Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barrie, ON (2nd site on Bayfield St)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty spot on about Lawrence East. That place is just hopping and relief is needed. I've heard they're going to do something about the Superchargers there - just no timeline. If, indeed, the map of future SCs is accurate, I can see a lot more traffic coming through Etobicoke, especially for commuters coming into the city from places west.

Muskoka could use one a bit further south as well - around Gravenhurst. It would be strategic for those heading eastward as well as northbound. Huntsville is a bit out of the way. Come to think of it, one near Collingwood would be appreciated too. Let's see what happens as the network expands.

On a side, I've heard late 2018 for Model 3s to start in Canada. That sounds a bit long in the tooth to me.
It will be known as the Model 3A by then! Lol!

I agree, but there isn’t one scheduled for this area at all. There is one supposed to be in Hamilton.
Those are largely bedroom communities so I guess the rationale for no superchargers is that tesla owners there are charging at home in their single family dwellings (which the Grand majority of Burlington and Oakville is made up of) . But that gap between Toronto and Grimsby is significant. If you're visiting someone overnight in burlington or Oakville and are coming from the east an Oakville supercharger would be great to help you get back without stopping in Toronto.

Even then you'd have few people showing empathy for that very specific plight.

The tesla store in Oakville is a few minutes from my house and office and it wouldn't be a bad spot for 10 superchargers. Just not sure it's necessary yet.

That 20 stall site might be the Markville Mall site under construction.
I hope not - as Toronto <> Markham. There are supposed to be SCs opened in Toronto and North York in 2017, and plus five more within Toronto (Scarborough, Etobicoke, Yonge & Eg, Liberty Village, the Annex) in 2018. People have been assuming that the Toronto SC will be downtown, but that may just be because the current placeholder is at city hall.

Muskoka could use one a bit further south as well - around Gravenhurst. It would be strategic for those heading eastward as well as northbound.

I had always thought Gravenhurst would have been perfect. Maybe someday....

One of the early Supercharger deployment maps I saw (don't ask me how) showed the site that eventually went to Huntsville in Bracebridge. There is a plaza very close to Hwy 11 with tons of parking, restaurants, Wal-Mart and Home Depot in Bracebridge. That would be an ideal site.

Gravenhurst would really be stacking them up in the Hwy 11/400 corridor. You already have two in Barrie with 28 stalls. There is one coming next year in Orillia. There is one in Huntsville and one in Parry Sound. Do you really need Gravenhurst as well? How about some love for the folks that cottage in Haliburton or the Kawarthas? One in Minden, or Bobcaygeon.

With apologies to the late, great Gord:

When I left your house this morning,
I had a range of four oh nine
It was in Bobcaygeon, I saw the battery warnings
Reveal themselves, one km at time

Drove back to town this morning
Range anxiety on my mind
I thought of maybe quittin'
Thought of leavin' it behind

Gravenhurst would really be stacking them up in the Hwy 11/400 corridor. You already have two in Barrie with 28 stalls. There is one coming next year in Orillia. There is one in Huntsville and one in Parry Sound. Do you really need Gravenhurst as well? How about some love for the folks that cottage in Haliburton or the Kawarthas? One in Minden, or Bobcaygeon.

Yes, with the current deployment you are right. This was something I thought about before the first Supercharger even showed up in Canada ;)

The simple answer is no. I think that perhaps if instead of Huntsville they had put it in Gravenhurst it may have been a more strategic placement (at least, selfishly, for myself). Given what's there now and what's currently rolling out, I'd say one or 2 somewhere in Haliburton or the other places you've mentioned would be helpful - more so than my suggestion.

View attachment 255569 This was just uploaded to the Tesla Model 3 FB group. Barrie has a supercharger already but from a little google searching this looks different. Anyone know more about this?
@Proudlock no I don't think so yet. I asked @RedAntisocial and he said he couldn't use it because he had a Chev Volt. Do you want to be the next contestant on The Price Is Right?

How soon after they're usable do they show up on the car's map? I'm a new owner...