Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Blythe, CA (unconfirmed V3 location, no permit has been issued)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see fast food hell in the area. But across the street a Rebel BBQ with excellent reviews.

Needless to say any additional chargers in this area are very welcomed. Two weeks ago eastbound at Quartsize on a Thursday night we waited second in line. Westbound early Monday morning no wait. In the past I have seen 5 in one waiting.

I see fast food hell in the area. But across the street a Rebel BBQ with excellent reviews.
This is a part of the country where I consider it to be "frontier supercharging." The rule about frontier supercharging is that you don't bitch about the amenities, you just want the damn thing to work. Quartzsite has not been working well for over a year. Given that you are stuck at a crappy Carls Jr. and a rock shop, this is not acceptable. A functioning v3 supercharger anywhere in the immediate vicinity would be a GREAT improvement!

This is a part of the country where I consider it to be "frontier supercharging." The rule about frontier supercharging is that you don't bitch about the amenities, you just want the damn thing to work. Quartzsite has not been working well for over a year. Given that you are stuck at a crappy Carls Jr. and a rock shop, this is not acceptable. A functioning v3 supercharger anywhere in the immediate vicinity would be a GREAT improvement!
I like that description - Frontier Supercharging!

I hate the Quartzite chargers and the Carl's Jr., but I do enjoy the rock shop! Makes that stop tolerable for me!

Got some good news to share. My dad was driving through Blythe today and actually stopped in to chat with the manager of this Carl's Jr. who confirmed Tesla superchargers are, in fact, coming to this location! Unfortunately he didn't have any other useful information to provide (timeline, V3, etc) but I think this is great news! Attached are pics of the large back lot where the chargers are planned for install.

Attachments

• IMG-20191023-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20191023-WA0003.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG-20191023-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20191023-WA0002.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 111
Blythe, CA

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-95
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-10

To: Quartzsite, AZ - 22.3 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Buckeye, AZ - 121.6 miles

US-95

To: Needles, CA - 99.4 miles
Diversion: 16.4 miles/0.4 miles*
To: Henderson, NV - 187.2 miles

* Shorter direct route/actual diversion off the road

A very useful Supercharger, which will allow people to avoid the older, unreliable site at Quartzsite, AZ.

As a bonus, it's also on US-95.

I always travel from AZ to SoCal every week and I always to use Quartzsite SC. I really agree with Big Ike. some SC Quartzsite are old and they are useless. Sometimes it takes hours to charge not including waiting in line. I complained this issue with supercharging team and still no action plan has been delivered. Total of 3 urban chargers added to this site is useless that you can't get 70 kW. Tesla should do something about this!

Reactions: Big Ike
I have contacted, by email, the Permit Technician for the City of Blythe,CA. As of yet, no permit for a supercharger has been submitted. A quote from her last email:
"I had someone contact our office just after one of the major holidays earlier this year and they spoke of developing such a charging station because the one in Quartzsite is often so full, but nothing has been submitted yet."

Nope. I've been following the threads two days and I found new status.
What does this even mean?

Anyways, I'm in Blythe right now and I have to disagree with whoever said this wasn't a good spot. It's basically the best possible location in the town, which admittedly doesn't have a lot to offer. But it's right in the middle of all the fast food offerings and a Starbucks, Denny's, some convenience stores, and a couple of mediocre hotels are a short walk away.

I did notice the big lot out back, but @Limited are you sure that's where the supercharger will go? It appeared to be attached to another business, which I think was a church. The Carl's Jr. however, does have small parking lots on either side of the building so there should be room to put a supercharger on one side or the other (I'm guessing the south side).

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to say... no signs of construction at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Anyways, I'm in Blythe right now and I have to disagree with whoever said this wasn't a good spot. It's basically the best possible location in the town, which admittedly doesn't have a lot to offer. But it's right in the middle of all the fast food offerings and a Starbucks, Denny's, some convenience stores, and a couple of mediocre hotels are a short walk away.
I agree with you - perfect spot in Blythe. On the south side of the Carl's Jr., adjacent to the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot makes perfect sense. And as you said, there are plenty of food/rest options around that site.

No, I cannot confirm that the back lot is definitely the location for the chargers. I received second hand information from a conversation my dad had with the carls jr manager (manager of which did not have a lot of information to provide other than tesla superchargers were coming).

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and PLUS EV
Permit has now granted. I'm super impressed!
Given that two days ago @Curlersrock reported direct communication from the Blythe permitting office saying that there hadn't even been an application yet (see post #10, right above yours) , you are definitely wrong/confused/mistaken about this. Or there's been some miscommunication somewhere else. Maybe you saw the blue "permit" dot on supercharge.info, and that's what you're talking about? If so, you should know that blue dots on SC.info are used for any known/confirmed location under any stage of development prior to construction start. So, a known location can have a blue dot regardless of whether they've reached the point where an actual building permit has been applied for or issued yet or not. In this case, we know it's in the works from comments by the hosting business but no permit activity yet.

Reactions: ybbor and Limited
@WalterB spotted a Tesla sign at Quartzsite suggesting expansion at Quartzsite and a new site at Ehrenberg:
Quartzsite supercharger getting overloaded during peak holiday travel times
Supercharger - Ehrenberg, AZ

@PLUS EV commented that this implies that Blythe won't be happening, and I tend to agree. Apologies for pre-emptively adding Blythe to supercharge.info! I suggest that when the Ehrenberg location is known, the Blythe pin be renamed and moved (unless there is no further solid evidence of Blythe before then)

Reactions: PLUS EV