Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Basking Ridge, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
Stumbled upon this when googling for meeting minutes in Parsippany for the SC installation up there.

http://www.bernards.org/Board Of Adjustment/Minutes/2018/m05092018 reg.pdf
http://www.bernards.org/Board Of Ad.../2018/ZB18-013 Site Aquisitions LLC Tesla.pdf

This isn't even on the Tesla Supercharging site. But there's a request to install Supercharging at 403 King George Rd, Basking Ridge NJ 07920

This could be a long way off as the application seems to be missing some stuff. But it looks to be pretty conveniently located with ample parking, but only 4 SC stalls in the application.

A short distance off 78. Good for bridging travel East & West to NYC. Hopefully this will get built.

Stumbled upon this when googling for meeting minutes in Parsippany for the SC installation up there.

http://www.bernards.org/Board Of Adjustment/Minutes/2018/m05092018 reg.pdf
http://www.bernards.org/Board Of Adjustment/Applications/2018/ZB18-013 Site Aquisitions LLC Tesla.pdf

This isn't even on the Tesla Supercharging site. But there's a request to install Supercharging at 403 King George Rd, Basking Ridge NJ 07920

This could be a long way off as the application seems to be missing some stuff. But it looks to be pretty conveniently located with ample parking, but only 4 SC stalls in the application.

A short distance off 78. Good for bridging travel East & West to NYC. Hopefully this will get built.
It says 4 cabinets and 8 posts (stallls), so normal size.

Reactions: tanker5
A little bit too far off I-287 to be useful to people other than locals and I-78 travelers. (The Parsippany supercharger is slightly closer to I-287 but still a bit inconvenient.) I'm hopeful this isn't the Bridgewater location on Tesla's map and that there's still another location coming closer to 287/202/22. Still, a great find, and of course the more the merrier!

Reactions: vdiv
A little bit too far off I-287 to be useful to people other than locals and I-78 travelers. (The Parsippany supercharger is slightly closer to I-287 but still a bit inconvenient.) I'm hopeful this isn't the Bridgewater location on Tesla's map and that there's still another location coming closer to 287/202/22. Still, a great find, and of course the more the merrier!

I think you’re spot on. The 287 corridor is still empty, which leads me to think the Bridgewater one still still come. I think this is to address 78 specifically. It probably connects the Allentown / Phillipsburg / Summit / JC path straight into NY. That line seems to be pretty evenly spread according to my eyeball on google maps.

I think based on the future Pompton lakes location, the one in a Bridgewater almost has to be off of 287 and most likely an unannounced on around the 287/24 area.

http://www.bernards.org/Board Of Adjustment/Minutes/2018/m07122018 special.pdf
Zoning application complete. Not sure what the next step is but I'm thinking its going to be a while before construction starts.

I’m not too familiar with this town. But I think this is just a use variance, some towns still need to go through a planning/construction board and final township committee approval.

Once that’s all done though, it seems like this is a “minor” project. So....4-5 hours tops. o_O
My guess would be by the end of the year though.

basically more that home, probablty.
60kw = 1kwh/minute so if it's 120, thats 2kwh/minute, and faster, but it tapers quickly and will get below 90 ($0.18 per minute at home rate) and spend more time there than above 90. At 60 it changes to less than, tapering to about equal, so overall I'd expect about a slight bit more than at home, but pretty close.

The other part of the calculation is time. Charging at home is easy, for most people it takes 5-10 seconds to plug and unplug, and if you charge overnight it generally doesn't matter how much you need. Supercharging is fast, but you have to drive to the charger, and either wait with the car or otherwise occupy yourself while it's charging. If the costs are about the same, I'd definitely bias toward home charging.

The other part of the calculation is time. Charging at home is easy, for most people it takes 5-10 seconds to plug and unplug, and if you charge overnight it generally doesn't matter how much you need. Supercharging is fast, but you have to drive to the charger, and either wait with the car or otherwise occupy yourself while it's charging. If the costs are about the same, I'd definitely bias toward home charging.

Convenience and time is a huge factor. I bet if you took a poll of even those who had free supercharging, only a small percentage uses a SC as their main source of charging.

For calculation sake, the avg driver does 12,000 miles a year. At 320wh/mi (Model X rated) that’s 3840kwh or $690/year. Since X and S had referral for free supercharging, you might have a Model 3 which would be 240wh/mi or $520/year saved. That’s using free supercharging vs paying at 0.18c/kWh, so if you’re paying for supercharging; then that number drops significantly.

*Assuming you can grab a consistent 59Kw rate to charge, you would pay an estimated $350 @ $0.12/min to charge over that year. Savings of $180/year - and assumes you live next door to a supercharger. Otherwise you’re consuming some energy to get to and from the SC even if you consider your time is not worth anything

Still trying to figure out the cost of Supercharging vs charging at home. If PSEG is charing me an average of $0.18 per kWh, how does that compare with Tesla’s:

$0.24 per minute above 60 kW
$0.12 per minute at or below 60 kW

60kW is 1kWh per minute.
So, SC would be cheaper
>90kW
Between 40kW and 60kW.
Best case 3mi/kWh, 12c v 18c / kWh, difference 2c/mi
2c/mi is $2,000 per 100,000 miles.
So, the cheapest option is probably a used Versa.

Since there is no communications from Tesla about superchargers that are in process of being built, the information on supercharger.info are from Tesla enthusiasts like us who happened to locate a permit or construction. The chart of built superchargers at supercharge.info shows that there has been a steady growth of superchargers over the years. If anything, it has stepped up a bit lately.

Since there is no communications from Tesla about superchargers that are in process of being built, the information on supercharger.info are from Tesla enthusiasts like us who happened to locate a permit or construction. The chart of built superchargers at supercharge.info shows that there has been a steady growth of superchargers over the years. If anything, it has stepped up a bit lately.
Thanks, I know the map is not the official Tesla one. I have been impressed with the number of superchargers that have sprung up in the last year but just noticed the greater number of blue dots versus orange cones. It's just that some of the permits have been around for quite a while but I'll concede a lot of construction has gone on along the I95 corridor in the east and California in the West. Some of the local towns in NJ can sit on these plans for quite a while ;)