Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming it was fixed today, that's a 3 business day response time. That's on the longish side for critical infrastructure. I don't know how Tesla's service contracts work, but in areas we operate we typically keep a contractor essentially on retainer: if our system goes down, they must respond within X amount of time. In our case it's 12 hours, but that probably doesn't make sense for Superchargers. In any case, the point is we're not hunting through the phone book trying to find someone to do the work.

In all likelihood, Tesla has something similar in place. Had it just been clipped or disconnected wires, maybe it could have been back up quickly. But combine it with component theft the contractor doesn't keep in stock and maybe you have a problem. It seems pretty likely to me that Tesla's going to have some of these breakers available in each region in the future.

Exactly... No one here knows what Tesla's SLAs are like for this infrastructure, they don't know who Tesla is contracting with in that region for the work, nor do they know the availability of the stolen infrastructure in relation to the installation itself...

While I concur 3 business days may be a stretch, it's quite possible that Tesla never thought about this contingency and was caught off guard. They likely won't make that mistake twice but people have to give them a break on this one...

Jeff

They need to lock all electrical away like this Kelowna BC Supercharger site, and have a loud alarm if any door is opened, plus have visible and hidden cameras, and alarm/camera warning signs. Problem solved...

Kelowna SC.jpg

Assuming it was fixed today, that's a 3 business day response time. That's on the longish side for critical infrastructure. I don't know how Tesla's service contracts work, but in areas we operate we typically keep a contractor essentially on retainer: if our system goes down, they must respond within X amount of time. In our case it's 12 hours, but that probably doesn't make sense for Superchargers. In any case, the point is we're not hunting through the phone book trying to find someone to do the work.

In all likelihood, Tesla has something similar in place. Had it just been clipped or disconnected wires, maybe it could have been back up quickly. But combine it with component theft the contractor doesn't keep in stock and maybe you have a problem. It seems pretty likely to me that Tesla's going to have some of these breakers available in each region in the future.

I don't think anyone planned for someone to steal every redundant critical part to bring the entire down. It's an extremely unlikely scenario except in case of sabotage for the whole damn thing to be down. Blame the saboteurs, not Tesla. Could have been worse as well.

Reactions: jvonbokel
If the intent was to sabotage it to cause the most problems, wouldn't that have taken place tonight, since American Thanksgivings is tomorrow and most people take Friday off? So travel would be worse from tomorrow through to Sunday. The saboteurs would likely think it would take a couple of days to get back up -- so to cause the most interruption they seem to have done it too soon. That's where the sabotage theory breaks down for me. But vandalism doesn't seem right either. A targeted theft for these particular parts seems to make the most sense. Keep an eye out for your neighbour suddenly being able to supercharge his Tesla in his garage... ;)

UPDATE to my earlier post: I just entered "Las Vegas NV" as a nav destination in my S85 which currently shows 220 miles of range. I live near San Francisco. The resulting route displayed in the nav took me as follows:

Gilroy (charge for 15 minutes) / Harris Ranch (charge for 50 minutes) / Mohave (charge for 60 minutes) / Primm (charge for 15 minutes) / arrive in Las Vegas with 29% SOC.

So contrary to what some others have reported in this thread recently, the car nav knows that Barstow is not available right now. For my route it clearly indicates that I have to do a full charge in Mohave to get to Primm, which is about 183 miles (an S60 could maybe make that at 55-60mph with no significant headwinds). The displayed route doesn't even show the Barstow Supercharger, but I noticed that while it was calculating the route the map did show Barstow but not with the usual symbol, it showed a different and grey-out symbol which I assume indicated that the Barstow Supercharger was not available to the route planning software.

So the Tesla car nav appears to be smarter than some people think it is.

Fan, I will take a contrary position:

In May 2015, I drove from Fresno to Kingman. I used the trip planner (beta) version just to get a sense of the total time, including charging. The Tesla plan was home--->Mojave --->Needles ---> Kingman. It bypassed Barstow for a 45-minute charge in Mojave. Barstow is about an 8-10 minute round trip detour arriving from the west on California 58. It would be a better experiment if someone from San Diego plotted a trip to Vegas to see if in actuality the navigation system is smart and will avoid Barstow.

Cheers!

While I concur 3 business days may be a stretch, it's quite possible that Tesla never thought about this contingency and was caught off guard. They likely won't make that mistake twice but people have to give them a break on this one...
Exactly. That's what I was getting at.

I don't think anyone planned for someone to steal every redundant critical part to bring the entire down. It's an extremely unlikely scenario except in case of sabotage for the whole damn thing to be down. Blame the saboteurs, not Tesla. Could have been worse as well.
Indeed. The second paragraph of my comment meant exactly this. I didn't explain myself well, I think.

It's likely that hadn't realized the theft of these components would be a thing that happened, and thus didn't have them available to replace quickly. If I'm not mistaken, either Santa Anna or Santa Nella had this same box populated with components and sitting wide open and a forum member took a bunch of progress pictures. It's just something they didn't think would happen and weren't prepared for. If that is what happened, I doubt they're caught off-guard again.

If the intent was to sabotage it to cause the most problems, wouldn't that have taken place tonight, since American Thanksgivings is tomorrow and most people take Friday off? So travel would be worse from tomorrow through to Sunday. The saboteurs would likely think it would take a couple of days to get back up -- so to cause the most interruption they seem to have done it too soon. That's where the sabotage theory breaks down for me. But vandalism doesn't seem right either. A targeted theft for these particular parts seems to make the most sense. Keep an eye out for your neighbour suddenly being able to supercharge his Tesla in his garage... ;)
Maybe because too many Teslas would be on the road tonight and using the Superchargers there? The saboteurs needed to do their deed when it's likely no one would be around as witnesses.

Much less likely to be empty as the long weekend approached. Vegas never sleeps.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Fan, I will take a contrary position:
In May 2015, I drove from Fresno to Kingman. I used the trip planner (beta) version just to get a sense of the total time, including charging. The Tesla plan was home--->Mojave --->Needles ---> Kingman. It bypassed Barstow for a 45-minute charge in Mojave. Barstow is about an 8-10 minute round trip detour arriving from the west on California 58. It would be a better experiment if someone from San Diego plotted a trip to Vegas to see if in actuality the navigation system is smart and will avoid Barstow.!
Good point! But it sounds like we have lost the opportunity to test our theory since there are now reports of Barstow being operational again.

All I can say is that, as I described in my post, when I entered Las Vegas as a destination in my car nav this morning, as it was "calculating" I noticed that the Barstow SC icon was different from all the other SC icons, possibly indicating that the nav knew Barstow wasn't available. And the fact that the displayed route showed a 1 hour charge time at Mohave and no charge stop in Barstow seemed to confirm that.

Last edited:
Man some of you really need to take a freaking chill pill... I swear, some of you would complain no matter what Tesla did... Say they fixed it in 12 hours, you'd be here complaining they didn't do it in 11...

Some of you have absolutely zero idea how logistics works... You simply cannot pick up the phone book and call the nearest electrician, it simply doesn't work that way...

Jeff
Yup, we could be stuck with Blink response time measured in months

As of yesterday Barstow is still being repaired, saw a construction truck parked near the transformer cabinet from afar. I charged to 100% from Rancho SC and drove average 70 mph most of the way, made it to Primm with 25% charge left. You can probably charge 90% (last 10% took forever to charge) at Rancho SC and still be able to make it if you drive carefully. Monitoring the charge remaining the whole trip and adjust the speed accordingly.

As of yesterday Barstow is still being repaired, saw a construction truck parked near the transformer cabinet from afar. I charged to 100% from Rancho SC and drove average 70 mph most of the way, made it to Primm with 25% charge left. You can probably charge 90% (last 10% took forever to charge) at Rancho SC and still be able to make it if you drive carefully. Monitoring the charge remaining the whole trip and adjust the speed accordingly.

Hello clx,

Thanks for the info. I am guessing you have a bigger battery than me. I have a 60 and the Rancho to Primm drive scares me, even with a full battery.