Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bend, OR - SW. Industrial Way (LIVE Jun 2023, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 9.53.26 PM.png

Tesla's Find Us website has recently been updated and shows a previously unknown upcoming Supercharger location in Bend, in addition to the already active one. Any leads on this location? I visit Bend a fair amount and would love more options!

Reactions: IdaX
Are we really posting everything on the find us map? Sometimes those sit on there for three or four years, or forever...

To me the find us map is useless. At most it shows Tesla has decided that a radius of maybe 50 or more miles from that location could use a supercharger, but if it will actually be built is totally a gamble.
If it shows a timeline in the next quarter or two there is usually a permit issued by that point. Anything beyond that is a crap shoot.

Reactions: Ml007
Are we really posting everything on the find us map? Sometimes those sit on there for three or four years, or forever...

To me the find us map is useless. At most it shows Tesla has decided that a radius of maybe 50 or more miles from that location could use a supercharger, but if it will actually be built is totally a gamble.

I disagree that the Find Us map is useless. Updates indicate Tesla's current thinking, which is a valuable piece of information. Even if it takes 6+ years, as in the case of Madras opening, a thread to check and see (and for me, to queue my memory to see which One Call and Accela sites to search) is helpful. If no new information comes in, the thread will drop off the radar, which is totally fine.

Reactions: Tectonic
If it shows a timeline in the next quarter or two there is usually a permit issued by that point. Anything beyond that is a crap shoot.
Just thought that I would throw out some specific results for sites in BC that I've tracked. In August 2021 there were 23 coming soon sites, 21 of those with specific quarters specified. Of the 23, 15 are open and 3 are under construction. Two have been dropped entirely (those only specified 2022 but no quarter identified). The remaining three have no reported action on the ground.

It seems to me that the "Coming Soon" sites are a much better indicator today than they were in earlier years.

Just thought that I would throw out some specific results for sites in BC that I've tracked. In August 2021 there were 23 coming soon sites, 21 of those with specific quarters specified. Of the 23, 15 are open and 3 are under construction. Two have been dropped entirely (those only specified 2022 but no quarter identified). The remaining three have no reported action on the ground.

It seems to me that the "Coming Soon" sites are a much better indicator today than they were in earlier years.
Be careful, presenting actual facts to back up your thoughts can make some of the natives restless 😂 And thank you for tracking these things. I would say the percentage is 18 of 21 since the 3 without quarters are more of a “we’ve begun talks to put one here” instead of “we’ve got an agreement in place and have likely submitted an application for this site” for the ones with quarters.

Be careful, presenting actual facts to back up your thoughts can make some of the natives restless 😂 And thank you for tracking these things. I would say the percentage is 18 of 21 since the 3 without quarters are more of a “we’ve begun talks to put one here” instead of “we’ve got an agreement in place and have likely submitted an application for this site” for the ones with quarters.
Super interesting data about BC! I have very closely monitored Oregon supercharger developments since 2020, but not that closely. That said, I do not recall a time in the past two years where Tesla marked a "Coming Soon" with a quarter and the station didn't eventually work out in Oregon. Maybe Portland's Fox Tower? Boardman was once on the map, disappeared, then came back and is now open. Basically, while I know it isn't a sure thing if it's on the map, I for sure think it merits a discussion and investigation if there is a quarter attached to the pin.

View attachment 837812

Tesla's Find Us website has recently been updated and shows a previously unknown upcoming Supercharger location in Bend, in addition to the already active one. Any leads on this location? I visit Bend a fair amount and would love more options!
This is interesting for a few reasons:
1. This has a 1Q23 projected date like Sutherlin
2. Neither Sutherlin nor a second Bend site are really needed for Tesla charging capacity or coverage
3. Sutherlin is a mega site with ~57 stalls. Nearly 3 times any other site in Oregon or Washington, and only matched by some important California locations.
4. Tesla has announced they will open their network to non-Teslas around year end. Biden even mentioned it.
5. We’ve seen some info on the next generation V4 chargers which can come with a CCS adapter for non-Teslas to be able to use.

I wonder if both Sutherlin and this Bend #2 site are intended to be for the V4 equipment and are the start of a network build out for those other EVs to share. I guess if we see a site plan for Bend #2 with more than 20 stalls, we’ll see that Tesla is probably doing that.

anyone else think that too?

Reactions: izzelsizzel
View attachment 837812

Permit application currently in Plan Check for building and electrical. Submitted 5/20/22.

Location is the Springhill Suites by Marriott.

1660091723679.png

Even if it takes 6+ years, as in the case of Madras opening, a thread to check and see

Its a lot better than when I posted that. Back then, the "Find Us / Coming soon" map was not interactive and was just a smaller map with dots without any target indication or location name. So we had to look at the map and "guess" which city or location the SC was going to be built at.

Permit application currently in Plan Check for building and electrical. Submitted 5/20/22.

Location is the Springhill Suites by Marriott.

This is a really bad location for expansion. First, its within 2 miles of the existing one. Super high traffic area (due to old mill and downtown). And lastly, this location is going to lure a lot of locals to occupy stalls (which is fine when there is normal capacity, but currently the existing 8 as FM is already showing its age).

A much better location would have been to put this station on the north side, such as Target. Even at the Service Center would have been better. Ideal for load balancing travelers, convenient for accessing, lots of open spaces, etc.

Good find! But are you sure this isn't 8 HPWCs? I don't see anything that mentions a supercharger specifically, and Tesla hasn't been putting a lot of superchargers at hotels in recent years.
There is no “associated electrical equipment” for HPWC. No cabinets, no switchgear, no transformer. It would only say charging posts. And I don’t think I have seen a permit for L2 chargers refer to charging posts, that seems to be reserved for L3.

This is a really bad location for expansion. First, its within 2 miles of the existing one. Super high traffic area (due to old mill and downtown). And lastly, this location is going to lure a lot of locals to occupy stalls (which is fine when there is normal capacity, but currently the existing 8 as FM is already showing its age).

A much better location would have been to put this station on the north side, such as Target. Even at the Service Center would have been better. Ideal for load balancing travelers, convenient for accessing, lots of open spaces, etc.
Tesla doesn’t seem to care about spacing locations out. They care about free rent at a site that can handle the capacity they want to install. Look at Fairfield, CA, they are putting in a third site across the street from one of the existing 2 which are across the freeway from each other.

And as far as locals go, are you suggesting that if you don’t have home charging you shouldn’t buy a Tesla? Just asking since you are a local so why are you concerned about the location of any SCs in your town if locals shouldn’t use them?

And as far as locals go, are you suggesting that if you don’t have home charging you shouldn’t buy a Tesla? Just asking since you are a local so why are you concerned about the location of any SCs in your town if locals shouldn’t use them?

What I am referring to is when people who have a home charging solution, still opt to use Superchargers for convivence or other reasons. Bend is becoming a hot spot for Tesla, and I have personally seen multiple residences that own 2 or more vehicles. Assuming this location is at the forementioned location, it would definitely be a site that locals would use. 8 chargers used to be adequate a few years ago, but now with the massive growth (and $5+ gallon of gas) has accelerated this transition.

I'm not here to prove a negative. I think it's likely a supercharger. Just don't think the evidence listed is enough to be sure.
It comes across that way whether you intend to or not. If it were 8 HPWC, Tesla would not be the tenant, the hotel would. Tesla does not provide destination chargers anymore. It is up to the business owner to buy and install and pay for everything. Tesla will then *generously* put you on their map. The land is clearly owned by the hotel, BD BEND DEVELOPMENT, with Tesla clearly being the tenant. Pretty cut and dry Supercharger permit.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Comes across what way?
As trying to prove a negative. You say in a follow up post it’s likely a SC but the prior post you suggest it’s HPWCs. If you combine the 2 posts it would come across how you want but separately they tell different stories.

I agree it doesn’t say supercharger specifically but what else could it be? Tesla stopped providing destination chargers when Gen 3 came out. Here is what a large HPWC permit looks like.

No mention of Tesla as tenant. Only lists property owner. No mention of associated electrical equipment (because there isn’t any, it’s just electric cable from the panel). No mention of charging posts. No one says ”before my new Tesla arrives I am going to install a charging post in my garage.”

Regarding hotels as sites, see (specifically post #22):