Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bend, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a season for snow in Bend this year! Half the stalls are blocked by a mountain today.
IMG_0392.JPG

I was there yesterday and parked in 1A the head in spot. Wasn't sharing with 1B. Was only getting around 22kW for most of my charge. It was 84°, would that affect charge rate that much? Too impatient to try moving to a different stall. Left with 40 minutes of charging left. Charging in Sunriver on a 120V at 3 miles an hour now.

I was there yesterday and parked in 1A the head in spot. Wasn't sharing with 1B. Was only getting around 22kW for most of my charge. It was 84°, would that affect charge rate that much? Too impatient to try moving to a different stall. Left with 40 minutes of charging left. Charging in Sunriver on a 120V at 3 miles an hour now.
Switching stalls definitely would have been a faster solution than plugging into an L1 :)

In 2016 when I went to California, I ran into that at Gilroy. Two days later I met a tech at Manteca replacing the charging cables on the superchargers. He told me Tesla was having a problem with the superchargers in California wearing out prematurely from a combination of heavy use and ambient heat. When the equipment doesn't get a chance to cool down between uses, it wears out fast. Hot weather makes this worse. Slow charging is usually the primary symptom of this.

It could be one or more of the stalls at Bend has begun to degrade. Contact Tesla service and report the issue. The guy I talked to at Manteca was about to get transferred to Vancouver, WA where he was going to be the primary tech for all the NW superchargers. Superchargers develop problems, but they are very quick to fix them once they know about them. Back in 2016 they were servicing all the west coast superchargers out of the Bay Area, but now they have people placed more regionally for better service.

In 2016 when I went to California, I ran into that at Gilroy. Two days later I met a tech at Manteca replacing the charging cables on the superchargers. He told me Tesla was having a problem with the superchargers in California wearing out prematurely from a combination of heavy use and ambient heat. When the equipment doesn't get a chance to cool down between uses, it wears out fast. Hot weather makes this worse. Slow charging is usually the primary symptom of this.

It could be one or more of the stalls at Bend has begun to degrade. Contact Tesla service and report the issue. The guy I talked to at Manteca was about to get transferred to Vancouver, WA where he was going to be the primary tech for all the NW superchargers. Superchargers develop problems, but they are very quick to fix them once they know about them. Back in 2016 they were servicing all the west coast superchargers out of the Bay Area, but now they have people placed more regionally for better service.
I was thinking about calling them to see if there might be a problem with my car. I went back today to the Bend Supercharger on a different stall and got around 50kW. It started out around 85kW for a few minutes.

My daughter was at this supercharger last night and tried 4 different stalls and couldn't get a stable charge. It would ramp up and the power level would bounce around and then drop back to zero then ramp back up, bouce, zero repeat. Tesla roadside said they had a call the previous night about this location doing the same thing but they were able to get it to work by turning the car off for five minutes. Didn't work for us, she finally had to get a slow charge at a local hotel.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
My daughter was at this supercharger last night and tried 4 different stalls and couldn't get a stable charge. It would ramp up and the power level would bounce around and then drop back to zero then ramp back up, bouce, zero repeat. Tesla roadside said they had a call the previous night about this location doing the same thing but they were able to get it to work by turning the car off for five minutes. Didn't work for us, she finally had to get a slow charge at a local hotel.

I’ve had that happen with a cold battery and a very low charge (~3%). After about 15 mins of that it finally started to charge

I used this supercharger a couple weeks ago with the temperature around freezing and it was fine. So something has changed recently unfortunately.

I did experience this type of behavior a couple times at both Midland, TX and Lincoln, NE and temperatures were warm for those. Both times I was able to slowly gain enough charge to get to the next supercharger simply by unplugging and plugging back in and then repeating the process over and over again. Each time it would take a few minutes to ramp up to 100kW or so and then back down to 0kW, and it would give me an additional 20 rated miles or so. In fact, I think by the end of it, I figured out that I didn't even have to unplug and plug in, but I could just re-initiate the charge from the touchscreen. So it was annoying but not the end of the world.

• Informative
I had that behavior at Gilroy in 2016. The battery was a little cold, but I drove about 15 miles on the freeway getting there so it wasn't completely cold. The next day I met a Tesla tech at another SC and he said he had done repairs at Gilroy that morning.

• Informative
I too have experienced the 0-110 KW up/down, but at other SCs. I always assumed it was because of a bad cable or excessive heat at the car-cable interface.

At the Sunriver destination chargers, there are two locking power outlets on the other side of the meter panel. I forgot to take a picture of them. If anyone ends up using those chargers, could you take a picture of the outlets? They're big and round and have a center pin....