Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethel, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they didn’t have it ready for this Ski season yet I wouldn’t be surprised if this site was back burnered until summer or early fall to capture the next ski season when most cars will be traveling through to Sunday River.

and I was really hoping to be able to get there in the Tesla.
It is possible to get to SR in a Tesla. I've been doing it for several years now (caveat: I always stay overnight). Sunday River has 4 destination chargers (3 at the "main" South Ridge Lodge).

As for the SuC, I did just drive by the Irving in Bethel yesterday on the way home, and can confirm no signs of any work there.

It's disappointing to see this charger hasn't been installed. I haven't been snowboarding up that way in a while, and I was really hoping to be able to get there in the Tesla.

Tesla trips to Sunday River are definitely possible without Superchargers.

The town of Bethel has 5 charging stations at various business, the Jordan hotel has 1 Tesla destination charger out front and the ski area has 3 Tesla destination chargers, all of which have good scores on PlugShare. They certainly aren't as quick and easy as a Supercharger would be, but visiting this area is definitely possible.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
It is possible to get to SR in a Tesla. I've been doing it for several years now (caveat: I always stay overnight). Sunday River has 4 destination chargers (3 at the "main" South Ridge Lodge).

The destination chargers have been discussed several times here, and they're basically full instantly when Sunday River opens. And since I live relatively close, I don't stay over night.

There's a few destination charges in downtown Norway, ME. Nice place to stop and grab a bite at the restaurants downtown.

I wouldn't mind that, but it's 150 miles each way for me. With 80 miles between Sunday River and the nearest supercharger on my route. Stopping downtown in Norway is the opposite direction for my drive. To drive through Portland on my way home would add more than an hour.

Tesla trips to Sunday River are definitely possible without Superchargers.

The town of Bethel has 5 charging stations at various business, the Jordan hotel has 1 Tesla destination charger out front and the ski area has 3 Tesla destination chargers, all of which have good scores on PlugShare. They certainly aren't as quick and easy as a Supercharger would be, but visiting this area is definitely possible.

Destination chargers are in use 100% of the time based on me asking for two years. Basically, if I can't charge while I snowboard, I can't make it home, unless I'm willing to spend just under 2 hours at a AC charger that can do ~ 11kW. Over 2 hours if it's 7kW.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1 and Big Earl
The destination chargers have been discussed several times here, and they're basically full instantly when Sunday River opens. And since I live relatively close, I don't stay over night.

I wouldn't mind that, but it's 150 miles each way for me. With 80 miles between Sunday River and the nearest supercharger on my route. Stopping downtown in Norway is the opposite direction for my drive. To drive through Portland on my way home would add more than an hour.

Destination chargers are in use 100% of the time based on me asking for two years. Basically, if I can't charge while I snowboard, I can't make it home, unless I'm willing to spend just under 2 hours at a AC charger that can do ~ 11kW. Over 2 hours if it's 7kW.

Sounds to me like Sunday River needs to put it many many more destination chargers. Especially for one of the largest, not to mention remote, ski areas in New England.
I charged at Sugarbush last year where they have dozens. That's doing it right.
Considering I often have a choice where I want to ski when I have a free weekend, things like ample available changing will definitely sway my decision on where to spend my $120++ on a lift ticket.

Sounds to me like Sunday River needs to put it many many more destination chargers. Especially for one of the largest, not to mention remote, ski areas in New England.
I charged at Sugarbush last year where they have dozens. That's doing it right.
Considering I often have a choice where I want to ski when I have a free weekend, things like ample available changing will definitely sway my decision on where to spend my $120++ on a lift ticket.

I've hosted two large car events at Sunday River in recent years and have found their management to be friendly and accommodating. It might be worth reaching out to them and requesting/recommending additional destination chargers at their lodging facilities.

The Grand Summit Hotel needs EV charging (none currently), the Jordan Grand Hotel needs more than the one that's there currently (they missed an opportunity to run a 100 amp line and connect several wall connectors to it) and the Snow Cap Inn needs a few. There is no shortage of power available on the mountain, so they could really load up on EV charging equipment without much of a problem. Sunday River Brewing Company is another excellent candidate for EV charging.

I suspect a number of these locations think their EV charging problems will be resolved when Tesla installs Superchargers in Bethel, which is false. It will solve the Tesla charging problem, but there are still a number of non-Tesla EVs that visit the mountain and rely on extremely limited J1772 charging options in the area.

Reactions: DrDabbles