Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Big Sky, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory on the the 90 deg positioning.

1. The Lighted post are turned so they are less noticeable when viewed from the hotel.
2. Post doesn't block your walking path between vehicles as much.
3. You have easy access to vehicle trunk for loading unloading. No bollards, due to curb stop

Hotels with superchargers in the lot will often give you a discounted room rate, if you spend the night. You just have to mention you are a Tesla owner staying the night. I know this is true for the SuC in Hayes KS. at the Holiday inn Express.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Not sure that works (except in theory). If spending the night, I don't need a SpC. Only once have I stayed in a hotel/SpC combo, but charged in the morning during breakfast.
Only advantage I see is if there is a decent restaurant in the Residence Inn - it does indicate restaurant. Maybe a lunch or early dinner stop on way to next town.

Always charge a warm battery.

When you have Supercharger adjacent to hotel, its sensible to unload, plug-in, settle in, then move the car after its charged.

When you have Supercharger adjacent to hotel, its sensible to unload, plug-in, settle in, then move the car after its charged.
I occasionally use Superchargers next to hotels and charge to 90% after arrival then move. I then move and charge the next morning while getting ready and having breakfast. Works great.

Agree, but I plug in before unloading! I guess it depends how much you have to unload, but I travel light. Once I have checked in and unpacked, it's usually pretty close to 90% anyway. I rarely go back in the morning for the additional 10%, but it is an option if needed.

I occasionally use Superchargers next to hotels and charge to 90% after arrival then move. I then move and charge the next morning while getting ready and having breakfast. Works great.

This usually works great but .......
I charged at the Butte supercharger in mid February 2019 to 90% with plans to top off in the morning over breakfast.
Unfortunately it was -6F and no juice would flow.
Only after turning the heat on full for 30 min did the battery warm up enough to start to charge.

Brrrrrr

Reactions: PStewart and WadeMT
I charged at the Butte supercharger in mid February 2019 to 90% with plans to top off in the morning over breakfast.
Only after turning the heat on full for 30 min did the battery warm up enough to start to charge.
Brrrrrr
Oh man, I experienced something like that earlier this year. Should have warmed up the car from the hotel room. The supercharger was not at the hotel but was nearby in this case. After spending 10 minutes (below) not charging ... I had realized that I had enough SOC to get the next supercharger down the road. The battery was being heated all the way to it and it charged nicely then.
Yw35l0G.jpg

K4Z86BO.jpg

In Butte I plugged into the 110v in the parking lot to charge in the morning. It is slow but free. And I could use the app to turn it on and monitor the car while I ate Breakfast.

That chart assumes 240V, not 120. And charging rate might be 0 if it's really cold and all the power is going into heating the battery! :)

Which can be just fine if you charged to 90% night prior, and it is that cold. I have done exactly that. Charge it up to 90ish at SC then to hotel to trickle or keep warm. Also with a just a normal plug you probably aren't hogging a power slot. I have even asked if I could unplug Christmas lights at 11pm and re plug in the morning. If you ask people usually don't care.

Reactions: scottf200
That chart assumes 240V, not 120. And charging rate might be 0 if it's really cold and all the power is going into heating the battery! :)
Sorry, you are correct as it is clear from the 3rd column header. I'm not use to seeing references to 20 or 15 amp circuits at 240V. Another chart I had showed both explicitly.
We charge my Tesla X on a NEMA 14-50 but at 240v/30 amps and our other two PHEVs 120v/12 amps. These are on an attached garage so not that cold even in Chicagoland. I had a 120v block heater on my ICE car parked outside in northern MT and that was required :)
dWGNtAx.jpg

Just called the Residence Inn and spoke to someone who first said "I thought those were supposed to be turned on next week" and then consulted the manager who said "we're still waiting on a final contract signature before we flip the switch. We're not sure exactly when that will be though." So...... keep waiting I guess?

• Informative
Reactions: corywright