TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Berlin, VT

Discussion in 'New England' started by SureValla, Aug 31, 2016.

1. SureValla

SureValla Member

Opening a new thread for this:

Google Maps

Public-private partnership set to open : Times Argus Online

http://www.berlinvt.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Jun-21-2016drbm.pdf

New New England Supercharger Locations

"Jessie Karp with Tesla Motors, Inc. advised there would be eight (8) Tesla illuminated charging stations on concrete pads. He estimated around ten vehicles per day to begin with which would increase over time. The word “Tesla” is on the top of the charging station and there would be directional signs with the Tesla logo (T). He advised that quick charge times are around 45 minutes to an hour while full charges take several hours. People would be able to utilize the amenities (convenience store, restaurant, hotel) in the area while charging occurs. He described the cabinets and referred to the plans for further details. Mr. Karp mentioned other Tesla locations in Vermont."

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. tga

tga Active Member

Great location for skiers from the south at Stowe/Sugarbush area resorts. No need to backtrack an hour out of your way to go to Burlington if you don't feel you can make it all the way to West Lebanon.

3. SureValla

SureValla Member

This is exactly why I'm interested in this location. 30 miles from Stowe!

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Now, how about one in St. J?

5. anthony

anthony Member

Probably going to be a long time before we see one in St. J now that this one is so close. I would Expect one around Newport first.

6. tga

tga Active Member

Mad River Glen shareholder here, but same idea!

+100!

But Berlin isn't anywhere near St J, so it shouldn't count...

• Love x 1
  7. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Supercharger in Newport would be great! (Not that I'd use it.) I saw 4 out of state Teslas here last weekend. I've seen one most weekends this summer. Though, East Greenwich isn't that far and is in a pretty good location coming in from most places. What we really need is destination chargers - I don't think any hotels here have gotten on board with that yet.

8. Chuq

Chuq Member

As a non-local, I went to find this location on a map. I thought it was a weird location at first.. then I worked it out.

[​IMG]

9. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

It's a shame that so many articles are factually incorrect. No SC on earth will take "several hours" to charge a Tesla unless that pedestal is broken.

Great news that Vermont gets some continued SC love. Unlike, say, Southern Arizona and points east therefrom *polite cough*.

Berlin's a great location. Kudos to whoever manages the Northeast Region within the SC team.

• Like x 1
  10. Chuq

Chuq Member

Maybe not - compare Idaho Falls / Pocatello, only 50 miles apart. It just depends how the surrounding locations/highways line up.

11. st50maint

st50maint Member

I assumed he meant Newport, Vermont. Both Newports would be good choices.

12. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Ha forgot about Newport, VT. Drove through there once. :) (Not in my Tesla. ha.)

13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Exactly. Besides which, in cold, snowy, hilly environs, an 85 can be lucky to get 180 actual miles out of a 100% charge. Adjusting for the lowest common denominator (a 60 without LRR tires and with an inexperienced driver), the closer the better is a nice rule of thumb for New England SCs.

14. W0QR

W0QR Member

It sure is!
    Times Argus Online is just full of it. Call 'em up and explain the facts to them would you Tao!

15. tes-s

tes-s Member

Great location for me. Visit Waitsfield and Montpelier a couple of times a year - maybe more often now! Round-trip from West Lebanon is doable, but requires long charging time there and usually some additional miles from a J1772 or other source in cooler weather.

16. mattmass

mattmass Member

This is wonderful, and surprising! Boy, what a difference a year makes. At first, trips from Boston to/from Montreal were really tough, and required a CHAdeMO stop. With this, there are going to be so many options, particularly great in the winter.

Feeling spoiled :)

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#17 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Berlin, VT

Interstates: I-89
    US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-2, US-302

I-89:
    To: South Burlington, VT - 39.4 miles
    Diversion: 0.9 miles
    From: Queensbury, NY (NY-66, NY-149, US-4, VT-100, VT-107, I-89) 113 miles
    To: St Laurent, QC (I-89, QC-133, QC-A35, QC-A10, QC-A15, TCH) 140 miles

US-2/US-302
    To: Augusta, ME (US-2, I-91, I-93, US-302, NH-115, US-2, ME-26, ME-219, US-202, I-95) 184 miles.
    To: Magog, QC (US-2, VT-14, VT-15, VT-16, I-91, QC-A55, QC-A10) - 96.2 miles

18. tes-s

tes-s Member

Any signs of construction yet?

19. minderbinder

minderbinder Member

Someone posted a picture on plugshare that claims to be of this site, and it looks almost done (don't want to copy the photo here - just go there and type in Berlin VT). Plugshare info can be iffy, and I can't tell if the photo's legit, though.

• Informative x 1
  20. emupilot

emupilot Member

The photo shows an unusual gas station style pull through configuration on gravel. The Development Review Board minutes indicates that the charging station would utilize a pre-existing gravel partking lot without adding new impervious (paved) area. Having superchargers on a gravel lot is perhaps unique, so I think the photo is legitimate. The pedestals are lit, implying they are operational.