TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger Billing - What's the credit card merchant category?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by jsmay311, Aug 21, 2018.

1. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how Supercharger billing transactions are categorized on credit card statements for the purposes of credit card rewards?

I've got a few different credit cards and each has it's own categories of merchants where it gives higher cashback rates (3-5%), including "travel" and "gas stations". (I know Superchargers aren't gas stations, but I figure there's at least a chance that they're categorized as such.) So I'm wondering if I should use one of those credit cards for my Tesla account for Supercharging, or if I should just use one that has a decent cashback rate (2%) cashback for all merchants.

Granted, it'll only make a few dollars difference per year at most either way. But still, enquiring minds want to know. :D

Thanks!

2. Need

Need Active Member

I can tell you that when you pay Tesla for extended warranty, reservation for model 3, deposit for model 3, accessories from the shop, they all categorized as "Transportation: Automotive Expenses" on my Bank of America Premium Reward card. And it is NOT considered as Travel at least by BoA.

• Informative x 2
  3. swaltner

swaltner Member

My Supercharger expenses on a credit card with US Bank came through with the following merchant details:

Merchant category
    AUTO/TRUCK DEALER - SALES/SERVICE/REPAIRS/PARTS/LEASING

That's the same category as for the parts order I placed on tesla.com for some charging adapters.

• Informative x 1
  4. Need

Need Active Member

I got that same wordings but listed under Merchant Description on BoA. The "Transportation: Automotive Expenses" is listed as Transaction Category.