Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What identified the cars as being Project 100?

Each one had a little box on the dash (a tracking device?) with the address shiftup.co, which is definitely linked to Project 100.
image.jpg

I would contact the media inquiries hotline for these folks. Mention your next stop is the press. From their website:

For partnership and media inquiries please email [email protected].

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend folks tweet them back and post pictures-- including into this thread. It's unbelievable a company trying to drive "good" social change would have a bunch of inconsiderate people running around chargeblocking.

Last edited:
Whoa, hang on there Matt_D; there are always (at least) two sides to every story. Here's the response I got back this morning from Zach Ware, the founder of SHIFT by Project 100...

Hi Steve,

First of all, thanks for your note. We appreciate the heads up. I've spoken with our operations team and it seems this was a one-off event stemming from the fact that our charging center (located immediately overhead) is not yet live plus a declining battery charge related to our first installation of in-car hardware in our very first Model S vehicles.

There were four SHIFT vehicles using the public supercharger to achieve a full-charge. According to our team they were charging at all times and never left idle.

That said, it's not acceptable for us to block even a single Supercharger at any time, especially four. If I were in the shoes of the group of drivers trying to use the Supercharger, I would be very upset. It's hard enough at a Supercharging station like Barstow.

You and the traveling group can rest assured a) you will not encounter this inconvenience again at the hands of SHIFT and b) this weekend and going forward there will be no SHIFT vehicles between any driver or caravan and the Supercharger.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions.

Zach

--
Zach Ware

Founder, SHIFT by Project 100
https://about.me/zgware

I arrived at Barstow today at about 6 PM, and it was empty. I charged in the third stall from the right, which seems to work a little better than the second stall, which I used last time. (No fluctuation observed.)

Also was also at the Las Vegas supercharger at about 2 PM, and there were two other cars, which were gone when I left. These did not look like the Project 100 cars that I saw before.

I arrived at Barstow today [Monday] at about 6 PM, and it was empty.
There was a line 3-4 cars deep in the early afternoon on Sunday for 2-3 hours.

Herein lies the rub. This is a ridiculously busy route on Fridays and Sundays, and fairly quiet the other days. I am planning a trip to Vegas later this month. I certainly will avoid traveling on those days.
Does anybody have some news on when/if this will be updated?

Last edited:
Drove up Friday from LA and got to Barstow after lunch and 3 stalls were occupied and i took the last one.

charged around 88kw no issues.

on way back from Vegas got to Barstow at 3pm and 3 stalls were filled and 1A wasn't working. Called Tesla and they said could be the handle was dropped etc...because the stall was getting power. I waited 15 mins for another stall. as i left 2 other T's pulled up and had to deal with waiting.

i saw no evidence of expansion. Although the waitress at Chili's swore that they were going to expand.

I'm sure she has the inside scoop....NOT

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

We passed through Barstow this evening (Tuesday 7/22) around 6pm and saw these two crates there. I do not recall seeing them when we went through Barstow on Sunday. Two Tesla marked crates with "Expedited" tape around them.

The bobcat was there on Sunday. Not sure if that is there for this work or not though. It's right next to the stalls so it seems likely.

Stall 1A worked for me this evening but it wasn't that great. I switched to the far right one (2B? forgot to look) and it was a bit better. The four that are there are still the 90kW originals. Wish these were faster. It takes about 1-1.2 hours to charge. Hopefully these boxes are the new ones.