TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger blocking? Elon promises a solution

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by malcolm, Dec 14, 2016.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Twitter

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

just what do you think Elon could do to solve this issue?

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

There are many ways Tesla could address the issue of "free for life" owners leaving their cars in Supercharger stalls long after the car has finished charging. Each approach would cause various degrees of controversy with heated arguments pro and con. I'm not going to spend time detailing imaginary scenarios because what I post will have no impact on what Tesla decides to do and we will know Tesla's solution soon enough.. But you are welcome to speculate.

• Like x 1
  4. Owner

Owner Active Member

Great! Glad to see this response from Elon.

Let the speculation begin!

Even a very simple stop gap measure would be annoying warnings on your phone to move your car after say 15 minutes of a finished charge.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Should be based on demand. If site is full then the warnings should take effect as soon as charging stops. If the owner ignores three warnings then Tesla should charge a parking fee.

6. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

The notification to move your car after charging complete is already implemented at the Lawrence Service Center Super charger in Toronto. If no action taken, service will look up the VIN record and phone the owner.

7. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Solution should also not be based on vehicle firmware as this implementation would be subject to tampering.

8. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I don't think there should be any "grace period" after a full charge, especially when it will take 30 minutes to finish the last 10%. There's no reason to let it sit there for even a minute after you hit "full." Text owners at 80% and 90%, charge them fee starting at 100%.

• Funny x 1
  9. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

What if the charge slider is set to 80%?

10. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

If chargepercent < 100, send warnings at chargepercent*.8 and chargepercent*.9. The fee should start when supercharger stops providing energy that it could be providing to someone else.

I personally can't wait until superchargers are saturated enough that there is no reason at all to ever charge to above 80 or 90%.

11. James Anders

James Anders Member

How about after say... 2 hours time the Supercharger starts to withdraw power from your battery and make it available to charge other cars?

• Funny x 5
  12. RDoc

RDoc S85D

The problem though is it can't withdraw the parking space.

13. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#13 hockeythug, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Obviously start charging a credit card after x amount of minutes when your charge is complete.

• Like x 1
  14. polymathic

polymathic Member

The wallet hit won't be that effective. I think meeting SC abuse with temporary SC bans would yield the most result. Abuse the SC, get banned for two weeks.

Abuses of the SCs make other Tesla owners' lives miserable, and seriously interfere with multi-leg travel plans. So there should be a serious policy to deter such abuses. Getting to a SC where all stalls are taken by unoccupied cars fully charged would make anyone crazy. It's one thing to wait for your turn, and another to be stuck somewhere for an hour because of inconsiderate abusers. I'm surprised there hasn't been cases of Super Charger Rage yet.

• Like x 2
  15. kort677

kort677 Active Member

what credit card, they don't have my credit card info.
    you guys need to return to the real world.

16. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

The "real world" is that is a simple OTA software update away. Changes are obviously coming next month with the end of unlimited supercharging.

17. Ardie

Ardie Member

I still think that Tesla ought to keep their word on their "For Free, For Life" claim.

But that doesn't mean that it has to remain convenient for abusers.
    Since Tesla knows who they are, Tesla can send them a kind note reminding them that abuse of this resource will result in a penalty.

I recommend that the penalty be some measure that makes it miserable for the abuser to keep on abusing.

My original thought was to modify the Supercharge cycle for abusers in two ways:
    1) Force the owner of the car to remain in the car during the entire charge cycle. Nobody there? No juice. No going to the office, no shopping all day, no leaving it there overnight unattended. The car's built-in "butt-in-seat" detector can be used to sense a person there, and occasional demands that the person press a button, turn the steering wheel, or some kind of random activity to prove it isn't a backpack in the seat.

2) Since 30-45 minutes of waiting may not be miserable enough, I imagine that Tesla can reduce the Supercharger's (or the car's) power flow, increasing the charge time from Supercharge rates of 100-150 miles of range per hour to ordinary L2 rates of 20-30 miles of range per hour. Super (ab)user? Slow it down to L1 rates of 3-4 miles of range per hour.

Its still "For Free, For Life," but maybe sitting in a car for 4 - 8 hours isn't what the (ab)user had in mind...

Not sure how to handle husband/wife (ab)user profiles using the same car, though.

-- Ardie
    "Honey, can I borrow your key fob?"

• Disagree x 1
  18. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

This shouldn't require an OTA update. It should all be done on the backend supercharger side.

• Like x 1
  19. James Anders

James Anders Member

No, but it provides a strong incentive for the owner to come back and move the car.

20. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Punishing someone who is tying up a Supercharger stall by forcing them to tie up the Supercharger stall for a longer period? You might rethink that...

• Like x 4