Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Big Sky, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A listing for a Supercharger in Big Sky Montana just appeared on PlugShare near the Residence Inn and Big Sky Market. Provided was one photo, showing a fully completed Supercharger, powered by V2 cabinets. Since Tesla hasn’t done V2 installs in a while, it leads me to believe that this project has been in the works for quite a while. Big Sky isn’t on Tesla’s coming soon map so that’s probably why no one noticed. Will add this on Supercharge Info!!
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
1C9773EF-D34A-45D4-ADFB-1B0E67556E97.jpeg

My first thought was, What the Hell? Why here, why not the one in Bighorn? Looks like the Residence Inn people want to attract Tesla people and pulled one in.
Sure wish a few other key locations would get a local enthusiast to pull in an SC installation.
Congrats in any case.

Reactions: KJD
My first thought was, What the Hell? Why here, why not the one in Bighorn? Looks like the Residence Inn people want to attract Tesla people and pulled one in.
Congrats in any case.

Not sure that works (except in theory). If spending the night, I don't need a SpC. Only once have I stayed in a hotel/SpC combo, but charged in the morning during breakfast.
Only advantage I see is if there is a decent restaurant in the Residence Inn - it does indicate restaurant. Maybe a lunch or early dinner stop on way to next town.

Not sure that works (except in theory). If spending the night, I don't need a SpC. Only once have I stayed in a hotel/SpC combo, but charged in the morning during breakfast.
Only advantage I see is if there is a decent restaurant in the Residence Inn - it does indicate restaurant. Maybe a lunch or early dinner stop on way to next town.
To each his own, but I stay at supercharger hotels all the time. You are correct that you don't need the speed of the supercharger, but the main issue is reliability. Hotel superchargers are nearly 100% to work and have a spot available, while L2 charging at a hotel is more in the 80-90% range, depending on the setup, if you call ahead, etc. I also just like to support businesses that help build out the supercharger network.

It does seem a bit ugh I can see it being more important in the winter. Big sky is a pretty serious ski resort. There are very few charging ports up there, and I would think that most of the folks staying there with need would be tesla owners.

interesting location. I worked up there a couple of summers. Gorgeous place.

Reactions: tmoz
A listing for a Supercharger in Big Sky Montana just appeared on PlugShare near the Residence Inn and Big Sky Market. Provided was one photo, showing a fully completed Supercharger, powered by V2 cabinets. Since Tesla hasn’t done V2 installs in a while, it leads me to believe that this project has been in the works for quite a while. Big Sky isn’t on Tesla’s coming soon map so that’s probably why no one noticed. Will add this on Supercharge Info!!
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
View attachment 542735
I am surprised. With Tesla charging stations at both Bozeman and West Yellowstone (At the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center), why here. I have driven that road three times since I got my T3. Chargers at Old Faithful would be great. This is the center of Yellowstone. And considering the size of the park, this would be an ideal location. Most Residence Inns do not have a restaurants.

It's not the end of the world that the Bighorn location is delayed. The distance between Billings and Miles City is 145 miles. The distance between Billings and Sheridan (WY) is 135 miles. No one is worried about putting one in at Custer's Battlefield. We're lucky to have so many in sparsely populated Montana. These installations are very expensive. Whoever helped make the case for Big Sky is one thing, but when you have these locations that cooperate with Tesla, it helps a lot!