Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure that the door handles are a practical joke from Elon... They're composed of a special alloy from his home planet (not Earth) and have a supernatural ability to absorb heat.... Even in 80F weather they're too hot to touch!
I've noticed that as well and I'm in Seattle and it isn't even summer yet. Making a trip to the southwest next week...

I'm pretty sure that the door handles are a practical joke from Elon... They're composed of a special alloy from his home planet (not Earth) and have a supernatural ability to absorb heat.... Even in 80F weather they're too hot to touch!

I believe he meant the SuC handle, not the Door handle. In either case, there are remedies to this problem;

a) too hot SuC handle, use the mobile app to stop the charging or from the main display.

b) too hot door handles, use the FOB or Mobile app to unlock/open the door (if you have that feature). Doubleclicking the top of the roof of the car will unlock it and present the handles. Perhaps also carry a pair of thin gloves so you don't singe those delicate hands. ;)

IMG_4089.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG
First time here. Was hard to find, dumb map wasn't clear exactly where it was. Hidden in the very back where Chili is.

Attachments

• IMG_4090.JPG
    IMG_4090.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4092.PNG
    IMG_4092.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
View attachment 237298 View attachment 237300 First time here. Was hard to find, dumb map wasn't clear exactly where it was. Hidden in the very back where Chili is.

It is hard to find the first time, and those freaking trenched water runoff troughs on the road to the Chili's will get you every time. Just when you think you've memorized where all of them are, you'll find one more when you least expect it.

FWIW in my experience the covered spots are tempting but tend to deliver lower charge rates compared to the uncovered stalls.

It seemthis area is expanding a lot. A whole new "Asian" theme food plaza opened up and new hotels being built.

I like this location as everything is within walking distance during the day. Might be a whole diff story at night lol.

If this area become 40 stalls would fit nicely. Maybe add the addition 20 across the street in the In N Out / Panda plaza.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Yep we've been contributing to Chili's. Used to always stop at the In-n-Out across the way. Until the superchargers, never would have been able to convince wife to go to Chili's. Now she looks forward to it (she really likes their soup, I'm a fan of the sliders...oh, the calories though...).
That Chili's definitely gets a lot of Tesla customers. I would always go to Innout pre-Tesla, but with the lines at that one, plus crossing the street in 122 degree weather keeps me going to Chili's when I pass by (and I don't particularly like Chili's).

Reactions: GoTslaGo
That Chili's definitely gets a lot of Tesla customers. I would always go to Innout pre-Tesla, but with the lines at that one, plus crossing the street in 122 degree weather keeps me going to Chili's when I pass by (and I don't particularly like Chili's).

I've noticed that with a lot of superchargers, its not that there aren't a decent of choices in the area that are walkable. But....

#1 a lot of these places are built without thinking anyone walks. I was recently somewhere in Oregon that did not have a crosswalk anywhere near where I was trying to get to, and a lot of traffic. I ended not talking the perhaps extra 1/3 of a mile walk to get there safely.

#2 As you said weather. Dealing with #1 is very doable say in 50-80 degree weather. On that day it was about 95, and walking even a mile doesn't sound all that appealing when traffic is around.

Reactions: ohmman
"The record high in Barstow was 118 °F on July 5, 2007."

Last Sunday when I swing by on the way to Vegas, I believe Barstow was was around 105. I stopped at the SC for 40 minutes. Walked over to Arby's for a snack.

On the way back on Tuesday, it was 99. Walked over to In-N-Out. Stayed for 40 minutes as well.

I think my rule is not to spend too long there.

We always go to the El Pollo Loco across the parking lot since it has very healthy menu choices, fast food delivery, and low prices... especially with EPL coupons or EPL app rewards offers.

Typically by the time we walk across the parking lot from the Tesla SC to EPL, order, and start eating our P85D notifies us we have enough charge to continue to our next leg (usually Primm heading east and our home in Newport Beach going west).

We always go to the El Pollo Loco across the parking lot since it has very healthy menu choices, fast food delivery, and low prices... especially with EPL coupons or EPL app rewards offers.

Typically by the time we walk across the parking lot from the Tesla SC to EPL, order, and start eating our P85D notifies us we have enough charge to continue to our next leg (usually Primm heading east and our home in Newport Beach going west).

First time I’ve heard it called EPL but I like it. Gonna start saying that from now on.

Reactions: smilepak

Been doing the run through Barstow for a couple of years and find the take-out "Fresh Mex Bowls" to far superior to EPL.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ