Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been following this thread much. There not connected? Why the heck not?
I really don't know. I posted upthread about it with photos when I passed through last summer. Nobody has reported otherwise.

It's possible there is local storage, but I didn't see that being the case. Or maybe there was vandalism back then targeting the array tie-in? Who knows.

Unless there is no room left. Barstow has already been expanded once. Or has it been twice?
To anyone driving by, try to get a stall count. Also, see if they are building footings for another solar panel.

It has been expanded twice. It was 4 in the beginning, then 4 more were added. Then they added 4 more temporary stalls a few months back. Looks like now they making it permanent. The battery storage was added with the first expansion 2 years or so ago.

I have used Barstow at least 40 times, probably more. I have never had to wait there. With SuC in Primm at the LV airport and the new one in Baker and Victorville coming soon, I think it's going to be fine.

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 8.52.00 AM.png

Statistically, site capacity increases faster than pedestal quantity, so more pedestals helps more than one might think.

brx,
Can you elaborate on this, not sure I understand what you are saying...

If there were a single stall, average charging time of say 20 minutes, then cars arriving any faster than once every 20 minutes will result in a queue starting to build up.

If there were 10 stalls, average charging time of 20 minutes, someone will be leaving a stall every 2 minutes on average.

When there are 20 stalls (presumably soon), average charging time of 20 minutes, a spot will be freed up every minute. So unless there are Teslas arriving more often than every minute, or average charging time is more than 20 minutes, queue buildup should not be a problem. Batching of arriving vehicles can certainly happen, but that is a different case then a normal or random distribution case.

RT

Can you elaborate on this, not sure I understand what you are saying...

Statistical throughput is not linear.

Here's an old thread on the subject: Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

A good example in that thread is cashiers (bank, supermarket, etc.): If everyone queues up in one line and goes to the next available cashier, the total throughput over a time period is higher than if each cashier gets their own line. Freeways are a good one too--a three lane freeway can move more than 150% of a two lane freeway.

Statistical throughput is not linear.

Here's an old thread on the subject: Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

A good example in that thread is cashiers (bank, supermarket, etc.): If everyone queues up in one line and goes to the next available cashier, the total throughput over a time period is higher than if each cashier gets their own line. Freeways are a good one too--a three lane freeway can move more than 150% of a two lane freeway.

All it takes is one slow poke or someone with a problem to back up the entire system without a lot of parallelism.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and Ulmo