TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Barnegat Township, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mociaf9, Mar 29, 2019.

1. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

#1 mociaf9, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    User Jersey on Supercharge.info's forum posted the following (including the picture below): LINK
    Looks like this is the relevant info for this site–

Barnegat Township Supercharger-- 8 stalls of (IMO) unknown type

(Wawa) Address: 945 W Bay Ave.; Barnegat, NJ; 08005

GPS location of stalls: 39.759418, -74.253461

Personally, I doubt it will be V3 and wouldn't normally trust one of the installers to know the difference unless they had installed a bunch of previous other locations and could explain in detail how this site was different. But I wasn't the one to talk to them, so YMMV. But pics of the hardware they'll soon be installing may be enough to tell definitively. Regardless, looks like a good location right off the Garden State Parkway, neatly splitting the distance between the Tinton Falls and Egg Harbor superchargers along the coast. Though, it looks like there's not that much right there besides the Wawa and a CVS.

Supercharger- Barnegat Township, NJ.jpeg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

8 stalls falls in line with SC3 so far ;)

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. paulkva

paulkva Member

Ahhhhhhh -- a perfect location for me based on where my sister used to live (less than 2 miles away).

She just moved to Florida. Go figure.

Still, a pretty good spot for nearly anyone who's visiting LBI.

• Like x 1
  4. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Mr. PlugShare

It’s ok. It’s not like the Supercharger would actually be working in 8 months, right? :p

• Funny x 1
  5. paulkva

paulkva Member

Haha fair point. If I'm lucky, it'll be up & running next time our extended family invites us to visit them on LBI. (We've been going ~once every couple years.)

6. JerseyShore

JerseyShore Member

With luck it may be operational by Sept. 2019.

7. JerseyShore

JerseyShore Member

April 3, 2019 photo update 4-3-2019.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  8. JerseyShore

JerseyShore Member

April 10,2019 update. Adding concrete.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. JerseyShore

JerseyShore Member

Photo update 4-19-2019. Making progress.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. eladts

eladts Member

It looks like V2 cabinets and autotransformers to me.

11. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

Sure does appear that way.... Ah well, wonder when we will see V3 start to pop up?

12. eladts

eladts Member

I think we are going to see several V3 supercharger sites in California before we see any in the East Coast.

13. JerseyShore

JerseyShore Member

5-1-2019 update. By the size of the charging cord it looks like V2 5-1-2019.JPG

• Informative x 1
  14. zhu-

zhu- Member

This looks pretty much complete, probably only 6 more months before it opens!

• Funny x 1
  15. Stroble

Stroble Member

Drove by last night still not “fully operational “

16. JerseyShore

JerseyShore Member

5.10.2019 update:
    Spoke to the install supervisor this morning. He said it is a V3 supercharger.
    They are just completing the landscaping and sprinklers. They are way ahead of schedule he claims.
    Next step is to clean up the parking stalls and paint the line markers. He said they will be finished early
    next week and on their way to Massachusetts to install at 16 new sites.
    All that remains is for the Tesla rep to complete the final phase, which may take a few weeks.
    I'll 5-10-2019-1.JPG 5-10-2019-2.JPG post again as soon as I see it operational and charge.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. zhu-

zhu- Member

That's awesome, wasn't expecting V3 superchargers over here this quick.

18. Shateam

Shateam Member

Thanks for the pics. It’s coming along nicely. It looks like the meter is in place. Did you notice if the transformer is also installed (green rectangular looking box)?

19. Stroble

Stroble Member

That’s awesome !! Not sure if my 2013 will allow V3

20. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

He's almost certainly wrong. Like 97% certain. But if anyone local wants to go by and make it totally definitive, go get a picture of the nameplate on the supercharger cabinets. It's on the back of the cabinets, on one of the smaller angled pieces to the side (usually the right), and looks like this:

[​IMG]

The V3 nameplate will be different and have enough to make it identifiably V3, or at least to show that it's not V2. For now, from the already available pictures, we can see that,
    1. The system doesn't look like that described as V3. V3 is supposed to have 1 larger supercharger cabinet serving 4 stalls. Not the same cabinets connected to 2 stalls apiece.
    2. The charging stanchions don't have the thinner, liquid-cooled cables that V3 needs. At least from JerseyShore's pictures, it doesn't look like it to me.
    3. There's no powerpack battery, nor even a pre-formed equpment pad area for it to be installed on in the future, which is also supposed to be part of V3. I rate this sign as a lower value than the discrepancy from V3 description identified in #1 until we start seeing actual V3 installations to be sure that the batteries are actually going to happen consistently. I remember the original supercharger rollout was also supposed to include battery support, which mostly never happened.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2