Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had heard Tesla wasn't paying the owner until the site went down the other day and someone said it was between the son and dad. I wasn't aware of that until like 2 days ago. It was news to me! Apparently old news! haha
That's what happened in 2019. If the same thing happened again, Tesla needs to get out of Beaver or someone needs to take away dad's keys because he shouldn't be driving anymore.

I talked to a gas station employee a weekish ago, he confirmed that they overloaded the local grid with all 32 stalls running, half the town went black apparently. They have 24 stalls now and I think the local electrical company is working on the grid so that doesn't happen again.
That sounds a bit odd - definitely poor engineering on the grid operator side. The superchargers would be connected back to the grid through a transformer which would be the responsibility of the grid operator. The transformer and grid would have been engineered by the grid company to perform to the required capacity/standards.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
That sounds a bit odd - definitely poor engineering on the grid operator side. The superchargers would be connected back to the grid through a transformer which would be the responsibility of the grid operator. The transformer and grid would have been engineered by the grid company to perform to the required capacity/standards.
Almost certainly, it's not about capacity. Very likely it's an issue with harmonics and power oscillations. Planning for and dealing with this is the real engineering part of electrical engineering at the distribution and grid scale. And it's something that will often need some finer tuning or adjustment that is only apparent after everything is connected and running for the first time.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Fully pinned, all 32 superchargers could pull 2.4MW; that's a pretty significant load for a small town. I'd hazard a guess they blew a fuse or tripped an auto recloser on one or more of the phases and being that the substation is on the complete opposite side of town, probably took out a lot of other customers.

The utility company probably knew it could be a problem, but may have just been caught off guard by how quickly it became a problem.

Reactions: Big Earl
The utility company probably knew it could be a problem, but may have just been caught off guard by how quickly it became a problem.
I can imagine them... 'EV chargers that actually get fully utilized? I don't think they exist.'

200.gif

Fully pinned, all 32 superchargers could pull 2.4MW; that's a pretty significant load for a small town. I'd hazard a guess they blew a fuse or tripped an auto recloser on one or more of the phases and being that the substation is on the complete opposite side of town, probably took out a lot of other customers.

2.4MW isn't that much, even for a small town. I used to think so also until I realized industrial equipment uses way more power then you'd expect. 100kW here, 75kW there, pretty soon it adds up to some real numbers.

2.4MW isn't that much, even for a small town. I used to think so also until I realized industrial equipment uses way more power then you'd expect. 100kW here, 75kW there, pretty soon it adds up to some real numbers.
Poking around on streetview, there doesn't seem to be much more than light commercial in Beaver, so with some back of the napkin math, typical load is probably somewhere around 4-6MW.

Reactions: DavidB and Big Earl
Sorry, I posted this on the local Facebook group and forgot to post it here.

The Chevron owner saw such growth in the superchargers, he decided to lease more of his land to Tesla. So they are adding another 24 chargers. My hope is that Electrify America, EVGO, or ChargePoint also come in and install a station there.
Wow- that is cool- I guess that means they solved the power problems when all the station are in use?

Sorry, I posted this on the local Facebook group and forgot to post it here.

The Chevron owner saw such growth in the superchargers, he decided to lease more of his land to Tesla. So they are adding another 24 chargers. My hope is that Electrify America, EVGO, or ChargePoint also come in and install a station there.
just curious, did you meet with the chevron owner? how do you know that?

Reactions: CO_MY