Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Map, Barstow has a Red Circle indicating the "site" is operational. However, the old (4X 90kW) site has been ripped out, four 120kW temporary chargers have been placed nearby, and the construction of 8 new 135kW chargers with solar canopy and battery bank is underway.
This kind of "site upgrade" may happen more and more often as original old sites are improved.
Should the Map Creator make a new icon for "Upgrade or Remodel In Progress" ?
I glance at the map all the time to scan the build-out progress throughout the world (I know, get a life); to see a new permit, see it change to under construction, and finally to see it Go Live!
I'd like to monitor Upgrades and Remodels the same way. What do you say oh wondrous controller of the Map?

Even with an 85 it is not always easy making it to Barstow from Vegas. We had 25 mph winds during the route and never drove over 65 mph and arrived in Barstow with 11 miles left. This is after a range charge before leaving Vegas.

Those headwinds must have had a huge influence. I just made it back from Las Vegas to LA, and my LV/Barstow numbers (54.1 kWH @ 323 Wh/mi) easily beat EVTripper's estimates of 62.0 kWH/396 wH/mi using average speed at 1.05 (70-75 MPH), 68/100F, 500 payload.
photo 1.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

BTW re: current Barstow SC construction status: talked to worker on 8/22, and he said target completion date is 8/29.
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

I actually like the temporary SC setup - allowing one Tesla head in, and one back in per charging island.

Last edited:
It is always great to get an update with photos. I think by now we all know what a charging pedestal, supercharger, and distribution cabinets look like, so it is great to get some photos of the site from a distance to give us the perspective we need to see the site in totality!! again... many thanks for the photos!!

A canopy anywhere in the southwest is a great idea for the solar panels {energy etc} AND the shade. It's blistering out there in many SW locations.... thank goodness for remote climate control!!:smile:

Hummm... I'm not sure I see where this will be covered similarly to Tejon Ranch CA..... but here's hoping it happens!!

Here is an even more wide-angled panoramic shot including the temporary SC islands on the right. Keep in mind the 8 SC's are actually lined up, and not bent out of shape in this distorted perspective.
photo 5.jpg

Check out the 5th SC station kissing a SC station at 90 degrees. You can barely see it in the pano shot, hiding behind the 4th SC.
photo 6.JPG

Looks like there will be space for 4 Teslas backing in; and 4 Teslas heading in. Equal opportunity for those who debate whether to head in or back in. :biggrin:

Thank you for your great panoramic shot!! It looks like there will be a new Utility Transformer {UT} at this site also. The Utility Transformer pad appears right in front of the Distribution Cabinets.

...but at least this site has power to the portable supercharger pedestals until the Utility Transformer arrives and hooks up to the 8 new charging pedestals!

It will be interesting to note how long it takes for the Utility Transformer to arrive etc. The UT has been the slow part of so many site locations. Once it arrives and is hooked up, the new eight supercharger pedestals will be live:biggrin:

It also looks like there may be some pre-plumbing done for more distribution cabinets and more superchargers...? Does anyone have a good look {Photo} of the pad site area??

Maybe the portable superchargers will stay for a while! .... see what the congestion looks like over the next year or so..... that'd be nice to have 12 and, as you said maybe 16!! Yikes, that's like some gas stations now!!

I'm trying to remember how many gas pumps are at the mobil gas station Tejon Pass CA... I know it has quite a few, and each pump has several gas options, soo maybe something like 32with options.

It will be interesting where Tesla goes with the total number of charging stalls at any given supercharger site as the years go by. Maybe we will see a row of 32 supercharging pedestals someday???