Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bend, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Sarcarean, where did they put the chargers? It's an absolutely massive parking lot!

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 2.08.41 PM.png

Hi @Lyon, as I said before, its on the RIGHT side. (Behind Big 5). If you look at my pictures, you can see Big 5 in the background. But, in this HUGE parking lot, its at the worst place. Before, I was expecting for it to be on the LEFT side (near the current fueling station), similar to Sandy. And also to keep it close to other shops in the area (Taco Time, Starbucks, the Pizzeria), and closer to the walk-able places (Mazatlan, Donut shop, Bagel place). The place where it is located, you would have to walk almost 6-8 minutes. On the plus side, you should try the Mongolian BBQ place, its the only one in Central Oregon!

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and Lyon
Does anyone know what the usual timeline for construction is? When this will be open? It looks like they've gotten most of the equipment there, so does it make sense for it to be done in the next week or so? Just curious as I've been itching to get out to bend these days.

I'm really looking forward to this SuperCharger. We were just in Bend and chose to stay at the Oxford because of their chargers. We loved the place and will go back to it again, but having a SuperCharger will open up a lot of sightseeing in the area. My wife and I plan to go back this summer, and this will change the driving/charging dynamics drastically.

And the Sandy charger makes this trip really easy coming from the Seattle metro area.

Reactions: Lyon
The place where it is located, you would have to walk almost 6-8 minutes.
Who could possibly walk for up to 8 minutes! What was Tesla thinking? Will free water be provided so people don't become dehydrated and collapse?

Seriously, a short walk is good for you after sitting immobile in a car for hours.

Does anyone know what the usual timeline for construction is? When this will be open? It looks like they've gotten most of the equipment there, so does it make sense for it to be done in the next week or so? Just curious as I've been itching to get out to bend these days.
It probably will not be done in the next week or so, from what I've seen of a few others. Construction is one thing, and it may be about complete in a week or so, but then the two remaining things are inspection by the city electrical people and then Tesla's technicians to come out and test it to get it OK'd to turn on. Either or both of those two things can be held up for a few weeks.

Been waiting for this, but it looks like it will not be done for my trip to Boise on Thursday May 26th. Now we need to get support for at least a two stall unit in Burns OR.
Definitely. I was coming back home from an Oregon trip a few weeks ago. I thought I was set up pretty well, since I had been using Aerovironment's CHAdeMO stations all week. The route from Bend through Burns to Boise is just way too long, without a few hours' charging in Burns, so not too reasonable when I was trying to get home that night. I was planning to head out from Bend and fill up at the CHAdeMO in Redmond and then go through John Day to the Supercharger in Baker City. The Redmond one was throwing errors and still wouldn't work after a reboot. So I had to backtrack to Sisters and then try to make the run to Baker City from there, which was pretty painful. Superchargers have more reliability and redundancy.

Hi @Lyon, as I said before, its on the RIGHT side. (Behind Big 5). If you look at my pictures, you can see Big 5 in the background. But, in this HUGE parking lot, its at the worst place. Before, I was expecting for it to be on the LEFT side (near the current fueling station), similar to Sandy. And also to keep it close to other shops in the area (Taco Time, Starbucks, the Pizzeria), and closer to the walk-able places (Mazatlan, Donut shop, Bagel place). The place where it is located, you would have to walk almost 6-8 minutes. On the plus side, you should try the Mongolian BBQ place, its the only one in Central Oregon!

Does this looks right (obviously way too big a circle)?
image.jpeg

Hi @Lyon, Yep that is where it is located. My assumption is this area was chosen/offered because its the most unused parking spaces spaces. @ecarfan, I don't mind at all, but I know a lot of people would really dislike the inconvenience. And its one reason I really like Woodburn SC. On the bright side, there is a Baskin-Robbins in Fred Meyers and a smaller starbucks.

Chemult is at one end of a lengthy cross- Cascades route like Bend/Sisters are. Chemult has a couple of restaurants and gas stations. I like that little place and once spent a few days there.
Chemult would work, and I'll vote for it as well. Unfortunately, I think the chances of it actually happening are slim, probably about 1/2 the chance (or at least after) one being put in Adin, CA (about 130 mi south of Chemult and 150 mi north of Reno, NV). Since there is no 2017 map, we only have the latest 2016 map as a gauge, and there are no other SC's in OR. Let's hope for a 2017 update.

Hopefully, Tesla will hold some kind of grand opening event at the new Supercharger in Bend so that local owners can show their support. Adding an additional Supercharger between Bend and Mt Shasta will link California with Central Oregon and Eastern Washington, taking some traffic away from the I5 corridor Superchargers in advance of the Model 3. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!

I live in Bend and I have seen the construction at the Fred Meyer Store on the south side of Bend.
The superstructure is up and according to a workman, it should be working within two weeks.

Thanks for the ETA info! If I'm free I have every intention of making it there for the opening celebration. I went to the opening celebration for the state's first (Woodburn) and this one could be the last new one for a while.

I live about three miles from the Fresno Supercharger. I would drive by daily (yeah, I know, get a life!) I spoke with PG&E the day they dropped the transformer into place and connected it. The worker said that after they completed their testing, that they had to contact "metering" to come out and install the meter. Then, I believe the city inspector had to come out and sign off on completion (but I may be a little fuzzy on this step.)

The meter was placed (I think) four days after the transformer crew secured the transformer. I recall seeing the Tesla technician about 6-7 business days later doing his diagnostic testing and turning on the stalls.

The electric utility in Bend may do things differently. And we really do not know where the Tesla technician comes from to flip the switch and perform the necessary testing.

I think that it has been mentioned elsewhere on this site that Tesla has Supercharger teams scattered around the country for repairs, maintenance and other jobs. It is likely (guessing here) that these same teams also activate the Superchargers. It may boil down to scheduling availability and the home base for the technician before these SC are open for business.

• Informative
Reactions: Keith
My daughter who lives in Bend sent me a picture of several Tesla Supercharging stations still cover in clear plastic bags in the Fred Myers parking lot located off of Third street. I called Tesla to find out when they will be available and they said that they were not aware of them.