Supercharger down the road at The Hotel at Arundel Preserve (off of 295 instead of 95) was what became of the "Halethorpe" one.

Reactions: BQst
I haven't swung up that way recently, but I can go again tonight maybe. The filing above doesn't really have anything new listed and the related filings reference a plot of land slightly north of the WaWa.

I figured that the Hanover urban Supercharger down the road at The Hotel at Arundel Preserve (off of 295 instead of 95) was what became of the "Halethorpe" one.

Sorry, forgot to update over the weekend.

I drove by the WaWa and there is still no evidence that any construction/alterations are happening or planning to happen. I did not swing by the other address referenced in the filing.

As I said upthread, this location would be terrible for a supercharger. Somewhere else in Halethorpe would be cool (*cough* Heavy Seas or Guinness *cough*) but not at this tiny WaWa with difficult entry/exits.

• Informative
Reactions: BQst and mociaf9