Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barrie, ON (2nd site on Bayfield St)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now, Muskoka is a public charger wasteland. My buddy's cottage that I go to does not have anything other than a 120v outlet. I can easily make it there on a charge, and with a little 120v love, to Barrie on the way back. Day trippers to ski country may face the same issue...only needing it one way, but needing it nonetheless.

It's worse in Haliburton. One location in Norland, at a restaurant. Nothing north or east of that.

And

Barrie is ideally situated should you go to Haliburton via 400/11/Monck Road, for the trip home, if you can't get a charge where you are staying.

Last edited:
Norland has 1 charger (Tesla HPWC) at a hotel / restaurant.
Haliburton has no official charger but many wall outlets in their public parking (need extension). But luckily, there is a brewery/restaurant near Minden but a bit out of the way (also Tesla HPWC)
Result: The new Barrie Supercharger would be helpful.

If you are looking to get to that area without charging in Barrie... and you're low on battery, you might charge in Gravenhurst at the ScotiaBank at a wacko $17/h or at a Tesla HPWC at the Muskoka Bay Resort at 48A.

Wait until the ones right in Toronto start getting built - like downtown (if they do put one downtown) or Yonge & Eg.
Not soon enough...i charged at Toronto the other day.

8 superchargers, all full. 1 was a new delivery car, 1 was a service car. 6 were people like me who needed to charge.

Waited 15 minutes, then got a slot.

These are the only superchargers from Port hope to Grimsby, a 200 km wide gap around them.

How on earth anyone builds more in Barrie first is beyond me.

If you're doing seconds stations in cities, build 50 in Toronto before you build one more in Barrie.

Really the big city centres should be getting filled out first (Mississauga, Ottawa) not the small cities getting their second locations. It's weird logic.

How on earth anyone builds more in Barrie first is beyond me.

If you're doing seconds stations in cities, build 50 in Toronto before you build one more in Barrie.

Really the big city centres should be getting filled out first (Mississauga, Ottawa) not the small cities getting their second locations. It's weird logic.

What if there are hold ups in permitting or getting sites in Toronto but you can quickly go ahead and get work in Barrie done. Rather than being idle would it not be better to get some work done alsewhere? You are assuming that Tesla had the opportunity to be working in Toronto instead of Barrie but given all the evidence that the planning and permitting stage is the real bottleneck, it is highly likely that building the Barrie Supercharger had no bearing on the lack of building elsewhere. Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

What if there are hold ups in permitting or getting sites in Toronto but you can quickly go ahead and get work in Barrie done. Rather than being idle would it not be better to get some work done alsewhere? You are assuming that Tesla had the opportunity to be working in Toronto instead of Barrie but given all the evidence that the planning and permitting stage is the real bottleneck, it is highly likely that building the Barrie Supercharger had no bearing on the lack of building elsewhere. Why look a gift horse in the mouth?
Yeah it's funny to complain about free gas stations :)

That saying refers to the premise that you shouldn't look it in the mouth (check its health) in front of the person giving out the horse...but you certainly check it out when you get it home, and I think we're discussing these situations amongst ourselves here, not complaining to tesla. Let's also not forget that we paid considerable money to be early adopters of this technology based on a number of promises from tesla, one of which was the rollout of a supercharger network to support us. So it's not really a gift horse.

And of course they should build where they can if they're hung up in other locations with beaurocracy.

My comments are under the assumption this was a strategic decision to choose Barrie over Toronto Ottawa Mississauga etc .

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk

Barrie is clearly a long distance travel station.

Any site in the downtown Toronto area would be for local condo dwellers. No sane person would ever dive downtown toronto if they did not need to.

Right. I was excluding that station because a) it is in a stupid spot and is often filled with service cars and b) I understand it is to be decommissioned and replaced by another site somewhere nearby. But for me, Barrie is right behind and I've traveled extensively in the US (especially mid-west) myself too.

Right now, Muskoka is a public charger wasteland. My buddy's cottage that I go to does not have anything other than a 120v outlet. I can easily make it there on a charge, and with a little 120v love, to Barrie on the way back. Day trippers to ski country may face the same issue...only needing it one way, but needing it nonetheless.

And not everyone is coming from the "center of the universe" I have friends from the Waterloo Region who regularly go to Muskoka.

Pretty spot on about Lawrence East. That place is just hopping and relief is needed. I've heard they're going to do something about the Superchargers there - just no timeline. If, indeed, the map of future SCs is accurate, I can see a lot more traffic coming through Etobicoke, especially for commuters coming into the city from places west.

Muskoka could use one a bit further south as well - around Gravenhurst. It would be strategic for those heading eastward as well as northbound. Huntsville is a bit out of the way. Come to think of it, one near Collingwood would be appreciated too. Let's see what happens as the network expands.

On a side, I've heard late 2018 for Model 3s to start in Canada. That sounds a bit long in the tooth to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: MarcoRP