Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That area of the mall is very crowded and since it is right by 2 entrances there is a good amount of traffic going by the Tesla spots. I have often parked there when going to the mall, I move the chain and park/charge, then move it back when I leave. I have often stopped by the store to let them know I parked there and they have always been very friendly about it. Of course, now I will probably no longer park there unless I need the supercharger, as they lost one spot and there are only 2 non-supercharger spots left, which I am sure the demo cars will need.

They can expand in that spot, but they would need new spots for their demo cars (and additional owner parking, if they decide they want that added feature for owners visiting the mall. I have to say, it is tricky reversing into those spots as there is a lot of traffic there.

The nice thing about the Supercharger "pallet" is that only one space is back-in while the other is head-in. I think we know which one will be used first.

Actually, I'm not sure. Given the traffic Ven Rala mentioned, I might back into the spot so that I don't have to back out into oncoming traffic - particularly given that the supercharger hardware will block some of the visibility.

Well, we had power outage in Howard county. I drove to bethesda from ellicott city, being very careful, it cost me 27 miles rated range for a 30 miles trip. I sat and worked at startbucks while i got a full charge (to %90), It took almost exactly one hour to go from 25 rated miles to 216.

The stall where you head in, you must come within 1 inch or the wall to get the SC connector to fit comfortably into the port. I used the back-in stall. There it is sort of opposite, you can't back in all the or the connector would no longer reach.

I sure hope it stays permanent. I also think they should put an SC in the Tyscon's mall.

Locals! Please post a few more photos of this mobile supercharger. A photo in particular of the way it connects power at its base. Also, are there two NEMA14-50 plugs on the wall where the cable conduit turns and runs up the wall? I see two electrical plugs there and I am wondering what they are. Thanks in advance to the posters!!

Locals! Please post a few more photos of this mobile supercharger. A photo in particular of the way it connects power at its base. Also, are there two NEMA14-50 plugs on the wall where the cable conduit turns and runs up the wall? I see two electrical plugs there and I am wondering what they are. Thanks in advance to the posters!!

I charged there Saturday night after the TeslaRoadTrip evening get-together. Yes, there are 14-50's on the wall. I did not see your message, so I didn't take any photos. I was busy trying to clean the car a bit for the photo shoots on Sunday, although it was only marginally successful due to the temperature (below freezing) and the fact that whatever I did was undone by the time I drove the 15 miles back to the event. Oh, well.

I did end up parking within about 2 inches of the front wall. Apparently someone has already put a dent into that wall. Also, I ended up parking uncomfortably close to the yellow bollard which is definitely going to to cause someone grief with a dent in the middle of their driver's door. The should at least put up some foam covers onto the bollards.

Paid a visit to Bethesda on Monday afternoon to get enough charge to make it to the Glen Allen charger on the way home after the Tesla Road Trip event, took a few low quality cell phone pictures there while waiting for a spot to open up.

Base of the charger:
IMG_2391.JPG

Plugs on wall behind charger:
IMG_2392.JPG

Hardware on the back side of the wall:
IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

That charger is definitely in a busy location; both sides of the SC were in use for the several hours I was there on Monday afternoon, and the two spots between the SC and the mall entrance were blocked by a single ICE car with a handicap permit.
IMG_2393.JPG

Talked with one Tesla store manager as she was walking through the parking garage, sounds like they definitely have issues with ICEing. During the hour or so I was loitering there waiting for either the ICE to depart or one of the SC spots to free up, mall security came by and wrote up a warning notice for the ICE car, said they would get towed in the next 30-60 minutes.

Luck for the ICE owner, they returned before getting towed and departed the scene right as I was returning from a restroom visit, before I had a chance to comment on their atrocious parking skills. Once they left, at least then I had access to the HPWC at the end of the row. Came back after killing time in the mall to find that the S with Florida plates had moved from the SC spot to the one between the SC and the HPWC. Kind of annoying, as another owner stranded in the area like myself could have at least made use of the 14-50 plug that was now being blocked by an S!

That charger is definitely in a busy location; both sides of the SC were in use for the several hours I was there on Monday afternoon, and the two spots between the SC and the mall entrance were blocked by a single ICE car with a handicap permit.
Several hours? Are people leaving their vehicles there longer than it needs to be? Wonder if this location is getting more local use than drive through and if that may become an issue.

Several hours? Are people leaving their vehicles there longer than it needs to be? Wonder if this location is getting more local use than drive through and if that may become an issue.
Well, I don't think any individual S was in place at the SC for much longer than an hour, as both spots rotated through to new S while I was there; I just wasn't at the front of the line on the first SC spot's rotation, and was killing time in the mall while on the HPWC during the second SC spot's rotation. Likely could have switched from the HPWC to the SC when the FL car moved over one spot (as in theory I would have been there waiting the longest), but I had done enough loitering at that point and was getting a quick bite in the mall. :wink:

Yeah, it really is in a HORRIBLE spot in the mall... and with only two slots... this is almost more harm than good. Hopefully they will change this soon.

I doubt it. When I spoke with the tesla employee there it sounded like the reason they were going to make it permanent was because it was do difficult to put in in the first place. Though it would be nice for it to be in another location. I can't complain too much, I'm just happy to have it there

I doubt it. When I spoke with the tesla employee there it sounded like the reason they were going to make it permanent was because it was do difficult to put in in the first place. Though it would be nice for it to be in another location. I can't complain too much, I'm just happy to have it there

Bah! That's depressing... With like no room for expansion in the future either. When we get official word back on this becoming permanent, someone needs to talk to them about it.

This is what I feared... I'm going to be driving from Hamilton, ON to DC in a couple weeks. I guess I'll plan to top up at Hagerstown instead of skipping it.

This is what I feared... I'm going to be driving from Hamilton, ON to DC in a couple weeks. I guess I'll plan to top up at Hagerstown instead of skipping it.

Well if you're there before the mall opens or as it is closing it is worth a visit.
I hit it twice near President's Day weekend (Sunday just before the mall opened and Tuesday night as the mall was closing).

Good timing on my part!

I was there during the RoadTrip event on a Saturday night at 10:30pm. Not a problem. I was also there the following Saturday at 11:00am. It was constantly full and that was on a light weekend. On busier travel weekends or holidays, this location would be a disaster during mall hours.

It is a bit eerie being there after hours. Plus, there are no conveniences available during those times. I still think the best locations will have 24/7 food services/bathrooms like many gas stations alongside major highways.

I attempted to drop by this Supercharger around 1pm today and it was insanely packed in the parking lot. Instantly made me remember that malls are irritating. 3 Teslas were there. At least one was a store vehicle with CA plates. I'm glad I don't have to rely on this station.

If parked correctly 6 Teslas can fit in the spaces. Bring your UMC just in case. The UMC cord should be able to reach any of the parking spaces. I only remember seeing one HPWC

I'm not sure if the mall walls off any of the entrances at night.