Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger billing discrepancy in Calgary Alberta anyone else experienced this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new Model 3 owner and just tried out the supercharger for the first time. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this for their pay per use supercharger session. Being the first time at the supercharger I watched the screen tick away over 35 mins and essentially watched the per minute cost that as the car reported added up to 7.60$. As I monitored the charge session, only the first 5 mins or so of the session was > 60kw the rest of the time I stayed well under 60kw. When I later reviewed the invoice from Tesla, they invoiced 11.40$ for the same session. I reviewed the TeslaFi data which matched the car's calculation of 7.60$ and so far Tesla hasn't provided any explanation to the relatively large discrepancy in cost calculations.

From what I gather using the per minute dataset that was recorded during that session, the only way to arrive at the invoice price was to basically increase the charge rate at all datapoints by 10kw. In fact doing this data transform matched the invoice exactly give or take a minute.

Anyone else experienced this supercharging their Tesla? Why would there be such a huge difference between what the car reported and what the supercharger (I assume) recorded? at the car's price of 7.60$ the per kWh cost is about 0.25$ but at the invoiced price it's about .35$/kwh which is getting up their to matching gas prices...

Is this normal or did I just get a bum supercharger the first time around?

Thanks!
Richard

A SWAG: Could the discrepancy be explained by the other energy used by the car while plugged in, especially heating the cabin and the seats, running defogger/defroster, etc? (I notice that you are in Calgary).

It wasn’t a cold day. It was around 12 degrees celcius outside. No seat heaters were on and the internal temp was set for about 16.5c so not much as far as cabin heating/ac usage during the charge session.

i have since tried 2 more sessions with the supercharger same location different charger and these two sessions had no variance between invoice and what the car showed for the sessions. So I’m thinking that there might have been something wrong with the specific charger I used that day.

the two recent sessions had similar weather conditions and similar electronics were operating in the car. These two sessions also charged at a higher charge rate during the session. Although the highest wattage reached in both sessions was only 80kw. The supercharger is 150kw and I was the only one there. Will try charging from a lower soc and see if I can get higher charge rate.

I did send in my evidence to tesla and have yet to hear back from their senior support...

Lucky me to use the one charge station that would give me false reading lol...

• Informative
Reactions: pdxrajiv