Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the supercharger location was moved to Venn at Main apartment building just SE of Downtown Park. 8 stalls and 4 cabinets so most likely urban rather than V2 (since V3 is 1 cabinet per 4 stalls)
Permit Details - MyBuildingPermit

8 urban chargers? That seems low capacity for a 2020 build. I would expect a mix of 8 V3 and 8 to 12 urban or 10 V2 and like 12 urban. I suspect this location will be packed all the time... unless there is high garage parking fees (like downtown Seattle)

8 urban chargers? That seems low capacity for a 2020 build. I would expect a mix of 8 V3 and 8 to 12 urban or 10 V2 and like 12 urban. I suspect this location will be packed all the time... unless there is high garage parking fees (like downtown Seattle)

probably all they could get considering this is a residential garage. Also on another permit, it notes a loss of 2 motorcycle spots, so seems like it’s getting crammed in somewhere not to lose any regular parking spaces. But yes, I agree, it’ll be a very busy location unless there will be parking charges (not to jinx it :))

probably all they could get considering this is a residential garage. Also on another permit, it notes a loss of 2 motorcycle spots, so seems like it’s getting crammed in somewhere not to lose any regular parking spaces. But yes, I agree, it’ll be a very busy location unless there will be parking charges (not to jinx it :))
Not sure what you mean by jinxing it. Would you rather pay 5 bucks to park and charge or sit and wait for a half hour and argue with other Tesla owners about who is next in line?

When have they ever done a mix of v2 and v3 stalls?

Sorry, I meant a mix of V2 or V3 and destination chargers. More destination chargers if it's a V2 install. I really think this is the best balance for locations where the car might be parked for while (1 to 3 hours, movie, retail shops/mall, near sit down restaurants, etc).

For most people V2 is too fast for an actual sit down dinner (even at somewhere fast like Olive Garden or something). A lot of people get away with it because 80 to 100% takes so long, but then you're tying up a supercharger at like 6 to 12kW when a destination can almost get that same speed and a lot of people only need to charge to like 80%. 30 to 40 minutes is just not enough time to walk somewhere, get seated, eat, and pay a bill and walk back.

If you're shopping for a couple hours and dinner than you'll gain back like ~20kWh or more on a destination charger. If you're seeing a movie it's probably at least 16kWh. You have the freedom to combine that with a supercharge session. Connect for 10 minutes and maybe gain 15 to 25kWh and then go see your movie after moving to a destination. It took 10 extra minutes of your time with your car and you gained like 30kWh. If you've got a long range model 3 and they're V3 that 10 minutes might get you like 25kWh right there and the destination might get you another 25kWh during a 2.5 hour movie.

You need the V2/V3 for long distance travel, but ideally those are near the highway, near restrooms and quick food (coffee or something). If you're in a garage somewhere downtown or a little off the main highways than have a couple V2/V3 for the quick dash in and out but always include destination for people that are down there for a couple hours for an appointment, dinner, movie, shopping, etc.

The perfect itinerary would be to park, plug in, walk across the street to Belle Bakery, order something yummy (they have breakfast sandwiches and quiches too), eat, and go back to the car right as it finishes charging. The optimal amount of time to charge up at the supercharger.

Reactions: jsanford
When have they ever done a mix of v2 and v3 stalls?
They've done it at a few locations where they've expanded an existing V2 station with some new V3 stalls. And at Fremont, Hawthorne, and Kettleman City where they've replaced some of the existing V2 with V3 stalls. But, I agree, they aren't going to build a new station with a mix of the two types.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Sorry, I meant a mix of V2 or V3 and destination chargers. More destination chargers if it's a V2 install. I really think this is the best balance for locations where the car might be parked for while (1 to 3 hours, movie, retail shops/mall, near sit down restaurants, etc).

For most people V2 is too fast for an actual sit down dinner (even at somewhere fast like Olive Garden or something). A lot of people get away with it because 80 to 100% takes so long, but then you're tying up a supercharger at like 6 to 12kW when a destination can almost get that same speed and a lot of people only need to charge to like 80%. 30 to 40 minutes is just not enough time to walk somewhere, get seated, eat, and pay a bill and walk back.

If you're shopping for a couple hours and dinner than you'll gain back like ~20kWh or more on a destination charger. If you're seeing a movie it's probably at least 16kWh. You have the freedom to combine that with a supercharge session. Connect for 10 minutes and maybe gain 15 to 25kWh and then go see your movie after moving to a destination. It took 10 extra minutes of your time with your car and you gained like 30kWh. If you've got a long range model 3 and they're V3 that 10 minutes might get you like 25kWh right there and the destination might get you another 25kWh during a 2.5 hour movie.

You need the V2/V3 for long distance travel, but ideally those are near the highway, near restrooms and quick food (coffee or something). If you're in a garage somewhere downtown or a little off the main highways than have a couple V2/V3 for the quick dash in and out but always include destination for people that are down there for a couple hours for an appointment, dinner, movie, shopping, etc.
I don't think very many people are driving to a supercharger to get 15-20kWh. And certainly not many want to supercharge for 10 minutes and then move their car to another charger. You outline some reasons why malls and movie theaters might want to add more L2 charging, but I don't see any reason this needs to be co-located with a supercharger.

I don't think very many people are driving to a supercharger to get 15-20kWh. And certainly not many want to supercharge for 10 minutes and then move their car to another charger. You outline some reasons why malls and movie theaters might want to add more L2 charging, but I don't see any reason this needs to be co-located with a supercharger.

Well I would argue than that Tesla shouldn’t locate superchargers in those areas and instead should spend their money in a large bank of destination (20+) chargers for the future... I suspect people would hate the suggestion of less superchargers though.

I just know I’ve already tied up a supercharger more than once when I didn’t need to. I might have only needed 70%, but because I was hungry I decided to go get something to eat knowing that 70-100% takes a huge amount of time (when comparing like 40-70%). I’m not charged an idle fee until it’s at 100%

I see very little reason to keep plugged into a supercharger when you’re down to 10-20kW... yet 25 minutes or so just isn’t long enough.

[Yes sometimes you need 100% to get somewhere, but I think the large majority or leaving between 70% and 80%]

Are they really planning to put Bellevue superchargers inside an apartment building that is on the south side of bellevue park? That's a terrible location. There are lots of office buildings along the bellevue way and ne 8th area. Putting these chargers around Blv Sq means people could shop, eat, or put their car there for part of a working day and walk back. If they put it way down south then far fewer people will use it. Putting it likely in a limited access or pay parking garage will lead to even less usage. There's just far less useful people than there would be at blv sq. I am really disappointed. This location is surprisingly away from the max concentration of potential users.

I was looking for reasonable charging around that area just last week and I found lots of about ~15 miles of range added per hour charging for $2/hour, so that's like buying gas for $4/gal. Plus you can't charge fast. I hate to be too grumpy (but i am ;-)) but this is a significant mistake. The only reason I can imagine they don't want Bl Sq is it would be too popular.

Reactions: Salvo and wenkan
Are they really planning to put Bellevue superchargers inside an apartment building that is on the south side of bellevue park? That's a terrible location. There are lots of office buildings along the bellevue way and ne 8th area. Putting these chargers around Blv Sq means people could shop, eat, or put their car there for part of a working day and walk back. If they put it way down south then far fewer people will use it. Putting it likely in a limited access or pay parking garage will lead to even less usage. There's just far less useful people than there would be at blv sq. I am really disappointed. This location is surprisingly away from the max concentration of potential users.

I was looking for reasonable charging around that area just last week and I found lots of about ~15 miles of range added per hour charging for $2/hour, so that's like buying gas for $4/gal. Plus you can't charge fast. I hate to be too grumpy (but i am ;-)) but this is a significant mistake. The only reason I can imagine they don't want Bl Sq is it would be too popular.
Idle fees will prevent people from staying longer than they need

Just for information about that area, if there was a place in downtown Bellevue that wasn't near the mall where I would want to park for a while, it would be this place. Historic Bellevue (along Main St right by the proposed garage) is a gorgeous place to stroll through, plenty of small shops, quick bites and more formal sit-down restaurants. The park is also there if you'd rather do something more active while waiting for the car to charge.