Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boise, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really looking forward to seeing the Boise supercharger completed. I'm traveling through town in late July with my dog on a 50 state tour in my 70D and would enjoy supercharging at my destination (will be visiting friends). It'd be fun to say hi to Boise Tesla people and my visit might be one more excuse for media coverage.
www.theelectricroadtrip.com

sgcomplete500.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing the Boise supercharger completed. I'm traveling through town in late July with my dog on a 50 state tour in my 70D and would enjoy supercharging at my destination (will be visiting friends). It'd be fun to say hi to Boise Tesla people and my visit might be one more excuse for media coverage.
www.theelectricroadtrip.com

View attachment 87914

We certainly have a few Tesla owners listed on Plugshare in Boise. I’d sure like to meet you when you’re in town.

Not a lot looking different here, but I have a couple of new pictures.

Here are the pedestals again. The cables are in them now, and they have put in some parking stops in front of the curbs to try to halt the backing into the pedestals. *cough* Primm, Nevada *cough*

Supercharger_parking_stops.jpg

And on the cement pad where the charger equipment is, they now have the enclosure mostly done. It's a nice stucco finish with wood slat doors.

Supercharger_enclosure.jpg

It looks to me like another week or two should do it.

I was in Quincy WA this past Wed and was heading to Salt Lake City. The Tesla Nav Planner was a joke, since it could not deal with the 392 mile gap between Baker City and Trementon, UT. Even 300 miles down the road from the Baker City SC, it was telling me to return to the Baker City SC.

Until the Boise SC goes online, I found that part of my trip painful. I charged at Baker City, and hit the road to Boise. Dennis Dillon Nisssan was listed on Plugshare as Tesla friendly, but that does not actually indicate just how friendly they really are. The person who greeted me pointed out the 240 (J1772A) and 440 (CHademo) charging stations, but I was limited to the J1772A plug, not having the CHAdemo adapter. It wouldn't have mattered, since upon looking over the CHAdemo station charger, it had failed and was not in service.. About 4 hours later (about 11 PM), I was on the road to the 'Business Office' listed on plugshare in Twin Falls. Lisa was extremely friendly and accommodating on the phone. After driving 55mph on the 80 mph speed limit interstate, I arrived at 2:30AM, and plugged in. I had to overstay the hours of operation (until 7:30 AM) in order to get enough juice to get toto Tremonton, but nobody had arrived at the office building when I pulled out, More driving at 55mph.

I really appreciate Dennis Dillon Nissan and Lisa at the Business Office. They truly encompass the helping a stranger find shelter in a storm.

However, I won't do that trip again without the Boise SC online. I lost too many hours, and di not see that there were ANY options for HPWC's between those 2 endpoints. I would have been happy to be residing in a comfy bed while visions of fleet-footed electrons would dance in my head.

Glad I did the trip. Glad to have it behind me. The next trip will be with the Boise SC online. That said, I will say that I will be re-evaluating any trips that rely on any AC outlet that's sub 40Amp, unless you're plugged in and resting in lodging accomodations. Sure pleased to see Holiday Inn Express has stepped up to the plate and are catering to Tesla owners.

Scotty

I lost too many hours, and do not see that there were ANY options for HPWC's between those 2 endpoints. I would have been happy to be residing in a comfy bed while visions of fleet-footed electrons would dance in my head.
Scotty

Yes, it is a fairly tough gap, but you seem to be missing HPWC opportunities in Boise and in Twin Falls. I don’t know if you haven’t looked, or what.

If you check Tesla’s own “Find Us” site for destination chargers and Plugshare, you will see that the Candlewood Suites hotels in Meridian and Boise both have HPWCs, and from a Plugshare comment on the Boise location at least, they let even non hotel guests use it. In Twin Falls, there is a Tesla owner named Cleve who has an 80A HPWC available to share, so that would have been an option there, too. Besides that dentist’s office in Twin Falls, the Blue Lakes Inn is a good place to stay with charging, but they are 40A. So an overnight stop in a comfy bed would have been a great idea in either of those two places. Boise might be the best place for the overnight charge, because then, leaving with a full charge from there, you can charge even on a 14-50 in Twin Falls for less than an hour and a half to make it to Tremonton. That’s what we are planning to do when we got to SLC for a concert in August.

@Scotty, I can vouch for the Candlewood Suites in Boise. I stayed at the Town Square one last night, and woke up with a full charge. They have 2 reserved Tesla spots right next to the wheel chair spaces at the entrance, and the front desk monitors those spots on their security camera. Nice staff and definitely friendly to Tesla owners. One front desk clerk told me that the hotel owner has a Tesla and parks in those spots when he visits. They have 2 80A chargers, but I only drew 40A with my single charger.

I was in Quincy WA this past Wed and was heading to Salt Lake City. The Tesla Nav Planner was a joke, since it could not deal with the 392 mile gap between Baker City and Trementon, UT. Even 300 miles down the road from the Baker City SC, it was telling me to return to the Baker City SC.
Scotty

I too have found the trip planner to be a joke, even after the update pushed out this past week. I have a picture of the nav telling me I am going to run out of energy and need to charge, yet routing me past the Supercharger I am in front of. And, when I am heading South (East) on 84 out of La Grande, it keeps telling me to make a U-turn and go back 60 miles to Pendleton, when Baker City is only 40 miles away and en route, until I am within 10 miles of Baker City and 90 from Pendleton.

I sincerely hope whoever "engineered" the graph algorithm for the nav system isn't allowed to touch any other program, and that the QA for the nav is not the same QA process as the operational software goes through!! It is a real pity, as with all of the big data Tesla should have on Model S highway travel, a good engineer would be able to come up with a trip planner that would put EVTripPlanner to shame.

It's not just that gap. It's been doing that on routes that have Super Chargers well within your range. I was 70 miles from the next Super Charger with 180 miles of rated range and it was telling me to turn around and return to the previous Super Charger for 0 minutes of charging. This is clearly a bug.

Thanks for the comments.

I was in Boise in the early evening, and didn't see any other options for charging besides Dennis Dillon Nissan. I have the 2 on-board chargers, and would have appreciated the higher charging rates.

I pulled into Twin Falls at 2:30 AM, and didn't see any other options there, other than an RV resort near there. I needed to be in Salt Lake that day by noon. I think that any kind of losging that offers HPWC at 80 Amps even to non-staying customers would be a place I'd love to patronize if I had the time to stay there, or with a meal, or positive feedback about them. My schedule had changed and I struggled to accommodate the trip to SLC.

I didn't see the Tesla owner as a plugshare option, but I'll go and search again.

As a aside, does any other Tesla owner feel that they ar letting down the public perception of Tesla's and other capable electric cars when they are motoring at 55mph - 60mph) conserving range when EVERY other car, pickup and big rig is whizzing by at their legal limits?

Scotty

As a aside, does any other Tesla owner feel that they ar letting down the public perception of Tesla's and other capable electric cars when they are motoring at 55mph - 60mph) conserving range when EVERY other car, pickup and big rig is whizzing by at their legal limits?

I doubt whether most people even recognize that it's a Tesla.

Thanks for the comments.

I was in Boise in the early evening, and didn't see any other options for charging besides Dennis Dillon Nissan. I have the 2 on-board chargers, and would have appreciated the higher charging rates.

I pulled into Twin Falls at 2:30 AM, and didn't see any other options there, other than an RV resort near there. I needed to be in Salt Lake that day by noon. I think that any kind of losging that offers HPWC at 80 Amps even to non-staying customers would be a place I'd love to patronize if I had the time to stay there, or with a meal, or positive feedback about them. My schedule had changed and I struggled to accommodate the trip to SLC.

I didn't see the Tesla owner as a plugshare option, but I'll go and search again.

Scotty

Echoing what many others have said, the range assurance/trip planner thing is a pile of garbage. I highly recommend turning it off. You can do this by going to Controls -> Apps -> Navigation, and it's listed as a feature that you can enable/disable. With that disabled, nav is fine to just select your next stop.

Scotty, sorry if I came off as blunt in my responses.

Yeah, the Candlewood chargers are great. I only have single charger, but someone mentioned those are at 80A, so they would be really helpful with dual chargers. As to the private owner in Twin Falls with the HPWC, do you have an account created on Plugshare? I think it doesn’t show private residence chargers unless you have an account and are logged into it.

* As to letting down the public perception, I have three thoughts on that:
(1) I don’t freaking care much about others’ opinions/perceptions. Teslas are great, and if it does what I want, that’s what is most important. Besides, driving along the highway and making it to where you’re going is a much better perception than people seeing it stopped on the side of the highway because someone drove too fast and ran out of charge, so don’t be that guy.
(2) Wind resistance is a bitch, regardless of the type of vehicle. Even when driving gas cars, high speed really hurts your gas mileage. So even in a gas car, I don’t speed much on long trips, because it’s just wasteful. People can drive 85mph if they want and waste a lot more gas, but I’m not going to do that, no matter if I need to conserve range or not.
(3) This is mainly an issue in the short term, while the Supercharger network is young and small and most people have barely heard of Tesla. It will not always be this way. We’re driving from Boise to SLC next month. I’ll drive a bit slow to be more efficient for now because I’ll need a stop on a 14-50 outlet in Twin Falls for a little over an hour, and I don’t want that stop to take any longer. However, within a few months, the Supercharger in Twin Falls will be done, and then all of our trips to SLC in the future for decades will be as fast as we want. So it’s a short term irritation, while we are the early adopters in this. That is a valid point to the public. By the time the Model 3 and future Tesla vehicles come out, the Supercharger network will be much more extensive, so this won’t be as much of an issue for the public if they are considering a Tesla in 2018 or 2020.

It's not that bad. I just drove from DFW to Seattle and back using it. As long as you know to clear the charging points, it did a good job. Sure, it could be better, and I don't doubt that it will be as additional upgrades are pushed.