Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow, CA - Tanger Way (LIVE, 70 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
batteries operate best within moderate temp range. Preconditioning cools battery down to that range.
Stats app shows temp curve for both my EVs and efficiency drops off on both ends of temp spectrum.

Drivers may not be aware it is preconditioning but setting it to a supercharger auto triggers it even in moderate temps in 60s-70s in LA.

batteries operate best within moderate temp range. Preconditioning cools battery down to that range.
Stats app shows temp curve for both my EVs and efficiency drops off on both ends of temp spectrum.

Drivers may not be aware it is preconditioning but setting it to a supercharger auto triggers it even in moderate temps in 60s-70s in LA.

When Tesla heats up a battery in preparation for supercharging, you see the battery conditioning icon on the navigation screen. Does Tesla cool down a battery for charging? If so, it certainly doesn’t tell you.

Rarely will the battery get to the charging range when driving, firstly the passive cooling will be triggered if the temps get over about 120°F, while when heading to a supercharger the active heating target will be above 140°, once the charging commences the active cooling will be triggered to keep batteries from getting excessively hot, usually it doesn't take too long to cool the batts to the charging range. And when you unplug the charger it will drop the active cooling temp to bring the batteries back down to the 120° range.

I have heard before that the car may cool the batts as part of pre-conditioning, but I have never witnessed it from my car computer display

Rarely will the battery get to the charging range when driving, firstly the passive cooling will be triggered if the temps get over about 120°F, while when heading to a supercharger the active heating target will be above 140°, once the charging commences the active cooling will be triggered to keep batteries from getting excessively hot, usually it doesn't take too long to cool the batts to the charging range. And when you unplug the charger it will drop the active cooling temp to bring the batteries back down to the 120° range.

I have heard before that the car may cool the batts as part of pre-conditioning, but I have never witnessed it from my car computer display
i’ve had opposite experience. In Vegas a couple summers back, temps were at 120+ mid afternoon. X fan was loud as jet engine throughout and preconditioning was triggered well beforehand. I put wet towel on charge handle to get higher throughput which worked with this 150Kw setup. Battery gave out last week at 75.5K mi so was at tesla service for a week to replace including coolant. Lot of desert driving no doubt didn’t help. Hopefully they’ve upgraded the packs since then.

It’s a pretty common experience to hear a bank of X fans whining like jet engines in unison. It sounds like you’re in middle of an airport runway.

Last edited:
Looks like they turned on the rest of the site. Just in time for holiday travels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_084411_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_084411_Tesla.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 111
Visited the site today, Sunday, Nov 26. I can verify that there were 70 lighted Supercharger stalls ready for service:

IMG_4656.jpeg IMG_4652.jpeg

The site infrastructure now looks fully built-out, complete with three transformers and 18 Superchargers cabinets. Yep…that’s enough kit for 72 charging stalls; not sure why they stopped at 70?

IMG_4657.jpeg IMG_4659.jpeg

I also visited the site on Saturday, Nov. 25th, around 9:00 PM (the night before these pics were taken). There were about 50 vehicles actively Supercharging at that time. Busy!

Visited the site today, Sunday, Nov 26. I can verify that there were 70 lighted Supercharger stalls ready for service:

View attachment 994042 View attachment 994043

The site infrastructure now looks fully built-out, complete with three transformers and 18 Superchargers cabinets. Yep…that’s enough kit for 72 charging stalls; not sure why they stopped at 70?

View attachment 994045 View attachment 994046

I also visited the site on Saturday, Nov. 25th, around 9:00 PM (the night before these pics were taken). There were about 50 vehicles actively Supercharging at that time. Busy!
Are those shades solar panels?