Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethany, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
06524EE4-B1E9-4C56-BC89-8AD792E3187F.jpeg
It’s not Bethany, MO but there is a new urban supercharger being installed at the Hy-Vee at I-29 and Barry Road in Kansas City, North. This location is close to KCI and the intersection of 152 Highway and I-29.

As I wanted to get more information about Bethnay, MO SC, I called their city office (660) 425-3511. The lady who answered my call had heard about Tesla SC project but she told me that it was not presented/approved by the Mayor's office. I am guessing that in a small town (3,300 people), project approvals can move quickly as it can generate more revenue for the town.

I am very interested in the expeditious completion of this SC charger project. If anyone has more insight/information please do post here as I know other are interested too.

While we wait for Bethany construction to start, I'm curious what suggestions people have for getting from the Wichita area to East-bound I-80 in Des Moines and beyond (and also a return trip) in a Long Range Model 3 (aero wheels)

- evtripplanner says I should go: Wichita, Topeka, Council Bluffs, Des Moines, ...

Two other options that are much closer to the routing I would take in the ICE pickup include:

- Staying on I-35 out of Emporia through Ottawa, then taking the 470 bypass to Independence, MO and making the long jump to Des Moines.

- Staying on the Turnpike through Topeka and into Kansas City and recharging at the Urban Supercharger in NW Kansas City before making the long jump to Des Moines

The easy jump to I-80 from Topeka to Council Bluffs route would have me traveling on some two-lane US highways instead of staying to Interstates as well as about 40 extra miles of driving. The shortest route going through Kansas City, MO only adds a few miles to the total trip, but has me recharging at an Urban Supercharger with a slightly lower recharge rate. Routing through Independence, MO puts me through the faster station, but adds about 20 miles to the compared to Kansas City, MO. Both charging sessions in the Kansas City area should be less than 25 minutes according to evtripplanner.

Any guidance for those that have made this trip from I-35 up to I-80 before?

As mentioned in another thread, this trip will be a breeze in the future once Bethany is open. Bethany, MO is normally my lunch stop on the road trips along this stretch of I-35.

Just stop at the KC urban supercharger. There's a Caribou Coffee attached to the gas station there where you can hang out for a while. It's not the greatest coffee shop but it does have some comfy chairs and a faux fireplace. And of course there's always the grocery store if you want to kill time there somehow.

The difference in charge rate between the urban and normal superchargers is not that big. It would rarely make sense to take a slower route just to get the faster charge rate. Basically only if the difference is <10 miles or <10 minutes of traffic.

I'm not from the KC area, but I suspect you'd be much more likely to hit traffic going over to Independence than you would by using the urban supercharger in North KC.