Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bassano, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite the bizarre looking thing, but Canada apparently reserved a lot of them, Thinking about the stainless steel, lack of door dings. I don't need a truck, but if I did... I just want to upgrade my S to a RAVEN :D I just don't want to spend the $80,000 over trade in of my 2016 S. An affordable chevy S-10 sized cybertruck would be interesting.

Can anyone report on if the Bassano station is pushing electrons yet? Looks like Medicine Hat, Swift Current, and Maple Creek are all showing life, even if it’s only around 25-30kw. I’ll be stopping by every station from Strathmore to Swift Current as well as Davidson Friday and Saturday and will report on each of those threads.

... think most people aren't seeing the numbers because of the cold battery temps.

I hope that's all it was, although mine wasn't stone-cold, I had been driving it for an hour (at City speeds, not hwy), so I'd have expected better than I was getting. Still, I'm happy to hear others are getting decent charge speed! Did you have to pay the SC fee? It was free for me (I don't have any free Supercharging).

It’s alive!
image.jpg

Are you guys with slow speeds using navigate to supercharger to precondition it?

Note that navigating a short distance to a Supercharger is not enough to preheat the battery for full speed charging. It can take 30+ minutes of preheating to get it over 60 kW in very cold weather.

In addition to preconditioning the battery when navigating to a Supercharger, the car will precondition the battery when using remote climate control. I highly recommend this if you're planning on using a Supercharger first thing in the morning. It's unlikely that folks will ever see 250 kW at their local Supercharger because that simply isn't enough time to get the battery up to temperature in any weather conditions, short of being parked in the full summer sun for a few hours.

Note that navigating a short distance to a Supercharger is not enough to preheat the battery for full speed charging. It can take 30+ minutes of preheating to get it over 60 kW in very cold weather.

In addition to preconditioning the battery when navigating to a Supercharger, the car will precondition the battery when using remote climate control. I highly recommend this if you're planning on using a Supercharger first thing in the morning. It's unlikely that folks will ever see 250 kW at their local Supercharger because that simply isn't enough time to get the battery up to temperature in any weather conditions, short of being parked in the full summer sun for a few hours.

People asked Elon to add pre conditioning or pre warm manual button and he did say yes. So hopefully will get it soon especially in the colder climate area.

People asked Elon to add pre conditioning or pre warm manual button and he did say yes. So hopefully will get it soon especially in the colder climate area.

He gave us preconditioning when navigating to a Supercharger or when pre-heating the cabin (although that heats the battery to a lesser extent than does navigating to a Supercharger). I don't expect to see a manual battery heating button in the future.

Reactions: outdoors
lolz, even an urban charger CAN charge faster, it's gotta be the cold. Was your car cold soaked before you left? Or was it garaged?
I think the difference is if you start cold, but if you started not so cold, then I don't know why it shoulda done better than that.

With 10s of thousands of KMs on mine in the winter, I’ll just say that what you’re seeing is NOT normal.

What he said!

BUT, I only have about 17,000 Km on mine. Most in winter. There are many factors that can cause slow charging, and I have experienced it on some V3 chargers here in MB.
Is it cold in Bassano - Wind Chill of -15C so not that bad, but at AB highway speeds add another -10 or -15 C to that - so about -30 or even -40 Wind Chill for conditioning to tackle? I see your battery was at a fairly decent level starting. I have noticed that the higher the charge is, the slower the V3 charger starts off at. How long did you charge for? What was the final rate?
Did you try another pedestal?

What he said!

BUT, I only have about 17,000 Km on mine. Most in winter. There are many factors that can cause slow charging, and I have experienced it on some V3 chargers here in MB.
Is it cold in Bassano - Wind Chill of -15C so not that bad, but at AB highway speeds add another -10 or -15 C to that - so about -30 or even -40 Wind Chill for conditioning to tackle? I see your battery was at a fairly decent level starting. I have noticed that the higher the charge is, the slower the V3 charger starts off at. How long did you charge for? What was the final rate?
Did you try another pedestal?

At the first Supercharger I went to, I had parked the car at about 20% overnight in -30C. It was cold soaked by any measure. The car had warned me that charging would be slow if I didn’t immediately charge, but I ignored it because it was late. I drove to the other side of the parking lot and plugged it in and it took almost an hour (seriously) before it started to charge. But once it started to charge, it ramped up pretty fast. Within 20 mins or so, I was charging 500km/h or better. I didn’t understand the process enough then to know the details that would be useful here, but it was a learning experience. I was terrified that I had made a mistake in buying the car. What you (and others using brand new V3 chargers)are reporting is quite different.

So...
Don’t charge cold.
If you do, once it starts, it ramps up fairly quickly.

YMMV, that’s what I remember of it.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
At the first Supercharger I went to, I had parked the car at about 20% overnight in -30C. It was cold soaked by any measure. The car had warned me that charging would be slow if I didn’t immediately charge, but I ignored it because it was late.
So...
Don’t charge cold.
If you do, once it starts, it ramps up fairly quickly.

@DigAdrenaline - I was agreeing with you in case you thought different. I have been to enough Super Chargers by now to have a good working knowledge of them. I forgot to also mention to charge at night if traveling. As you said, it will be MUCH SLOWER in the morning. I got caught once when I had to drive an extra 45 miles when I took an exit to a Best Western hotel and it ended up being the on ramp to interstate with no exit for 22.5 miles. The hotel didn't have a lit entry. Should have stayed at a Motel6 as they leave the light on:) So, I needed a charge in the morning, as it was another 10 miles to the SuC from the hotel, and it was VERY slow. So far I have only charged 4 times at V3 chargers, and about 20-30 times at V2 Super Chargers. I believe that there isn't any big change in the battery requirements for a V3 charger, at least with my M3.

@DigAdrenaline - I was agreeing with you in case you thought different. I have been to enough Super Chargers by now to have a good working knowledge of them. I forgot to also mention to charge at night if traveling. As you said, it will be MUCH SLOWER in the morning. I got caught once when I had to drive an extra 45 miles when I took an exit to a Best Western hotel and it ended up being the on ramp to interstate with no exit for 22.5 miles. The hotel didn't have a lit entry. Should have stayed at a Motel6 as they leave the light on:) So, I needed a charge in the morning, as it was another 10 miles to the SuC from the hotel, and it was VERY slow. So far I have only charged 4 times at V3 chargers, and about 20-30 times at V2 Super Chargers. I believe that there isn't any big change in the battery requirements for a V3 charger, at least with my M3.

I knew you agreed, I was trying to explain why I don’t believe this is explained just by cold. Charging a battery warms it up pretty quickly.

This isn’t just us seeing it, either. There are other threads with “it’s slow” complaints about the V3 chargers in the US. The only one I have used so far was in Fremont, at the factory, and I never even hit 120kw with it. So, I’m not sure what’s up, but I very much doubt that the problem is with the cars (cold, battery types or size, something else). Most likely, Tesla or the electrical companies are still learning about them. I’m sure it’ll be sorted out soon enough.

We get the newest. We get the fastest. We also get to be where problems are worked out. :)

Our first charge on a V3 was in YWG at 123 Kw - 809 Km/hr, at least. That was when the battery was at 16% and we had just driven up from Grand Forks with a short coffee break & charge @ Timmie's in Morris. Was a pleasant surprise to see there was a level 2 charger in Morris.
Nothing wrong with working out the problems, someone has to do it.

Reactions: Paul8810