TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Bethel, ME

Discussion in 'New England' started by mociaf9, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Castlerock

Castlerock Member

Sure!

• Like x 2
  2. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

3. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

No. This is the thread about the Bethel SuC, and the comment I was responding to was asking about the Sunday River Ski Area, just a few miles away from the proposed SuC.

4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I made a slow loop around the Irving today, October 5th, and there was no sign of construction. No precursor to construction like pennants or markings on the pavement, either.

• Informative x 7
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Didn't expect Skowhegan construction to start as part of this regional burst but did/will they move on to Bethel now?

6. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

They haven't moved onto Bethel yet, at least as of this Monday (October 14), as there was still no sign of anything going on at the Irving (I drove around the parking lot like RiverBrick did).

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. tguild

tguild Member

I really wish they gave Bethel priority over Skowhegan which has relatively nearby SC in Augusta, Bangor and now Jackman. I’ll grumble about this every trip to Sunday River this season.

• Like x 4
  8. eladts

eladts Member

Look at the bright side - by the time Bethel is built it will surely be V3, or maybe V4.

9. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

I hopeful we'll see some progress at Bethel by our first ski trip to SR (in December).

10. Clifford

Clifford New Member

I just called the Irving station where these are to be located (sometime in 2019?) but they have nothing to report. I'm headed up there tomorrow.

• Informative x 1
  11. Surfertom

Surfertom Member

Have they forgotten about Bethel? Any locals see activity, it has been a while.........

12. mcot222

mcot222 Member

Since they didn’t have it ready for this Ski season yet I wouldn’t be surprised if this site was back burnered until summer or early fall to capture the next ski season when most cars will be traveling through to Sunday River.

13. DrDabbles

DrDabbles Member

It's disappointing to see this charger hasn't been installed. I haven't been snowboarding up that way in a while, and I was really hoping to be able to get there in the Tesla.

• Disagree x 1
  14. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

It is possible to get to SR in a Tesla. I've been doing it for several years now (caveat: I always stay overnight). Sunday River has 4 destination chargers (3 at the "main" South Ridge Lodge).

As for the SuC, I did just drive by the Irving in Bethel yesterday on the way home, and can confirm no signs of any work there.

15. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

There's a few destination charges in downtown Norway, ME. Nice place to stop and grab a bite at the restaurants downtown.

• Like x 1
  16. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

Tesla trips to Sunday River are definitely possible without Superchargers.

The town of Bethel has 5 charging stations at various business, the Jordan hotel has 1 Tesla destination charger out front and the ski area has 3 Tesla destination chargers, all of which have good scores on PlugShare. They certainly aren't as quick and easy as a Supercharger would be, but visiting this area is definitely possible.

• Like x 1
  17. DrDabbles

DrDabbles Member

The destination chargers have been discussed several times here, and they're basically full instantly when Sunday River opens. And since I live relatively close, I don't stay over night.

I wouldn't mind that, but it's 150 miles each way for me. With 80 miles between Sunday River and the nearest supercharger on my route. Stopping downtown in Norway is the opposite direction for my drive. To drive through Portland on my way home would add more than an hour.

Destination chargers are in use 100% of the time based on me asking for two years. Basically, if I can't charge while I snowboard, I can't make it home, unless I'm willing to spend just under 2 hours at a AC charger that can do ~ 11kW. Over 2 hours if it's 7kW.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. JWardell

JWardell Member

Sounds to me like Sunday River needs to put it many many more destination chargers. Especially for one of the largest, not to mention remote, ski areas in New England.
    I charged at Sugarbush last year where they have dozens. That's doing it right.
    Considering I often have a choice where I want to ski when I have a free weekend, things like ample available changing will definitely sway my decision on where to spend my $120++ on a lift ticket.

• Like x 3
  19. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

I've hosted two large car events at Sunday River in recent years and have found their management to be friendly and accommodating. It might be worth reaching out to them and requesting/recommending additional destination chargers at their lodging facilities.

The Grand Summit Hotel needs EV charging (none currently), the Jordan Grand Hotel needs more than the one that's there currently (they missed an opportunity to run a 100 amp line and connect several wall connectors to it) and the Snow Cap Inn needs a few. There is no shortage of power available on the mountain, so they could really load up on EV charging equipment without much of a problem. Sunday River Brewing Company is another excellent candidate for EV charging.

I suspect a number of these locations think their EV charging problems will be resolved when Tesla installs Superchargers in Bethel, which is false. It will solve the Tesla charging problem, but there are still a number of non-Tesla EVs that visit the mountain and rely on extremely limited J1772 charging options in the area.

• Like x 1
  20. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Do they have a valet? If so, make the spots valet-only and rotate cars out after two or three hours when people are waiting.