Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bend, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're doing a drive from Bend to Mt. Shasta this summer in our 70D. We plan on making a short stop at Crater Lake to charge for an hour and then another hour at Running Y Ranch while we have dinner. evtripplanner seems confident we can make the drive using 210 RM to get there. Adding 40-50 miles along the route should be more than enough.

Any idea how much activity this charger gets? I'll be there on a Thursday in 2 weeks, and have a long drive to Truckee and don't want of spend much time there. Thanks.

I don't believe it's very busy. kmanauto stopped there on a road trip and he was the only one there during the entire time he was charging. I think that was last summer. There are also some 14-50 chargers around Klammath Falls too.

Is this charger particularly slow? I'm currently charging, a little over 60% now, and its at 57kW, 149 amps. Temp is at least in the 60's, so don't think that's an issue.

Overall, never been impressed with supercharger speeds. I have no idea how they figured 0-80% in 20 minutes. I don't think I've ever gotten close to that. Right now, my car is sitting at 69%, and it's estimating 20 minutes to 80%! There is only one other car charging, and it's not on the same numbered charger as me. (Down to 52kW in the time it's taken me to write this post)

Is this charger particularly slow? I'm currently charging, a little over 60% now, and its at 57kW, 149 amps. Temp is at least in the 60's, so don't think that's an issue.

Overall, never been impressed with supercharger speeds. I have no idea how they figured 0-80% in 20 minutes. I don't think I've ever gotten close to that. Right now, my car is sitting at 69%, and it's estimating 20 minutes to 80%! There is only one other car charging, and it's not on the same numbered charger as me. (Down to 52kW in the time it's taken me to write this post)

Tesla states a typical charge time is 10% to 80% in 40 minutes , not 0-80 in 20.
Supercharger | Tesla
57KW at 60% is a little low but not out of the range of normal

Yeah those charging times sound a little worse than average, but nothing out of the ordinary. I've been finding a lot of places that peak around 70kW instead of the preferable 100+kW. I'm not quite sure why. Sometimes they ramp up to a higher number and then come back down and settling in the 60-75 range.

No, that seems perfectly normal. Maybe it's just barely slightly low, but not much. There is a good rule of thumb for seeing if the rate makes sense versus the tapering of charging by your state of charge. If you add up the number of your state of charge in percent and the kilowatts charge rate, it should be between about 120 to 125. In your example, you said you had 60% and 57kW. that adds up to 117, which is pretty normal. And then for your next data point, it was 69% and 52kW, which totals 121, so you're actually perfectly at the right place--no slowness at all.

Bend supercharger completely ICEd.
1481935651189202517755.jpg
OK, the one forward pull in stall was plowed.

Attachments

• 14819355349641668166815.jpg
    14819355349641668166815.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 65
With as much snow as you've been getting there I'm not exactly surprised! Glad to hear one was cleared though!
At first I didn't see the head in spot and I thought I was gong to have to get out my shovel (I was smart enough to bring a small one) I already had a failed attempt to charge at the Sisters OR Chademo but couldn't get the monster plug locked into the adapter because there was ice frozen into some of the many pins. Bend was a mess but the skiing was great!

Reactions: Lyon and goneskiian
At first I didn't see the head in spot and I thought I was gong to have to get out my shovel (I was smart enough to bring a small one) I already had a failed attempt to charge at the Sisters OR Chademo but couldn't get the monster plug locked into the adapter because there was ice frozen into some of the many pins. Bend was a mess but the skiing was great!

Thanks for the head's up. We're heading over on Monday and I'll throw a shovel in the car just in case. When I was there a couple of weeks ago it was totally plowed and easy to use.

Different type of ICE at the Bend Supercharger today. View attachment 207632
Last time I was there, two pickups were parked in supercharger spots. I called in to the Fred Meyer to report it and when I returned, they were gone. Really pisses me off because at that particular location, the signs clearly say Tesla parking only.

In a perfect world, there'd be a way to report this and have the cars towed or ticketed. Pulling valve stems or something similar has crossed my mind, until I remember that my car is significantly more expensive than theirs, and I'd hate to see their retaliation.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Last time I was there, two pickups were parked in supercharger spots. I called in to the Fred Meyer to report it and when I returned, they were gone. Really pisses me off because at that particular location, the signs clearly say Tesla parking only.

In a perfect world, there'd be a way to report this and have the cars towed or ticketed. Pulling valve stems or something similar has crossed my mind, until I remember that my car is significantly more expensive than theirs, and I'd hate to see their retaliation.

Escalation is never a cool thing. And property damage in return for blocking a charger is escalation.

Too bad you can't park at the pump in their gas station the next time they try to fill up. Thing is we have little need to park in their gas station anymore, but they have reason to park in ours.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Escalation is never a cool thing. And property damage in return for blocking a charger is escalation.

Too bad you can't park at the pump in their gas station the next time they try to fill up. Thing is we have little need to park in their gas station anymore, but they have reason to park in ours.

I do this sometimes when I'm in desperate need of beef jerky but only as a joke, not when the gas station is busy or anything. It is fun to ICE a gas station though.

Wouldn't actually do it, just sometimes would like to. They don't really have a reason to park in ours. The supercharges I've visited have never been great spots and when I've seen cars parked in the Bend superchargers, there were other spots available. Ticketing should definitely happen though, particularly when the spots are so clearly marked as Tesla only (as opposed to others, which are not necessarily marked the same).