Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baton Rouge, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saturday, December 27 update. Work being done at the site despite the inclement weather. :smile:
December 23-27, 2014 010.JPG
December 23-27, 2014 009.JPG

Man... this just makes me want to get one even more now, but financial reason dictates that I be patient and be one of the first to jump on the Model III. Waiting just sucks so much though. >_<
I may have to drive over there on the 1st and see if they are still working on the installation.

Holy Smokes, looks like the Contractors are really flying.

Great recon work smil3193.

However, it appears like there is quite a way to go.
Still need a pad and a transformer.

Due to exposed rebar ends on the edges of the slab, it looks like this location will have CMU walls around the Supercharger cabinets.

Otherwise, rock on....

Anyone have an idea why that third distribution cabinet is empty?

My idea is that the breakers are in there and don't require more room than the top half of the cabinet.

edit: Had a second idea, that there might be some solar gear for this site that needs to be fitted in there and is not ready yet. Not nearly as likely as my first idea, though! I'm leaning toward "the three (?) circuit breakers are big but don't need the entire box"

Last edited:
My idea is that the breakers are in there and don't require more room than the top half of the cabinet.

edit: Had a second idea, that there might be some solar gear for this site that needs to be fitted in there and is not ready yet. Not nearly as likely as my first idea, though! I'm leaning toward "the three (?) circuit breakers are big but don't need the entire box"

The three bay Distribution Center is an off-the-shelf setup from Square-D/Schneider. Just a big, fancy, monitored, controllable circuit-breaker cabinet. Here is a picture of the 2000 Amp bus bars inside.

Blanding Bus.JPG

And here is a picture of the service input. Those wires are 500 mcm and each wire has the equivalent copper of a bar 0.7 inches in diameter. This is what is needed for a 4-bay site. Add more 500 mcm cables per phase for larger sites.

Farmington-NCM_1187.JPG

I now want to take some more shots at the Columbus SC, which is elevated - shows that connection from underneath:

From the installs that I have seen, it is a conduit per phase (and neutral) from the Utility Transformer and a conduit per Cabinet to the Supercharger Cabinets. At the Supercharger Cabinets, there is a single conduit for AC in from the Distribution Cabinets and 2 conduits out, one for each Charging pedestal.

Happy sleuthing!

Is Columbus elevated because the area is prone to flooding?

Here's how much. The whole hotel and pool, except for parking, is up at that height.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420305875.059606.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420305981.177248.jpg

Also of note is an extra set of conduit for one additional charger and two stalls. :)

Before long, Model Ss will routinely see the Columbus TX and BR LA Superchargers on the same day...

Last edited: