Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Mbaj4,

Sorry about your poor experience at Bethesda. It sucks when things don't go smoothly or quickly on the end of a long trip.

A good note for future Supercharging is that all Superchargers work in the way described to you, they split the majority of power to the first stall and give the remaining to the second stall. Pairs of stalls are usually marked A and B (i.e. 1A and 1B). It's more noticeable at Bethesda because there is only one pair of stalls, and there is less power available to be split, because it's a 90kW charger vs the usual 120kW chargers most other places. As an interesting note, the charger there is capable of 120kW, but the Mall doesn't have the extra power to spare to give it.

Best of Luck in your travels!

Peter

For future trips to the area, I will avoid Bethesda at all costs. I had just driven 11 hours and had 56 miles remaining, with some moderate driving to do in the Silver Spring area over the next day. So, to be on the safe side I went to the Mall to charge at about 11:30 p.m. First of all it isn't well marked and I drove around for about 15 minutes looking for it. I finally flagged down a security guard in his truck and he took me to the garage where it was located (a good guy!). When I got there, there were two owners charging. One owner said that this was one of the first Supercharger installs and that it is set up so that the first person to arrive gets 66% of the available power, then the next person and those after share what is left. It took until 1:00 a.m. to charge up to 150 which I decided was enough until I could get up to Hagerstown. It was a tiring and frustrating night.

For future trips to the area, I will avoid Bethesda at all costs. I had just driven 11 hours and had 56 miles remaining, with some moderate driving to do in the Silver Spring area over the next day. So, to be on the safe side I went to the Mall to charge at about 11:30 p.m. First of all it isn't well marked and I drove around for about 15 minutes looking for it. I finally flagged down a security guard in his truck and he took me to the garage where it was located (a good guy!). When I got there, there were two owners charging. One owner said that this was one of the first Supercharger installs and that it is set up so that the first person to arrive gets 66% of the available power, then the next person and those after share what is left. It took until 1:00 a.m. to charge up to 150 which I decided was enough until I could get up to Hagerstown. It was a tiring and frustrating night.

Wow! Am on a road trip with family to DC. We charged at Newark, DE and it was as would be expected. Then went to Bethesda and had a “challenging” experience. First, it was not easy to find the SC. After 15 minutes and finding it there were two vehicles charging. We waited 1+ hour before getting into the stall. It was painfully slow. Charged for 1 hour and added only 50 miles! On the return trip back north in a few days will have to charge there again to have enough to make it to Newark DE. I have a 60 kWh, which requires more planning and less flexibility with regard to distance.

Wow! Am on a road trip with family to DC. We charged at Newark, DE and it was as would be expected. Then went to Bethesda and had a “challenging” experience. First, it was not easy to find the SC. After 15 minutes and finding it there were two vehicles charging. We waited 1+ hour before getting into the stall. It was painfully slow. Charged for 1 hour and added only 50 miles! On the return trip back north in a few days will have to charge there again to have enough to make it to Newark DE. I have a 60 kWh, which requires more planning and less flexibility with regard to distance.

You can't use Woodbridge instead?

Thanks for the suggestion. Woodbridge is 28 miles south from where we are in VA. Will be using the Metro to get around over the next few days and will see what other charging options are available for the return trip. May just tough it out at the Bethesda SC one night.

Thanks for the suggestion. Woodbridge is 28 miles south from where we are in VA. Will be using the Metro to get around over the next few days and will see what other charging options are available for the return trip. May just tough it out at the Bethesda SC one night.

I would offer up my 80A hpwc but I'm currently on a road trip as well and I'm not home. There are many owners around- I bet you could find someone on plug share. You might also call the Tyco service center. They have an SC there not intended for public use, but if you ask nicely and share your Bethesda experience maybe they'll be nice. I know they've done it before. Oh, there are two HPWCs at tysons corner mall too.

I would offer up my 80A hpwc but I'm currently on a road trip as well and I'm not home. There are many owners around- I bet you could find someone on plug share. You might also call the Tyco service center. They have an SC there not intended for public use, but if you ask nicely and share your Bethesda experience maybe they'll be nice. I know they've done it before. Oh, there are two HPWCs at tysons corner mall too.

As well as at least one NEMA 14-50. Tysons mall is hit or miss, I often see Tesla's parked there taking up the space but not even plugged in.

Not sure where you are staying, but I have an 80A HPWC in South Arlington that you are welcome to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where you are staying, but I have an 80A HPWC in South Arlington that you are welcome to use.

EDIT: There's also the Tesla store downtown, which has a number of HPWCs that you can plug into if you're going to be touring the Mall, etc. You have to call ahead, but they may be able to accommodate you.

Bethesda isn't always as slow as what you experienced, but if you're staying in Virginia there's a reasonable chance (depending on the time of day) that Woodbridge might still end up being a net faster/higher-range charge for you than Bethesda.

FYI, Bethesda SC is experiencing problems with the power feed. I plugged in tonight just before 7 (I was the only car) in the A slot (on the left, the one you back into) and was getting 120 amps, until another car came and plugged in, and mine dropped to 20 amps. I called it in and both of us were getting low amps. Even when I stopped charging, the other car only went up to about 67 amps. They have a technician coming on Thursday to fix it, but just FYI.

(at first I thought this was part of the secret "reduce rate for locals charging" plan, but phew, not yet!! (for those that don't know, I've been looking for a house with a garage for about 2 years now... in the meantime, I'm borrowing my parents' garage in Baltimore))

Agree! I believe they have been looking pretty hard for a permanent location for some "real super chargers"

if you know anyone in real estate who would offer up a few spots in exchange for tesla shopping traffic, give them a call :)

My office is in the neighborhood of the Bethesda supercharger at Montgomery Mall. In addition to the mall we have several smaller strip centers with relatively easy access to I-270 and I-495. If you know the area I think the Wildwood shopping center on Old Georgetown at Democracy would be the best fit. They have a high-end grocery store, coffee shops, salad joint, and a bunch of other stores that cater to exactly the same demo that buys Teslas. Federal Realty operates it, and I know they like money, so c'mon guys: let's make a deal!

Paul

Wildwood is an interesting idea. Do you think there's a good place for it there? I thought there was a J1772 at that bank next to the gas station, but I just checked PlugShare and it's not listed. That parking lot is generally pretty full and busy though, so they'd have to locate the SC in a back corner. And even there, parking is sometimes tight, and I don't just mean around holidays...

Wildwood is an interesting idea. Do you think there's a good place for it there? I thought there was a J1772 at that bank next to the gas station, but I just checked PlugShare and it's not listed. That parking lot is generally pretty full and busy though, so they'd have to locate the SC in a back corner. And even there, parking is sometimes tight, and I don't just mean around holidays...

The parking area between Balducci's and the doctors building rarely fills completely. Six spots in that back corner doesn't sound like too much of an 'ask' to me.