Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Basking Ridge, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I know the map is not the official Tesla one. I have been impressed with the number of superchargers that have sprung up in the last year but just noticed the greater number of blue dots versus orange cones. It's just that some of the permits have been around for quite a while but I'll concede a lot of construction has gone on along the I95 corridor in the east and California in the West. Some of the local towns in NJ can sit on these plans for quite a while ;)

In fairness, Tesla may have anticipated some of it too. The Basking Ridge one isn't even officially announced. So despite the permit, Tesla may not even have an intention to build this until 2020 for all we know. We as owners just like to stick our nose in it and make blue dots I guess.

Reactions: BlueRocket
This site was just approved. Supposedly Tesla plans to install before the end of the year.

Source (paywall): Tesla 'charging' station OK'd in Bernards Township

Text:

BERNARDS TOWNSHIP BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT Tesla 'charging' station OK'd in Bernards Township By W. JACOB PERRY Staff Writer

BERNARDS TWP. – Plans to install a Tesla “supercharging station” at the Dewy Meadow Village shopping center could make the township, quite literally, a magnet for electric vehicles.

The proposal, which calls for the installation of eight charging posts behind eight existing parking spaces at the King George Road site, was approved by the Board of Adjustment in a 7-0 vote after a public hearing on Wednesday, Oct. 5.

The chargers will be located in the northeast corner of Dewy Meadow, near the vacant, former Millington Savings Bank building. Installation is expected before the end of December.

Henry Misas, installation manager for Tesla, told the board that the proposal was part of Tesla’s plan to build a “super-charging network” designed to give its motorists the “freedom to re-charge anywhere they want.”

The charging station would be for Tesla cars only, he said.

Misas said he is working on “at least a dozen” charging station projects in New Jersey, but presently there are none in the Interstate Route 78 corridor between New York City and Allentown, Pa. He said Dewy Meadow is near the midpoint and also close to I-287.

Tesla cars presently go about 300 miles after being recharged, and the automaker hopes to boost that total to 600 miles within five years, he said. It takes about 40 minutes to fully charge a car, which Tesla hopes to reduce, but someone can opt to charge for only 10 minutes, he added.

Joseph Korn, property manager for Dewy Meadow, portrayed the 40-minute wait as asset, saying motorists would likely use the time to eat at Dunkin’ Donuts, O’Bagel, the pizzeria or the restaurants at Dewy Meadow.

“That’s really what the idea was,” Korn said. “We’re trying to get it to support our businesses.”

Motorists would pull out an eight-foot-long cable and plug it into their car. The eight charging posts would be 55 inches high. There would also be four supercharger cabinets and four auto-transformers, which were described as being the size of “a standard refrigerator.”

Korn said an eight-foot high berm would screen the equipment from homes to the north.

The charging station would be available 24 hours a day but Misas said he expected few motorists to pull in overnight. He also said charging is largely silent, making sounds akin to “a small fan.”

The eight parking spaces in front of the charging posts would not be “Tesla specific” and could still be used by anyone, said project engineer Andrew Miller.

A use variance was required because the business zone does not list charging stations as a permitted use. Additional variances were required for the charging posts to have Tesla signs and for the signs to be internally illuminated.

Art Bernard, a Lambertville-based professional planner hired by the applicant, said the project would advance a township master plan goal to improve air quality. He also said the site, being near I-78, is “a place where you’d want people to charge their batteries.”

Credit: Tesla Daily Discussion - October 10, 2018 : teslamotors

I could be wrong, but I don't see this SC listed on the updated 2019 Tesla SC map. I hope I'm wrong...
You're right that it's not currently on the map, but if you're worried that that indicates that the project was dropped you'd be wrong. Tesla just updated their map and the target date info on a lot of sites. Invariably that creates some errors. Sites may disappear, spelling mistakes can crop up, bad data sneaks in, etc. Besides, they just got their site planning approval in November. Look for progress in the new year.

BTW, for those in the area who are going around to look: The Planning Board meeting discussing the project identified the general area within the plaza where the chargers are going to be installed. It was in the Northeast corner lot by the former bank building. My guess for the area they are talking about is here. But it could be anywhere in that area.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRocket
You're right that it's not currently on the map, but if you're worried that that indicates that the project was dropped you'd be wrong. Tesla just updated their map and the target date info on a lot of sites. Invariably that creates some errors. Sites may disappear, spelling mistakes can crop up, bad data sneaks in, etc. Besides, they just got their site planning approval in November. Look for progress in the new year.

BTW, for those in the area who are going around to look: The Planning Board meeting discussing the project identified the general area within the plaza where the chargers are going to be installed. It was in the Northeast corner lot by the former bank building. My guess for the area they are talking about is here. But it could be anywhere in that area.

Thanks for the update. This one was also never on the map to begin with. It was always a surprise, just like Kearny and Rockaway are both surprises.

I did the same and stopped at the Dunkin’ Donuts. I was told the complex is going to be demolished and apartments are going in summer 2019. So I’d guess this would either be a part of that, or delayed until that finishes. I doubt they’d put these in before that.

Is this a different permit and application than in the original post? I get a login screen
No, that's the permit application for this installation. The original posting was about applying for Planning/Zoning Board approvals which are (usually) part of the pre-permitting phase of construction. So, this represents progress that we're now seeing an application for an actual building permit. The involvement of SAI Group, one of Tesla's big contractors for supercharger installs, together with the address and description ties it to the supercharger install.

To use SDL Portal, you need to register. But I've screen captured the page so you can see what's there without bothering.
Screenshot_2019-01-23 SDL Portal.png

No, that's the permit application for this installation. The original posting was about applying for Planning/Zoning Board approvals which are (usually) part of the pre-permitting phase of construction. So, this represents progress that we're now seeing an application for an actual building permit. The involvement of SAI Group, one of Tesla's big contractors for supercharger installs, together with the address and description ties it to the supercharger install.

To use SDL Portal, you need to register. But I've screen captured the page so you can see what's there without bothering.
View attachment 371239

Thanks!

A quick update. The status for the permit application is now Plan Review Pending. From my personal experience, its usually about 2-3 weeks to get approved if there are no issues. Also, it was interesting to see the cost of the project $69,429 or about $9k per charger.