Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More reasons why St George is needed to make this an easy, comfortable trip in almost all conditions.

Without St George done yet and a modest 12-car flotilla of Model S's making their way to California for TMC connect, queues developed at Beaver on Wednesday. Without St George, everyone was taking 1 to 1.5 hours to get a full, 100% charge for the drive to Las Vegas. If St George were in operation, the charge times would have been 20-30 minutes. If St George has been operational and charge times in Beaver were cut by a factor of 3, even the migration to Monterey probably would not have caused the Beaver Queue yesterday.

That's my sig red waiting off to the side for a charge.

DJI00030 crop small.jpeg

I used Beaver twice this weekend. Pedestals 2A and 2B (not adjacent to each other; is this common with "older" Superchargers?) were out of order. I had to share the circuit on 1 in both directions. Seems like a location they need to expand (well, and fix) before Model 3s are out in force!

Reactions: Stirfelt
I used Beaver twice this weekend. Pedestals 2A and 2B (not adjacent to each other; is this common with "older" Superchargers?) were out of order. I had to share the circuit on 1 in both directions. Seems like a location they need to expand (well, and fix) before Model 3s are out in force!
I trust that you called the number posted on the stanchion to report the problem.

The same thing happened at Green River UT last summer. It took awhile but they did fix it.

The space at Beaver UT is leased from the adjacent carwash; I spoke with the owner last June. I expect that he would be amenable to expanding the site.

Last edited:
I trust that you called the number posted on the stanchion to report the problem.

The same thing happened at Green River UT last summer. It took awhile but they did fix it.

The space at Beaver UT is leased from the adjacent carwash; I spoke with the owner last June. I expect that he would be amenable to expanding the site.
I didn't look for a number, but I called Tesla roadside assistance and reported it. And in-car nav seemed to be treating those two stalls as in use.

Is it still normal for Beaver SC to provide lower peak charging rates?

I charged here two weeks ago and noticed significantly slower charge than normal.
I got only 25KW and 40KW out of 1A and 2A.
1B gave me ~80KW peak when car's state-of-charge (and other factors such as battery temp) should have allowed peak charging rates.

Is it still normal for Beaver SC to provide lower peak charging rates?

I charged here two weeks ago and noticed significantly slower charge than normal.
I got only 25KW and 40KW out of 1A and 2A.
1B gave me ~80KW peak when car's state-of-charge (and other factors such as battery temp) should have allowed peak charging rates.
I was there a couple months ago (when one circuit was down), and even sharing a circuit with another car I was getting 60-70kW.

Just wondering, but... has there been any further construction at this site lately? Anyone close enough to be able to check?
I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't a Tesla owner (or at least not a TMC member) within a hundred miles of Beaver. And it isn't exactly the high time of year for people to be road tripping through Southern Utah. You could try calling the gas station and asking them what it looks like :)

Very slow charge here a couple days ago. There were other cars plugged in so I couldn’t try them all but other people were also reporting slow charge. I saw 50kW and 20kW from two paired stalls and was told one of the other stalls didn’t work at all. This is fairly problematic considering this is only a 4 stall location.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David99 and KJD
That’s going to be one of the chokepoints for next month’s (5th annual) Sound of Silence rally in Custer, SD now that the (western) Wyoming route has opened up as an alternative to 11,300’ of merriment through Vail and then Cheyenne and Lusk. The latter two being the bottlenecks for that route.

4 are barely adequate when there are 4. 4 are not adequate when 2 are slow and 1 is broken.

As we saw from Quartzsite two weekends ago and from anywhere along the Utah/Idaho line during the eclipse timeframe last year, bad chargers tend to exacerbate/cascade problems - and without Nav/early warning features with which drivers could possibly make other arrangements, it just gets worse until it gets better.

Not optimal.

Reactions: David99
That’s going to be one of the chokepoints for next month’s (5th annual) Sound of Silence rally in Custer, SD now that the (western) Wyoming route has opened up as an alternative to 11,300’ of merriment through Vail and then Cheyenne and Lusk. The latter two being the bottlenecks for that route.

4 are barely adequate when there are 4. 4 are not adequate when 2 are slow and 1 is broken.

As we saw from Quartzsite two weekends ago and from anywhere along the Utah/Idaho line during the eclipse timeframe last year, bad chargers tend to exacerbate/cascade problems - and without Nav/early warning features with which drivers could possibly make other arrangements, it just gets worse until it gets better.

Not optimal.
The Beaver supercharger is labeled as “Reduced Service” in the Nav so that helps. Obviously anyone who can should try to skip this one if possible, especially for something like the Custer rally.

What happened in Quartzsite a couple weeks ago?

I drove from Denver to Las Vegas and back last month, and this station was very slow both times, no more than 50kW. Only one other car both times. I made sure we weren't sharing and even moved my car to try the other stalls. I called roadshid assistance and notified them about my issues. Very disappointed that nothing has been done.