Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bay City, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Starting with Tesla Supercharger network, @Joel has information on the future Bay City, MI Supercharger that's a blue dot on Supercharge.info.

Joel said:
Under "Following are additional sites not on the Coming Soon list:" please add Bay City, Michigan to "in planning/permitting." I spoke with the Monitor,Township (Bay City) Permitting office in late March and the planning/permitting process is in motion.

emupilot said:
Excellent! Do you know the specific location?

Joel said:
E, 2980 Wilder Rd, Bay City, MI 48706

Chuq said:
For anyone like me (non-American) and trying to find details of the permit, I was stumped for a while, before finding it is just outside the Bay City in the Monitor Township (Charter Township of Monitor - Bay County, MI - Chartered March 12, 1979 - Welcome to the Official Website) I was scarred by all the Comic Sans but someone with better understanding of the US-specific terms may have more luck!

Joel said:
It's a small township. As you discovered, you'll need to call because their website is limited :)

emupilot said:
Looks like yet another supercharger at a Meijer store. This has been added to supercharge.info based on the information you provided.

Joel said:
According to the permit office, Tesla has yet to officially pull the permit. The individual at the permit office said Tesla is working on their site proposal and Monitor Township will grant it once Tesla submits it:

Feel free to add the dot to supercharge.info, but I will post when Monitor Township officially issues the permit. I call every 30 days, and I'm due to call soon. I'll keep you updated.

From mapping on supercharge.info:

Interstate: I-75
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-10, US-23

I-75:
To: End (Saute St Marie, MI) - 232 miles
Diversion: 1 mile

US-23

I go from Farmington Hills to Indian River (250 miles) very frequently and pass the site on the way to the Bay City State Park to charge.

Last week there was a second surveyor's stake in place, as well as multiple utility flags showing locations of buried lines. I will be going there again this weekend and will take pictures. It appears the charging stalls will possibly be along the northeast part of Meijer's 2 Mile Rd parking lot at Wilder Rd. The location is only about a half-mile from the I-75/M13 exit.

I will keep you updated.

• Informative
Reactions: Joel
I go from Farmington Hills to Indian River (250 miles) very frequently and pass the site on the way to the Bay City State Park to charge.

Last week there was a second surveyor's stake in place, as well as multiple utility flags showing locations of buried lines. I will be going there again this weekend and will take pictures. It appears the charging stalls will possibly be along the northeast part of Meijer's 2 Mile Rd parking lot at Wilder Rd. The location is only about a half-mile from the I-75/M13 exit.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the update.

Anticipate Bay City, Port Huron, and Lansing sometime in Q3 this year.

I'm still going to need a Gaylord (or other far northern lower peninsula location) Supercharger before I can make the trip up north. Looks like it won't be this summer, but hopefully by next year they'll get around to it.

I posted this in the Michigan group thread about this topic, but thought I should share it here as well since it could be useful.

For what it's worth, I looked up the length of time each of the other Michigan supercharger sites were in "permitting" status and "construction" status to give us a very rough idea of what timing to expect for this project. The statistics on supercharge.info don't go back far enough for St. Joseph, so I'm looking at the other three and ignoring the Cadillac temporary closure and reopening:

Grand Rapids Permit status: 23 days Constr. status: 35 days
Ann Arbor Permit status: 42 days Constr. status: 79 days
Cadillac Permit status: 27 days Constr. status: 52 days

So in Michigan the average permitting time is 31 days and average construction time is 55 days. Going by averages, Bay City could be expected to start construction on June 3 and open on July 28. Then again, the past is not always indicative of the future. Last year supercharger sites were opening every few days. In the USA so far this year only 11 have opened and in the entire month of April, ZERO opened.​

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
You can't go by averages when it comes to the government. The next Planning Commission meeting is on June 7, and Tesla would need to submit all the properly executed applications by May 17. The woman I spoke to implied the application would be granted when Tesla submits it, but that doesn't sound like any commission I've dealt with in the past.

@timf ... What is your trip (origin and destination?)

Last edited:
@timf ... What is your trip (origin and destination?)
I need to get to the Bois Blanc Island ferry in Cheboygan. I have no intent of taking my Tesla to the island and there's nothing in the way of destination chargers in the area, so I need to be able to have enough charge to make a round trip from the nearest Supercharger and account for 3-4 days of vampire drain.

I need to get to the Bois Blanc Island ferry in Cheboygan. I have no intent of taking my Tesla to the island and there's nothing in the way of destination chargers in the area, so I need to be able to have enough charge to make a round trip from the nearest Supercharger and account for 3-4 days of vampire drain.

For three or four days, why don't you just plug into a 110 outlet?

For three or four days, why don't you just plug into a 110 outlet?
That's an obvious solution but requires both an accessible outlet in a public parking lot (which I'm not sure is possible) and the guarantee no one will mess with the charger when left unattended for an extended period. Bay City probably won't be up in time for me to even attempt it this summer, so it will give me a chance to better investigate my options for next year.

I stopped by the Meijers site this afternoon and found a third surveyor's stake. It appears that an area running parallel to 2 Mile Rd is being surveyed in a large grassy area that would be ideal for a SC.

The first photo is looking south, with the surveyor's stake and one of a series of utility flags to the left of it. The second photo is looking north toward Wlider Rd, and the third shows the writing on the utility flags.

This is pure speculation, of course, but the site location and size would be ideal for a SC.

I'll be back that way in about 10 days and will keep you posted.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    877.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: jvonbokel
I stopped by Meijers today to see if there was anything new to report. All of the surveyor's stakes were removed and the utility flags are gone. There's no sign of any other part of the parking lot being worked on either, so perhaps Tesla got the location info they needed for the permits and now we just wait for it to be submitted and approved.

This is all speculation.

[QUOTE="Joel, post: 1513438, member: 7880]

Anticipate Bay City, Port Huron, and Lansing sometime in Q3 this year.[/QUOTE]

In the Eastern Canada Supercharger thread , someone said they heard Port Huron was under construction. The Meijers in that area aren't particularly close to I-94, so I wouldn't know a logical place to check

[QUOTE="Joel, post: 1513438, member: 7880]

Anticipate Bay City, Port Huron, and Lansing sometime in Q3 this year.

In the Eastern Canada Supercharger thread , someone said they heard Port Huron was under construction. The Meijers in that area aren't particularly close to I-94, so I wouldn't know a logical place to check

Correct: the Port Huron location is not at a Meijer. It appears to be moving earlier than Q3, but I do not believe construction has started.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
UPDATE: All of the Tesla application paperwork, as well as a letter of recommendation from Meijers, was received by the county Planning Commission on time two weeks ago, and it all could have been approved ... BUT, the county noticed that Tesla is adding 8 parking spaces (see my photos of the grassy areas above), and that requires formal board review. The next available board meeting is July 5 and will be considered at that time.

Reactions: Joel and emupilot