Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stopped at Bastow. They are making good progress. Hopefully the pics come through on this post...

Let's try that again (switching from Smartphone to computer...

IMG_20140827_165459397.jpg

IMG_20140827_165538594_HDR.jpg

Looking good... Almost makes me want to drive to Vegas this weekend.... Until I remember that it's a 3 day weekend and that things will probably be full on the road...

Looks like they replaced the area in front of the old locations, probably to wire the four additional stations.

Looking at Damiano's second photo, I see the man in a yellow shirt with his right hand reaching down. That's a hefty concrete pad with 8 large threaded rods. I see a second pad with rods on the very left in the photo.
Could these be part of the mounting system for the Solar Canopy? Some shade out there would be great!

Stopped at Barstow today (Thursday before the Labor Day weekend) on the way back from a Santa Fe trip. Talked to one of the construction guys. He said 4 of the 8 new stalls there are completed, and Tesla paid the contractors big $$$ to get them done before Labor Day. BUT...the power company screwed them and none of the new stalls are going to be online until some time after the holiday. And to top it off, one of the two temporary stalls is not charging at full power (I was getting 130 miles/hour with no other user on the stall until I moved to the other stall.) So I suspect there will be some long waits at Barstow this Labor Day weekend...ouch.

The construction guy said they usually get the installations done on schedule but the power companies are late connecting them up 80% to 90% of the time. He said that's why Indio is just sitting there, not yet functional.

Check out the 5th SC station kissing a SC station at 90 degrees. You can barely see it in the pano shot, hiding behind the 4th SC.
View attachment 57414

Looks like there will be space for 4 Teslas backing in; and 4 Teslas heading in. Equal opportunity for those who debate whether to head in or back in. :biggrin:

This is just an accident waiting to happen. Someone is going to pull out of that head-in spot and side-swipe the person who backed in next to him, they are way too close to each other...

Looking at Damiano's second photo, I see the man in a yellow shirt with his right hand reaching down. That's a hefty concrete pad with 8 large threaded rods. I see a second pad with rods on the very left in the photo.
Could these be part of the mounting system for the Solar Canopy? Some shade out there would be great!

I'm certain that pad is where the 1 mWh tesla stationary storage battery will go. My understanding is Barstow is getting a tesla stationary storage battery. Not sure about a solar canopy, but that would be nice. From walking around there on Monday, I didn't see any evidence for a solar canopy (footings, etc)

I'm certain that pad is where the 1 mWh tesla stationary storage battery will go. My understanding is Barstow is getting a tesla stationary storage battery. Not sure about a solar canopy, but that would be nice. From walking around there on Monday, I didn't see any evidence for a solar canopy (footings, etc)
I based my thoughts on what I can see in the photo taken Wednesday the 27th (after your Monday visit) of the yellow shirted man reaching down with his right arm, working on the new heavy pads with bolts.
Tejon Ranch has stationary battery storage and a canopy. The storage batteries are surrounded by cement block walls like the supercharges. This is for safety and security I would imagin. I do not think there is space for a battery rack where those heavy pads with bolts are against the short back wall, and those 8 bolts per heavy pad are like 1-1/2" diameter each.
Superchargers, like stationary batteries, are bolted down to broad flat pads with four 1/2" bolts. Freeway lamp posts are mounted with four 1" bolts. Cantilevered freeway signs are anchored with a large steel column held down on the side of the road with eight 1-1/2" bolts. So, this is what gives me the idea that these two heavy pads with eight 1-1/2" bolts each are for a cantilevered Shade structure/Solar Panels. I would love to see a better close up photo of these heavy pads with huge bolts if anyone happens by Barstow. Thanks.

In the photos from Wednesday the 27th, you can also see a new 5'x8' pad surrounded by three big yellow steel posts filled with concrete. I bet that is where the Stationary Battery might go.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of battery storage without a solar canopy?

Is it to assist during a power outage?

I am assuming that it is to store power on the off hour from the grid, when the power is cheaper. Or to smooth out the demand of power to ensure that the site doesn't hit the "demand" charge for pulling too much power from the grid...