Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow, CA - Tanger Way (LIVE, 70 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Info here: https://www.theoutletsatbarstow.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

FOOD 101A • All About Dogs, Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, Jammin Juice & Java, Pizza Outlet, Sub King
Ok, thanks. So not much to begin with and opening hours unsure. I’ll prep myself for not much more than a bathroom break, next time I go there.

Is this outlet mall kind of like Lake Elsinor’s? Not practically dead (like Primm’s) but on life support? Never been there. Just wondering.

Just looking at the map, I would probably drop the family at someplace they really wanted to eat like In-N-Out, Habit Burger, Carl's Jr, Chili's, Denny's, or Jersey Mike's, or Subway. Those are all clustered on the other side of the outlets closer to the freeway interchange, but would be a bit of a hike from the Supercharger. If you do drive-thru, pick up food first, then eat in or near the car.

Are the destination chargers free? Coming from Pasadena driving to Vegas, I suppose I could break the drive up into two days, with a short over night at the hotel there. But the rooms are like $150 per night, so might as well just get all the way to Vegas. If someone is on the 15, needs an overnight free charge, and is right there, sure, go ahead and spend the night. I'll stop to check it out, but my mandatory stop on the way to Vegas is Yermo and Eddie World. If I leave my place at 4:15am I get there at 6am when they open. No traffic, and arrive in Vegas just about when the pool opens.

RT

Reactions: alexcue
Ok, thanks. So not much to begin with and opening hours unsure. I’ll prep myself for not much more than a bathroom break, next time I go there.

Is this outlet mall kind of like Lake Elsinor’s? Not practically dead (like Primm’s) but on life support? Never been there. Just wondering.
Does DoorDash operate in Barstow? Though with 250kW, it might take longer for them to fulfill and deliver your order (especially considering how terrible traffic is on Lenwood) than it takes to charge.

The food court is permanently closed here so don't bother making the trek across the large parking lot. Apparently the owner recently passed away and there are no plans to re-open it. Honestly, even if it were open, the offerings look fairly meager and it is a long hike from the supercharger.

There are restrooms in the building near the supercharger, but with no food options, this is a fairly odd place to put a huge supercharger.

The food court is permanently closed here so don't bother making the trek across the large parking lot. Apparently the owner recently passed away and there are no plans to re-open it. Honestly, even if it were open, the offerings look fairly meager and it is a long hike from the supercharger.

There are restrooms in the building near the supercharger, but with no food options, this is a fairly odd place to put a huge supercharger.
thx, so much for them keeping their website up to date. Always best to rely on first hand info.

I visited this Supercharger location on June 19th. All the photos below were taken on that date. There is a lot going on at this site, so I thought I would give a short write-up of what I saw.

First, the Supercharger stalls that are currently in service. As previously reported in this tread, there are 20 working SC stalls. Two of the stalls require a handicap placard to park, and one of the stalls is a "pull-through". Here is photo showing all 20 stalls, with the camera facing north:

IMG_1853.jpg

You can also see many pedestal footers intended for future expansion. I counted 50 of these. Yes, I know that 50 new stalls plus the existing 20 stalls would give a total of 70 stalls, which is not an even multiple of four! However, I counted several times. Here are more photos of the expansion footers:

IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1857.jpg

You can see what looks to be six more "pull-through" footers, but their arrangement puzzles me. However, I think it is safe to say that more pull-throughs are coming to this location in the future. You can also see three more planned handicap-accessible stalls, adjacent to the existing ones. The little "boulders" are plastic, and they are covering the pedestal footers. And then the last photo shows the five existing V3 cabinets, which are powering the existing 20 stalls. You can also see plenty of room for expansion next to the cabinets. The gray boxes are made of plywood, and are there simply to protect the conduit in the concrete slabs underneath them. The camera is looking south in the last photo, and there is nothing but desert and I-15 beyond.

Now the destination chargers. There are 29 destination chargers, all located on the west edge of the site. I connected to two different chargers, and was able to pull 48 amps (my vehicle maximum) from each. Nice! There is no payment system, and it appears that the chargers are available to anyone who wants to connect. All the destination chargers have Tesla plugs; there are no J-1772s hiding here.

IMG_1851.jpg

Unfortunately, what is hiding here is dirt and grit. I examined the connectors on five of the destination chargers, and I felt that three of them were not usable due to dust/dirt contamination. Here are two examples:

IMG_1864.jpg IMG_1863.jpg

The natural environment here is really punishing, and not exactly what you would call "electrical connector friendly". Sometimes the winds in this area blow 25+ MPH for days, with dirt and dust flying the whole time. And, unlike with Supercharger pedestals, the destination charger cables/connector plugs are frequently left laying on the ground, or otherwise improperly stowed. If you are planning on using a destination charger here, I recommend on having a plan to clean the connector before use.

Lastly, the "Outlets at Barstow" mall. This is a fairly modern and up-to-date mall. There are bathrooms located in a hallway inside the building, and they are accessed by using the door that faces the Supercharger parking lot. The bathrooms are "no touch", and were very clean the day I was there. There is a vending machine next to the bathrooms. The other end of the hallway opens into the mall courtyard. I've included a photo of the mall directory; note the location of the "Tesla Charging Stations" on the right-hand side of the diagram. This is where your High Desert shopping odyssey begins. :)

IMG_1862.jpg IMG_1860.jpg IMG_1861.jpg

I charged at this location last week in a LR Model Y. For some reason, none of the 3 Supercharger stalls I used charged charged higher than 130 kW (I was around 25% SOC when I plugged in) and speeds then quickly ramped down to the mid-80s kW well before I approached 50%. It was 109 degrees that day so thinking possibly the high temps were part of the reason for the slow speeds? I'm pretty sure a LRY that's been preconditioned should be charging at speeds higher than 100 kW at 40% SOC on a 250kW station. I was not next to any other car charging, though from what I've read using a "paried" stall isn't an issue with V3 stations like with the older ones.

I charged at this location last week in a LR Model Y. For some reason, none of the 3 Supercharger stalls I used charged charged higher than 130 kW (I was around 25% SOC when I plugged in) and speeds then quickly ramped down to the mid-80s kW well before I approached 50%. It was 109 degrees that day so thinking possibly the high temps were part of the reason for the slow speeds? I'm pretty sure a LRY that's been preconditioned should be charging at speeds higher than 100 kW at 40% SOC on a 250kW station. I was not next to any other car charging, though from what I've read using a "paried" stall isn't an issue with V3 stations like with the older ones.

In total, how many cars were charging at the time?

Interesting. That would rule out hitting the site limit. Also, congrats on going from Bolt to three (!) Teslas. :cool:
Well, I only have the SR+ 3 currently. The 2nd one in my sig I transferred to someone else last year after BBB fell through. The 3rd I reserved for my FIL.
I have another Y on order (not listed), but that'll only come into my possession if it qualifies for the full $7,500 tax credit next year. I'd swap the 3 for the Y in that case. I should probably update my sig. Lol

Reactions: Big Earl
Well, I only have the SR+ 3 currently. The 2nd one in my sig I transferred to someone else last year after BBB fell through. The 3rd I reserved for my FIL.
I have another Y on order (not listed), but that'll only come into my possession if it qualifies for the full $7,500 tax credit next year. I'd swap the 3 for the Y in that case. I should probably update my sig. Lol
It has been my analysis on this issue, seemingly on new super chargers there must be a process flow to throttle them until they are stable. This may be imposed by the county, city or just a Tesla process. Maybe the electrician warranty thing.

I was at this location in mid-July. It was also around 109 degrees around 4PM. There were three other Teslas charging (ostensibly) at the stalls furthest from the motel. The other stalls were vacant. I plugged in at three different stalls and got the dread red ring with the corresponding message on the dash on all three. I plugged in at the wall chargers and waited until someone left before trying that stall. I got a weak rate (don't recall.)

The next morning the touchscreen indicated "temporary closure." By late afternoon that day, it showed open again with all stalls available.

Others have observed that when Tesla first installed the V3 Superchargers that shortly after opening, the site would close or would have limited charging or only a few stalls working. (I think this was true with the two SC in eastern Montana on I94.)

So there may be some truth to RP's position that there are growing pains at selected V3 locations--maybe with extreme temperatures or other variables outside the normal conduit of transferring electrons from the grid to car.

Plus these Barstow stalls have no cover, so are baking in the sun all day on top of the already high ambient temps. Have to think that thermal throttling might be an issue at this particular site.
I'm in Texas and we just ended 70 days of 100 degree temps. Lots of exposed chargers here. The old V2 chargers cables are incredibly hot from air too. The V3 are interestingly liquid cooled. I don't think we'll ever know the answers. I haven't seen a covered charger - great idea. Cheers.