Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bend, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Those trips seem pretty comparable to a run from Bend. How much remaining-charge are you anticipating when you get to Baker City?
I'll be doing it in my P85+ with 21" tires which should be equivalent usage to your P85D. I'll range charge in Redmond and I'm hoping to stay at 300Wh/mi for the trip which EVtripplanner says is reasonable at 55mph which would leave me with 40 rated miles or about 15%. You do have to go through Redmond to get to Bend so it is 17 miles further to Bend. There is also a 14-50 at the Grant County Fairground RV Park in John Day that should be available as long as you're not there when the fair is going on (8/9-14th)

Thanks! Those trips seem pretty comparable to a run from Bend. How much remaining-charge are you anticipating when you get to Baker City?

That run from Sisters to Baker City was pretty painful. I don’t have TACC; it was just regular cruise control, and it was 45 mph to start out with, until it was looking decent enough later to speed up some. And there was NO heating at all until we were less than 10 miles from Baker City and knew we could make it. I would generally just not try to do that, unless you can actually plan for a stop in John Day or somewhere along the way to refill some.

I don’t really think of the idea of how much you anticipate remaining. When I was leaving Sisters, I put the Baker City Supercharger in the navigation, and the energy trips tab said 6% at arrival, which is too close for comfort. On those close ones, I adjust the drive and watch the energy all along the way to start out conservatively to account for the unexpected, but then as you get nearer and nearer the destination, you can open it up more. In this case, I couldn’t really open it up more later, because those mountain roads on highways 26 and 7 are freaking dangerous at night, and you have to go really slowly. They don’t have those warning signs that a tight curve is coming up and recommended slowdown speed for it, so the guardrail just shows up out of the dark.

I was at the Fresno Supercharger when the Tesla technician was doing his diagnostic testing before the facility became available to the public. He had a small laptop computer with him that he used to test each of the stalls. He had a manufacturer's Tesla that he moved from stall to stall.

I got the impression that he was in direct communication with someone at corporate while he was doing his job. When he finished testing the final charging stall, he sprinkled the stalls with some holy water, chanted something in Latin, and said it would be a short time later when Tesla would "officially" announce that the site was open.

I checked on my touchscreen a few hours later, and Fresno was listed. I did not check the web.

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
Update. Here is what the site looks like as of this post.

Attachments

• 20160607_140121.jpg
    20160607_140121.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: melindav
Bend locals, any status update on the SC? I'd like to travel through on my way to ID next week. If not, are there multiple CHaDeMO's in your area to choose from?

No idea about the Bend SC. There's an chademo in Sisters and one in Redmond. Get on plugshare.com and get all the details. If you've got a big battery (85 or 90) it looks like Redmond to Baker City is doable on hwy 26; it's 215 miles.

Last edited:
Bend locals, any status update on the SC? I'd like to travel through on my way to ID next week. If not, are there multiple CHaDeMO's in your area to choose from?

I would be really interested in hearing how that trip goes for you. I did it in April. I was going to charge in Redmond, but I found that the CHAdeMO was out of order, even though I had called Aerovironment ahead of time to check on it. I ended up filling all the way up in Sisters and going to Baker City. If you can stop for a while somewhere along the way, it won’t be too bad, but Bend to Baker City with no stops may be tough. Man, I really want a Supercharger in Burns.