Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boerne, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leon Springs... Hmm... The newest Supercharger in Houston is at a Rudy's "Country Store" BBQ, I recently ate at location #1, located in Leon Springs just off I-10...
There is not much paved parking near that Rudy's, but it is one of the places I check for construction during the winter when I'm scouting for activity.

El Paso SC is also located at a Rudy's. There are a LOT more HEBs than Rudy's, so I'd just as soon they develop a relationship with HEB...

There is not much paved parking near that Rudy's, but it is one of the places I check for construction during the winter when I'm scouting for activity.

El Paso SC is also located at a Rudy's. There are a LOT more HEBs than Rudy's, so I'd just as soon they develop a relationship with HEB...
Someone else had mentioned Buc-ee's. I always drive by those and they do look like they'd make for a good partnership with Tesla. Sadly I've seen no indication that they are interested in hosting superchargers. I also have no idea how to pronounce the stupid name. My best guess is Boo-Sees, but I doubt that's right lol.

Someone else had mentioned Buc-ee's. I always drive by those and they do look like they'd make for a good partnership with Tesla. Sadly I've seen no indication that they are interested in hosting superchargers. I also have no idea how to pronounce the stupid name. My best guess is Boo-Sees, but I doubt that's right lol.
It's pronounced like "Bucky's" as in Bucky Beaver -- founded by Beaver Aplin. And no, Beaver is not going to install Tesla Superchargers. It makes sense, as people would be there buying his stuff for a longer period while they charge. He has no trouble getting people to stop. Heck, we even stop in the Luling Buc-ees in the Tesla now.

At one time I had expected Buc-ees to be the archetypal Supercharger candidate. They've got the sort of "between where people are going" placement. Looking closer I realized that's probably well further out with a doubling of per SOC charging speeds, as Buc-ees aren't looking for sit-down customers at all. The 20 min bottom end of a highway SC hop is going to be around the top end of what Buc-ees aims for. They are simply a massive, massive gas station/convenience store combo w/gift shop and stand-up deli.

The kids like the Zebra popcorn. The wife likes the peach preserves. I'm okay with the dry venison sausage but I wouldn't at all miss stopping there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twiglett and brkaus
At one time I had expected Buc-ees to be the archetypal Supercharger candidate. They've got the sort of "between where people are going" placement. Looking closer I realized that's probably well further out with a doubling of per SOC charging speeds, as Buc-ees aren't looking for sit-down customers at all. The 20 min bottom end of a highway SC hop is going to be around the top end of what Buc-ees aims for. They are simply a massive, massive gas station/convenience store combo w/gift shop and stand-up deli.

The kids like the Zebra popcorn. The wife likes the peach preserves. I'm okay with the dry venison sausage but I wouldn't at all miss stopping there.
Agreed. They have better bathrooms that most gas stations, but most restaurants have decent restrooms too.
Stopping at Collins Street Bakery is much nicer than Bucees, granted there are more beaver stations around than CSB

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Agreed. They have better bathrooms that most gas stations, but most restaurants have decent restrooms too.
Stopping at Collins Street Bakery is much nicer than Bucees, granted there are more beaver stations around than CSB
Yeah but word among the truckers is that the the glory holes at Bucees put the Collins Street Bakery to shame...

There were some interviews with the people who run Buc-ees when they were opening their Katy store. They said that their newer stores are ready to install chargers when they feel the time and technology are ready(I read this as, Whenever a standard is officially set). Apparently the conduits are already run for the chargers, the spots are planned out and provisions for placing transformers, charging controllers and running power are already in place.

Because people don’t drive CCS cars on long distance trips. They drive Teslas.
People [regularly] driving CCS cars long distances [in TX] could very well happen some day, years from now. If there's a merciful god, after the Type 1 connector has had a meaningful amount the ugly beaten out of it (AKA supplanted by something created by a design team not bent on scaring people out of driving BEVs).

Beaver could be trying to thread the risk of adapting tech that becomes defunct (which is probably minimal if he goes Tesla SC) and the risk that he becomes bypassed as other stop-over charging stations take root. They've got a really strong brand, as someone said they've no trouble getting lots of people to stop there, so he's got some wiggle room to work with.

Last edited:
A couple of things here:
1) there is no Buc-ee's any where near Boerne, so this whole conversation is in the wrong forum.
2) the idea that Buc'ee's, along I-10 especially, don't want superchargers has always confused me. The stores entire model is get people to stop and come in to the store, which someone at a supercharger for 20-30 minuets is almost certainly going to do. It also give you access to a group of people who otherwise aren't stopping there now, at an above average income level, simply based on the average prices of the cars.
3) the idea of the Tesla charging standard being surpassed at this point is almost laughable. Even if we end up with 2 or 3 standards in 10 to 15 years (i'd argue we currently have 4: CCS, Tesla, J1772 & CHAdeMO), Tesla's head start and first to market is going to make anything else trying to surpass it difficult, especially with their continued growth of stations and every other car manufacturer continuing to fall behind by the day. (5 more open in the USA in September and 2 so far in October)

Obviously just my opinions but I don't understand why gas station owners don't see the future and even the present day with adding more customers in to your shop by adding even 4 Superchargers to their locations if allowed by Tesla.

Reactions: CarlS