Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bay City, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to issue the alert. I will be traveling from Alpena, back to Bay City, and then on to Detroit a week from now. I have my fingers crossed. I felt bad for the guy who showed up at the park. He was somewhat elderly and was brand new to his Tesla, which he had shipped to Michigan from his Florida home. I helped him get the charge going as I was leaving, but he only had about 30 miles of range. So he certainly will have had a long time to wait.

my wife is charging there now, on her way up north. apparently it's open! not on maps yet… IMG_0051.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: tomsModelS
well, bad news. my wife just stopped by on her way home, 300+V, 0A. she called tesla, they couldn't help said 'it's not officially open yet'. off to the park for her.

not sure what we wait for, maybe a ribbon cutting? anyway, for now, caution should be your watchword if you're traveling and planning to use this SC.

my wife is charging there now, on her way up north. apparently it's open! not on maps yet…View attachment 200432

well, bad news. my wife just stopped by on her way home, 300+V, 0A. she called tesla, they couldn't help said 'it's not officially open yet'. off to the park for her.

not sure what we wait for, maybe a ribbon cutting? anyway, for now, caution should be your watchword if you're traveling and planning to use this SC.

I don't usually chime in on far away super chargers, but I figured I should since there seems to be a lot of confusion. This station is not officially open. Tesla has yet to put it on their map and makes no guarantees. Tesla did switch power on almost a month ago, but *speculation here* there was a problem with the equipment. It seems like it wasn't bad enough from them the turn it off, but they couldn't guarantee that it would function properly either. That was why it was taken off of supercharger.info a few weeks ago. .info is just a crowd-sorced site. While it is a good resource, it's not official.

There is no confusion on my part. This SC construction began in mid-August. It is now 2.5 months later and the station is inoperable. Given the number of SCs in operation, one would think that Tesla could complete a relatively simple operation in that period of time. Do they know what they are doing or not?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
There is no confusion on my part. This SC construction began in mid-August. It is now 2.5 months later and the station is inoperable. Given the number of SCs in operation, one would think that Tesla could complete a relatively simple operation in that period of time. Do they know what they are doing or not?

My guess is that it's a transformer issue and Tesla has no authority over it.

There were workers at the site last week that told a Tesla driver that the SC would be operational by 11 am last Friday. See above on this page. Didn't happen. SCs are a promised part of the Tesla experience. Beyond the Bay City supercharger, Lansing was supposed to get an SC this season. Didn't happen there either. Actions promised and actions repeatedly failed.

Last edited:
I tried charging at the Bay City SC Wednesday night. I knew that I was going there at my own risk, as I ended up being stranded in the area. Luckily a friend who lives (relatively) in the area was able to pick me up from the Mitsubishi dealership where I ended up charging. Guess it just goes to show that you are entering at your own risk until Tesla confirms the SC is online.

Best regards and happy motoring,
Daniel

Here is an interesting take by PlugShare, regarding the Bay City SC:

"8 stall Tesla Supercharger station at the east end of the Meijer parking lot. Lots of dining and shopping plus a hotel within walking distance. *** Note *** As of Nov 4, 2016, this Supercharger location is still not officially online. Users of The Tesla Motors Club forums have reported arriving and finding the stalls without power as recently as this week. You may need the nearby state park's J1772 as your backup plan."

Well, I'm heading down state next Thursday. I've decided to give myself a couple of extra hours, just in case I have to stop at the state park. The good news is, I'm staying at the Townsend in Birmingham. They have 2 Tesla chargers in their valet parking garage. I'll post my results.