Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that with a lot of superchargers, its not that there aren't a decent of choices in the area that are walkable. But....

#1 a lot of these places are built without thinking anyone walks. I was recently somewhere in Oregon that did not have a crosswalk anywhere near where I was trying to get to, and a lot of traffic. I ended not talking the perhaps extra 1/3 of a mile walk to get there safely.
Yup, that is what I absolutely hate about some Supercharger sites. They are often at the back end of large mall parking lots. And since those malls and the surrounding areas are built with cars in mind, with no planning for foot traffic (no sidewalks, limited street crossings), it becomes a very unpleasant hike to Starbucks or whatever.
And if you somehow decide to go to something on the other side of the road, then you are taking chances with your life insurance policy and patience. I may be exaggerating a little, but not that much (see Gilroy v Starbucks).

That Chili's definitely gets a lot of Tesla customers. I would always go to Innout pre-Tesla, but with the lines at that one, plus crossing the street in 122 degree weather keeps me going to Chili's when I pass by (and I don't particularly like Chili's).
No SC is worse than Quartzsite. It must have been a lot hotter than 122 degrees.

My wife is so picky about bathrooms, and I have never cared, (former USMC!) -- but even I did not want to use the filthy bathroom at the fast food place-- Carl's Junior-- that gave their parking lot to Tesla for superchargers at Quartzsite.

We walked across the street, dodging semis, to a place that was marginally not as bad.

Honestly, this discussion makes me really want to visit Baker, and see the supercharging station here. Last time were were there, at midnight, putting gasoline into my wife's old Mini-Cooper, it was 105 degrees and wind so fierce it about blew the doors off the car.

Last edited:
My wife is so picky about bathrooms, and I have never cared, (former USMC!) -- but even I did not want to use the filthy bathroom at the fast food place-- Carl's Junior-- that gave their parking lot to Tesla for superchargers at Quartzsite.

next time try the poopers in the outlet mall. my wife and her family used them without complaint, which is kind of incredible in itself.

i chose the ayres hotel, come to think of it the only time i have used the bathrooms at a supercharger were the times when i used a hotels facilities...

next time try the poopers in the outlet mall. my wife and her family used them without complaint, which is kind of incredible in itself.

i chose the ayres hotel, come to think of it the only time i have used the bathrooms at a supercharger were the times when i used a hotels facilities...
He's talking about Quartzsite, not Barstow. Definitely no outlet mall in Quartzsite lol.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
No SC is worse than Quartzsite. It must have been a lot hotter than 122 degrees.

We walked across the street, dodging semis, to a place that was marginally not as bad.

Honestly, this discussion makes me really want to visit Baker, and see the supercharging station here. Last time were were there, at midnight, putting gasoline into my wife's old Mini-Cooper, it was 105 degrees and wind so fierce it about blew the doors off the car.

Indeed - Quartzsite is arguably the worst SC on the continent if judged by the consistent filthiness of the restrooms at the host business. Not a good reflection upon Carl's Jr.

In fact, I had no idea they were open the first couple of times there, given the darkness of the parking lot, until a) a car went through the drive-thru and b) the fellow living/truck-camping in the back corner/edge of the parking lot went inside to use the aforementioned head.

In a word, sketch- meet -y.

The tumbleweeds that occasionally blow through there are a nice touch.

[Snippy]

Vern, when you say "my wife's old Mini-Cooper," do you mean the original "classic" Austin Mini with 875-1200 +/- cm^3 motors,or the updated BMW mini-cooper? Morris also marketed a mini-cooper, but I believe that it was just called a Morris Mini.

"The record high in Barstow was 118 °F on July 5, 2007."
BarstowTemp.jpg

• Informative
... if you somehow decide to go to something on the other side of the road, then you are taking chances with your life insurance policy and patience. I may be exaggerating a little, but not that much (see Gilroy v Starbucks).

Sorry, but what are you talking about? I don't mean that sarcastically; I'm just wondering, and I admit I'm too lazy to study up on the legal case.

Does anyone else find this a little bit ridiculous, or is it just me? If I'm planning a trip using the supercharger network, I expect to work around two variables: charging time and wait time (if all chargers are in use).

Now it sounds like I need to worry about those things in addition to charging time at rate X, charging time at rate Y, and jockeying for the "best" charging spot. Makes the whole process seem needlessly complex, IMO.

I always thought you just pull up to a supercharger, plug in, and get 150 miles per half-hour or 300 miles per hour. Simple.
Sorry but it seems you are whining without much reason.
We drove to Texas, from L.A., last summer, and did not pay one cent for fuel, and did not spend any extra time charging.
I mean, any time beyond what we would have spent eating, and peeing, and waiting for my wife in the line at the women's restroom, and so forth.

I just plotted our trip to Randsburg next month. We will have to charge in Barstow. Yay?

Vern,

From Whittier, it might not be that much of an additional drive (caveat: I am recalling from memory, and not doing the compass-and-straight edge drill) to head to Crest Highway and then take Angeles Forest Highway to SR14 and Supercharge in Mojave. Then up SR14 to the Randsburg Cut-Off and, voila! Those roads are a fun drive in a Tesla.

Barstow is out-of-the-way because you have to backtrack to Kramer's Junction before proceeding north on 395.

• Informative
Vern,

From Whittier, it might not be that much of an additional drive (caveat: I am recalling from memory, and not doing the compass-and-straight edge drill) to head to Crest Highway and then take Angeles Forest Highway to SR14 and Supercharge in Mojave. Then up SR14 to the Randsburg Cut-Off and, voila! Those roads are a fun drive in a Tesla.

Barstow is out-of-the-way because you have to backtrack to Kramer's Junction before proceeding north on 395.
Thanks-- I'll take a look at that.
Vern
Edit: I took a look at it, and I think we'll do it! It's not the route that EVTripplanner gives, but I like it more.

Last edited:
  • We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"