Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just popped by. Right off the interstate so easy to access. Looked done and good to go but tried to plug in and no juice! I'm at the KOA in cedar city trying to get a few more miles. Pulled right up, plugged in and flipped the breaker. Getting like 40a/234v 28mi/hr charge.

Had 175 miles to go but 150 range and 160ish projected. Was soooo close yet so far!! Was tempted to go for it. Seeing those 80mph signs is like torture though, while you're doing 65-70 drafting a semi. Haha I'll get there eventually. Quite an adventure for sure

Being from Boulder, I assume you're headed south? I'm planning a trip up US 15 north from Vegas around 22-April and unfortunately looking for an alternative to fill the missing Supercharger gap to Richfield. Beaver coming on-line would help immensely, but if not I'll have to charge, probably in St. George (like TempleView RV Park or, failing that, the Nissan dealership). Trying to make it to Cedar City from Vegas seems to be a bridge too far... Or maybe not if I make a "moving roadblock" out of my Model S... :frown:

Any experience with this route, particularly northbound, will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
As of tonight, looks like it was repaved.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 348
Hey hey! So i actually went for it and hit Richfield>Cedar city>Vegas instead of going south thru Moab. I made sure i had a full 271 mile charge leaving Richfield. Drove fairly conservatively, tired to draft semis, make the most of every opportunity to regain juice going down hills. Luckily you're decreasing in elevation almost the whole time so you maintain a good bit of power. I stopped at Cedar City KOA for almost 2hrs at like 12am just to get like 40-50 miles of charge back and rolled into vegas at like 4 w/ 9 miles left of rated range. Its so painful driving 60mph in an 80 (wish more highways were like this!) but wouldn't have made it if i wasn't going slow. One of my only complaints is they promote this 270 miles of range on the battery but never really tell you thats really if you use it locally and drive conservatively. Every 10mph-20mph over that you go crushes the battery. The car just isn't meant for barging across the country yet but its ok bc i did the whole trip for free and enjoyed every second of it even though it took me over 15hrs! haha I was shocked i had to stop so much honestly. i thought i'd be able to skip a super charger and be able to do glenwood>green river but i had to stop in grand junction b/c i didn't have enough charge to make it. Hopefully its something they can work on b/c its not realistic to travel the country 10mph under a 75mph speed limit. Either way its still an incredibly fun and beautiful drive just give yourself a solid 15hrs. The stop at the KOA really made it take forever though. Beaver Run should be open any day now so by 4/22 you should be good to go and you'll make it easily! Cheers!

Hey hey! So i actually went for it and hit Richfield>Cedar city>Vegas instead of going south thru Moab. I made sure i had a full 271 mile charge leaving Richfield. Drove fairly conservatively, tired to draft semis, make the most of every opportunity to regain juice going down hills. Luckily you're decreasing in elevation almost the whole time so you maintain a good bit of power. I stopped at Cedar City KOA for almost 2hrs at like 12am just to get like 40-50 miles of charge back and rolled into vegas at like 4 w/ 9 miles left of rated range. Its so painful driving 60mph in an 80 (wish more highways were like this!) but wouldn't have made it if i wasn't going slow. One of my only complaints is they promote this 270 miles of range on the battery but never really tell you thats really if you use it locally and drive conservatively. Every 10mph-20mph over that you go crushes the battery. The car just isn't meant for barging across the country yet but its ok bc i did the whole trip for free and enjoyed every second of it even though it took me over 15hrs! haha I was shocked i had to stop so much honestly. i thought i'd be able to skip a super charger and be able to do glenwood>green river but i had to stop in grand junction b/c i didn't have enough charge to make it. Hopefully its something they can work on b/c its not realistic to travel the country 10mph under a 75mph speed limit. Either way its still an incredibly fun and beautiful drive just give yourself a solid 15hrs. The stop at the KOA really made it take forever though. Beaver Run should be open any day now so by 4/22 you should be good to go and you'll make it easily! Cheers!

Glad all went well for you!

I agree that hypermiling to make it between Superchargers that are too far apart can be very frustrating, but you figured that out. The amazing thing is that had you driven 50 instead of 60, you may not have needed the 14-50 top-off and would have made it to Vegas sooner.

For well spaced Superchargers like Silverthorne, Glenwood, Grand Junction, Green River, Richfield, I have found the fastest way to drive them is to drive as fast as you are comfortable; for me, this is some few miles over the speed limit. The next optimization is to only charge at each Supercharger until you have enough to get to the next Supercharger with some margin, then head on. Only charging to 60-75% really helps charge rate! Doing this and stopping at every Supercharger keeps you in the very fast charge rate at each Supercharger. Because this charge rate is so fast, you can drive as fast as you want and each step up in driving speed will get you there sooner My favorite method to estimate enough plus margin is to use EV Trip Planner. I either set my speed to 1.0 and then add 25% to the rated miles estimated, or set the speed to 1.15 and and just use that estimate. Either way, this is for driving a few over the speed limit. This gives you a nice margin if you put in the other details correctly, just be wary of big headwinds.

Enjoy your EV freedom! :biggrin:

Beaver Utah is now online!

Most likely on-line, and certainly online in the very near future. However, there was at least one case last winter where some folks on a cold night in Indiana found out that the Supercharger web page being live preceded the Supercharger being live by a day or so.

Either way, great news!

Beaver, UT is at 5,900 feet elevation, and Las Vegas is at 2,000 feet. This is a delta of about 24 rated miles in potential energy, meaning 250 rated miles in the battery is worth 276 total rated miles Beaver to Las Vegas, and 226 total rated miles Las Vegas to Beaver. Use a little care from Beaver to Vegas, and a lot of care (with a possible RV outlet top up) from Vegas to Beaver. Of course, use EV Trip Planner for detailed calculations.

St George needs to happen soon to make this route a no-brainer...

Most likely on-line, and certainly online in the very near future. However, there was at least one case last winter where some folks on a cold night in Indiana found out that the Supercharger web page being live preceded the Supercharger being live by a day or so.

Either way, great news!

Beaver, UT is at 5,900 feet elevation, and Las Vegas is at 2,000 feet. This is a delta of about 24 rated miles in potential energy, meaning 250 rated miles in the battery is worth 276 total rated miles Beaver to Las Vegas, and 226 total rated miles Las Vegas to Beaver. Use a little care from Beaver to Vegas, and a lot of care (with a possible RV outlet top up) from Vegas to Beaver. Of course, use EV Trip Planner for detailed calculations.

If anyone makes the trip from Las Vegas to Beaver, please let us know about how you made it (or didn't make it). Or from Beaver north towards Park City. I would like to make this trip soon in my 85, and the intermediate Superchargers may not yet be open. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Either way, great news!

If anyone makes the trip from Las Vegas to Beaver, please let us know about how you made it (or didn't make it). Or from Beaver north towards Park City. I would like to make this trip soon in my 85, and the intermediate Superchargers may not yet be open. Thanks

I just drove from a Beaver to Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. I drove 83mph in all 75-80 zones and 75mph in the 65mph zones. I had a 10mph tailwind for the first bit of the journey, then a 10mph headwind with 30mph gusts the second half. I did a full range charge and allowed my pack to balance before leaving. At 75 the whole way or no wind I imagine Park City would be no issue. Here was my usage.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add the range charge put me at 254 miles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 252
I just drove from a Beaver to Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. I drove 83mph in all 75-80 zones and 75mph in the 65mph zones. I had a 10mph tailwind for the first bit of the journey, then a 10mph headwind with 30mph gusts the second half. I did a full range charge and allowed my pack to balance before leaving. At 75 the whole way or no wind I imagine Park City would be no issue. Here was my usage.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add the range charge put me at 254 miles.

Thanks for the details Denarius. Park City is 200 miles from Beaver vs. 175 for Lehi. That's another 25 miles and you had 24 Rated Miles left after a full Range Charge. I could get more by slowing down but that's too close for comfort for me. Also along Route 189 there are some elevation changes -- not sure how they compare with the route to Lehi.

Thanks for the details Denarius. Park City is 200 miles from Beaver vs. 175 for Lehi. That's another 25 miles and you had 24 Rated Miles left after a full Range Charge. I could get more by slowing down but that's too close for comfort for me. Also along Route 189 there are some elevation changes -- not sure how they compare with the route to Lehi.

I was driving into 30mph wind gusts at 83 miles per hour. Without the wind or slowing down to "just" 75 should get you home with a comfortable buffer. That's the beautiful thing, if your range is dropping too fast, slow down 5 mph and if it's still dropping too fast, slow down again. Http://www.evtripper.com will also give you an accurate idea of what is required to make the trip.