TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Blanding, UT

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by MarkR, Jan 28, 2015.

1. MarkR

MarkR Member

Blanding, Utah is a city in the midst of some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. You’ll want to visit Blanding and use it as a hub for exploring Natural Bridges National Monument, Monument Valley, the Four Corners area, Lake Powell, the archaeological finds at Cedar Mesa, Goosenecks State Park, and the Needles district of Canyonlands National Park.

Weird Fact: Blanding, originally called Grayson, was renamed in 1914 in exchange for a donation of 500 books to the library.

The Blanding supercharger is 75 miles from Moab-UT, 127 miles from Farmington-NM, 226 miles from Holbrook-AZ and 249 miles from Flagstaff-AZ.

BlandingA.gif BlandingB.gif BlandingC.gif BlandingD.gif

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

July 14, 2014
    BlandingLightning.jpg

3. MarkR

MarkR Member

GREAT picture!

4. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

The supercharger is at the town park, visitor center and town museum. The museum is on the local history and the visitor center is staffed by nice local residents that can answer just about any question on the local area. In inclement weather they invited us to use a room off the visitor center for our picnic lunch. A guy with a pickup and travel trailer managed to block 3 of 4 supercharger stalls the second time we were there. The first time we had quite an audience when we pulled up and plugged in. Last spring Teslas were pretty unusual in Blanding.

5. tessnme

tessnme Member

We charged there in April. The art shop across the street has coffee - hard to come by in Southern Utah. Managed to make from here to Flagstaff with only a quick boost at the Monument Valley RV Park. The boost was probably not necessary, but the Navajo Flatbread at Gouldings was worth a stop.

6. rogermm

rogermm Member

I have a Model S 85 and am planning a trip to southern Utah from Monterey, CA. I was curious about driving from the Holbrook, AZ supercharger to the Blanding, UT supercharger. EVtripplanner shows 218 rated miles. I'm just curious if there are any issues or gotchas that I should consider. Doesn't appear it would be an issue. I plan to make the drive in mid April. Thanks for any feedback.

7. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Just be aware that country is very beautiful, lonely, and empty of infrastructure. A large part of the route does not have cell phone coverage. Plan accordingly! A cooler of beverages and/or a jug of water is a good idea.

Last spring, when I drove Flagstaff to Blanding, I called up some RV parks in Bluff, UT. At least one was very friendly and said that they would be happy to let me charge at their 14-50, 50 Amp, RV outlet. Because it is about 1,800 feet of climbing from Bluff to Blanding, and there is almost nothing in between, that is a great, "last chance to charge" location. The new energy prediction function works very well. If I were you, I would make a couple of phone calls to see if I could find a backup charge in Bluff, and play with the energy prediction graph before that section so you know how to use it well, and can make an intelligent decision on whether or not to get a top up charge in Bluff.

All that said, with a 97-98% charge (those last 2-3% take forever, and it's quicker to just drive a little slower) in Holbrook, you should do fine. Have a great trip!

8. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

rogermm: We went from Gallup to Blanding. Much of the road is wide open and subject to high winds. There are no RV parks or other charging opportunities so be very careful of your range. In poor weather--high winds that turned into blowing snow--I set the cruise to 50 mph. I have seen a number of people post about driving from Flagstaff to Blanding through Monument Valley. The timing was not right for us to try this.

9. Arizona S

Arizona S Member

I drove Holbrook to Blanding (228 miles through Chinle) and used 215 charging miles. On return trip, I drove faster and it was hotter and used 232 miles. No infrastructure whatsoever between the two points. Avoid driving any more than 3 miles on the interstate out of Holbrook (take Indian roads to Chinle). No need to go to Gallup.