TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Basking Ridge, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Yinn, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Stumbled upon this when googling for meeting minutes in Parsippany for the SC installation up there.

http://www.bernards.org/Board%20Of%20Adjustment/Minutes/2018/m05092018%20reg.pdf
    http://www.bernards.org/Board%20Of%20Adjustment/Applications/2018/ZB18-013%20Site%20Aquisitions%20LLC%20Tesla.pdf

This isn't even on the Tesla Supercharging site. But there's a request to install Supercharging at 403 King George Rd, Basking Ridge NJ 07920

This could be a long way off as the application seems to be missing some stuff. But it looks to be pretty conveniently located with ample parking, but only 4 SC stalls in the application.

A short distance off 78. Good for bridging travel East & West to NYC. Hopefully this will get built.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

It says 4 cabinets and 8 posts (stallls), so normal size.

• Like x 1
  3. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

You’re right. I must’ve read too quickly

4. paulkva

paulkva Member

A little bit too far off I-287 to be useful to people other than locals and I-78 travelers. (The Parsippany supercharger is slightly closer to I-287 but still a bit inconvenient.) I'm hopeful this isn't the Bridgewater location on Tesla's map and that there's still another location coming closer to 287/202/22. Still, a great find, and of course the more the merrier!

• Like x 1
  5. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I think you’re spot on. The 287 corridor is still empty, which leads me to think the Bridgewater one still still come. I think this is to address 78 specifically. It probably connects the Allentown / Phillipsburg / Summit / JC path straight into NY. That line seems to be pretty evenly spread according to my eyeball on google maps.

I think based on the future Pompton lakes location, the one in a Bridgewater almost has to be off of 287 and most likely an unannounced on around the 287/24 area.

6. Andrew Berman

Andrew Berman Member

I'm liking this one... but I'll love it more when Bridgewater gets one. For now, New Jersey west of US 1 and Paramus is still a supercharger desert.

7. mmccord

mmccord Member

I have a feeling it will be many more years before Sussex County gets a supercharger. :(

8. preilly44

preilly44 Member

Any updates on this?

9. NJDVM3

NJDVM3 New Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. NJDVM3

NJDVM3 New Member

11. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I’m not too familiar with this town. But I think this is just a use variance, some towns still need to go through a planning/construction board and final township committee approval.

Once that’s all done though, it seems like this is a “minor” project. So....4-5 hours tops. o_O
    My guess would be by the end of the year though.

12. Zidarich

Zidarich Member

Still trying to figure out the cost of Supercharging vs charging at home. If PSEG is charing me an average of $0.18 per kWh, how does that compare with Tesla’s:

$0.24 per minute above 60 kW
    $0.12 per minute at or below 60 kW

13. Syd

Syd Member

basically more that home, probablty.
    60kw = 1kwh/minute so if it's 120, thats 2kwh/minute, and faster, but it tapers quickly and will get below 90 ($0.18 per minute at home rate) and spend more time there than above 90. At 60 it changes to less than, tapering to about equal, so overall I'd expect about a slight bit more than at home, but pretty close.

14. paulkva

paulkva Member

The other part of the calculation is time. Charging at home is easy, for most people it takes 5-10 seconds to plug and unplug, and if you charge overnight it generally doesn't matter how much you need. Supercharging is fast, but you have to drive to the charger, and either wait with the car or otherwise occupy yourself while it's charging. If the costs are about the same, I'd definitely bias toward home charging.

15. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Convenience and time is a huge factor. I bet if you took a poll of even those who had free supercharging, only a small percentage uses a SC as their main source of charging.

For calculation sake, the avg driver does 12,000 miles a year. At 320wh/mi (Model X rated) that’s 3840kwh or $690/year. Since X and S had referral for free supercharging, you might have a Model 3 which would be 240wh/mi or $520/year saved. That’s using free supercharging vs paying at 0.18c/kWh, so if you’re paying for supercharging; then that number drops significantly.

*Assuming you can grab a consistent 59Kw rate to charge, you would pay an estimated $350 @ $0.12/min to charge over that year. Savings of $180/year - and assumes you live next door to a supercharger. Otherwise you’re consuming some energy to get to and from the SC even if you consider your time is not worth anything

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

60kW is 1kWh per minute.
    So, SC would be cheaper
    >90kW
    Between 40kW and 60kW.
    Best case 3mi/kWh, 12c v 18c / kWh, difference 2c/mi
    2c/mi is $2,000 per 100,000 miles.
    So, the cheapest option is probably a used Versa.

17. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I was in the area this morning. There's nothing going on. No boxes, no signs of construction, no signs.

18. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2 MCU1 42.2

If you look at this map supercharge.info there seems to be a lot more "permits" than "construction cones" these days. Had Tesla slowed down building out supercharger sites due to cash crunch?

19. Blue_Model_S

Blue_Model_S Member

Since there is no communications from Tesla about superchargers that are in process of being built, the information on supercharger.info are from Tesla enthusiasts like us who happened to locate a permit or construction. The chart of built superchargers at supercharge.info shows that there has been a steady growth of superchargers over the years. If anything, it has stepped up a bit lately.

20. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2 MCU1 42.2

Thanks, I know the map is not the official Tesla one. I have been impressed with the number of superchargers that have sprung up in the last year but just noticed the greater number of blue dots versus orange cones. It's just that some of the permits have been around for quite a while but I'll concede a lot of construction has gone on along the I95 corridor in the east and California in the West. Some of the local towns in NJ can sit on these plans for quite a while ;)