Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Barstow 8-3-14 Equipment/Chargers on site! Much needed charging is slow here with 4 cars charging at a snails pace. Two cars waiting in the cue.

photo 1.JPG

My guess is that the team doing the installation at St. George will be headed here when they're done. It appears Tesla has roving Supercharger installation teams, because the same team did Salina before starting on St George (based on a conversation someone had with them in Salina). In other words, I think it will be a couple of weeks until that equipment is unboxed and Barstow gets it's badly needed expansion. Unfortunately, based on the lack of any progress at Oxnard and Indio, Tesla doesn't appear to have a dedicated California team.

It's awesome that they'll be done just in time for the end of the busy summer travel season. Tesla does a lot of stuff right, but Barstow has been a significant exception to that. The cross country route is starting to look like a novelty, a benefit to a very small group, many of whom may have used the route just because it was there. Perhaps they should have concentrated regionally first.

Indio and Oxnard seem to delayed due to local developer blockages or power company blockages to new sites. Hopefully, since Barstow is an existing installation, the power company will just need to upgrade the current transformer or add a transformer, which sounds less complicated than a new installation and probably wont require new trenching from the power line to the transformer site. I am, of course just speculating...

It's awesome that they'll be done just in time for the end of the busy summer travel season. Tesla does a lot of stuff right, but Barstow has been a significant exception to that. The cross country route is starting to look like a novelty, a benefit to a very small group, many of whom may have used the route just because it was there. Perhaps they should have concentrated regionally first.

Hopefully the new chargers are up by the end of the month, I really hope. I don't know what other SpC sites have been upgraded and how long they took to compare to, but hopefully the heavy lifting is done, and it'll be a short order. I think TM was thinking they should be able to boast NY - LA cross country driving then develop the rest of the country. Leaves a lull in the middle like now, but hopefully this time next year they'll be everywhere, again, maybe that's wishful thinking.

Hopefully the new chargers are up by the end of the month, I really hope. I don't know what other SpC sites have been upgraded and how long they took to compare to, but hopefully the heavy lifting is done, and it'll be a short order. I think TM was thinking they should be able to boast NY - LA cross country driving then develop the rest of the country. Leaves a lull in the middle like now, but hopefully this time next year they'll be everywhere, again, maybe that's wishful thinking.

Gilroy was one of the original six Supercharger sites that was upgraded. They just installed another Supercharger in the same parking lot and left the old Supercharger operating.

I was just there & spoke to the contractor, the temp superchargers were being placed & simply secured by drilling into the asphalt & running power to them by laying a line above ground, work should take a couple of days but from there it gets passed to the utility co, permits & final testing, hoping to be live next week, this crew was from the Project 100 SpC in Vegas & he didn't know where they would be sent next or what the future plans were for Bartsow.

IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG

I was just there & spoke to the contractor, the temp superchargers were being placed & simply secured by drilling into the asphalt & running power to them by laying a line above ground, work should take a couple of days but from there it gets passed to the utility co, permits & final testing, hoping to be live next week, this crew was from the Project 100 SpC in Vegas & he didn't know where they would be sent next or what the future plans were for Bartsow.

I hope that they have 480 Volt service available. I believe that the original 6 Superchargers, including Barstow, were connected with 208 Volt service. Gen II Superchargers can put out a total of 135 kW (120 max to one car) with 480 Volts, but I believe that they can only put out a total of 90 kW on 208 Volt service. It will be interesting to see what charge rates are like when these new mobile Superchargers go live.

I hope that they have 480 Volt service available. I believe that the original 6 Superchargers, including Barstow, were connected with 208 Volt service. Gen II Superchargers can put out a total of 135 kW (120 max to one car) with 480 Volts, but I believe that they can only put out a total of 90 kW on 208 Volt service. It will be interesting to see what charge rates are like when these new mobile Superchargers go live.

My recollection was that of those 6 only Harris Ranch (the original 1-stall installation) was 208V. Certainly Folsom had its own transformer and was 480V - which I thought was the case for the other 5 too.

My recollection was that of those 6 only Harris Ranch (the original 1-stall installation) was 208V. Certainly Folsom had its own transformer and was 480V - which I thought was the case for the other 5 too.

Hmmm... I thought that the Gen 0 Supercharger Cabinet design used in those first 6 sites only accepted 208 Volts. I don't have a picture on the labels from one of those Gen 0 Cabinets for reference. Does anyone have such pics? If not, we should get pictures of the labels and the rest of the cabinet and pedestal views to document them before they all disappear from the wild.