Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bloomsburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Braided copper wire, the flexible kind, actually flows power better than solid copper of same thickness. electrons travel on the outside of the copper wire and not "inside the actual copper". I think that the cord could be longer to benefit condition.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Braided copper wire, the flexible kind, actually flows power better than solid copper of same thickness. electrons travel on the outside of the copper wire and not "inside the actual copper". I think that the cord could be longer to benefit condition.
It does travel on the outside, but each individual strand would need to be insulated for the skin effect to apply to each one individually. In addition the skin effect depends on the frequency of the AC, and at 60hz its thick enough to almost go through the whole solid wire. Here you can see the amp rating of solid vs stranded wires.

Tesla did briefly try a water cooled cable which they could have made longer, but for whatever reason they decided not to use them. Perhaps they are waiting for the next gen of Superchargers.

Reactions: bonaire
Thanks and I'm now needing to go back to review this further. Uninsulated-braided wire seems to offer far less amp load than single-core and this means it's something I've mis-understood for some time. Long-lines on the grid are multi-core braided and high-voltage and I presume are multi-core for strength rather than flow and I believe they are aluminum as well.

Lifting voltage would allow further wattage throughput such as for the newer-design 800V chargers (apparently 350KW) which will be needed for trucking and other newer models from Posche. The HV battery will need to be assembled for that same voltage design and motors and internal cables also setup for that as well.

Came here to post the same after posting on Plugshare. The entire station is powered off but no construction or barriers present. The cabinets’ enclosure was unlocked, though.

Tesla is aware of the issue (as indicated on the in-car nav) but I can’t find anything else.

I’m speculating a v3 upgrade? I’ll be pulling a trailer through here with an SR next month, and I literally cannot make the trip without this charger.

Attachments

• 9287081F-DFD9-4814-9CC0-9C1D5B99E41F.jpeg
    9287081F-DFD9-4814-9CC0-9C1D5B99E41F.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 58
  • E27FB33B-7466-4FB7-888D-13C499B69474.jpeg
    E27FB33B-7466-4FB7-888D-13C499B69474.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 36
  • FD337F20-DAB8-4746-B02A-DFA36341C867.jpeg
    FD337F20-DAB8-4746-B02A-DFA36341C867.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 42