Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boone, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In summary of my post, I think (and agree that) there are better locations for this, but if this is our only shot at getting Tesla chargers in Boone, then I'm for it. However if they would actually consider putting them somewhere else and can do so, they REALLY,REALLY should! If you want to read the whole thing, here you go, sorry it's a bit long winded...

As a former student and employee of ASU (hence the username and logo), I have to agree with @mechrock, Queen St. Is not the ideal location for a V3 SuC, even if they include several L2 J1772 charging spots. I have used the CHADeMO on Depot St. and it worked quite well, if only at 35kW, but this was during a weekend where I knew there was low traffic volume. There are many instances of SuC on privately owned land (Food Lions and gas stations, North Hills Mall), but as @Jeremy3292 points out, I'm sure Tesla did research in Boone for other suitable locations and had to come up with this location. I'm also aware that a lot of the land up there is owned by very few people; just look at Holton Mtn. Rentals, they own a ton of property and I'm sure it's that way with commercial real estate, too. Also, while I was a student there, I have been towed many times by Ashe Lake. They really like to get parking violation calls and are very responsive to removing improperly (or properly in one case of my several tows) parked vehicles very quickly, if they are allowed to enforce the rules of EV charging spots. In summary of my post, I think there are better locations for this, but if this is our only shot at getting Tesla chargers in Boone, then I'm for it, but if they would actually consider putting them somewhere else and can do so, they REALLY, REALLY should.

In summary of my post, I think (and agree that) there are better locations for this, but if this is our only shot at getting Tesla chargers in Boone, then I'm for it. However if they would actually consider putting them somewhere else and can do so, they REALLY,REALLY should! If you want to read the whole thing, here you go, sorry it's a bit long winded...

As a former student and employee of ASU (hence the username and logo), I have to agree with @mechrock, Queen St. Is not the ideal location for a V3 SuC, even if they include several L2 J1772 charging spots. I have used the CHADeMO on Depot St. and it worked quite well, if only at 35kW, but this was during a weekend where I knew there was low traffic volume. There are many instances of SuC on privately owned land (Food Lions and gas stations, North Hills Mall), but as @Jeremy3292 points out, I'm sure Tesla did research in Boone for other suitable locations and had to come up with this location. I'm also aware that a lot of the land up there is owned by very few people; just look at Holton Mtn. Rentals, they own a ton of property and I'm sure it's that way with commercial real estate, too. Also, while I was a student there, I have been towed many times by Ashe Lake. They really like to get parking violation calls and are very responsive to removing improperly (or properly in one case of my several tows) parked vehicles very quickly, if they are allowed to enforce the rules of EV charging spots. In summary of my post, I think there are better locations for this, but if this is our only shot at getting Tesla chargers in Boone, then I'm for it, but if they would actually consider putting them somewhere else and can do so, they REALLY, REALLY should.
Agreed, If towing is enforced then I would be a lot less concerned. The time to get to the supercharger would still be annoying, especially during event weekends. If this is trurely the only place that'll work then we have no choice, but I'd really like to know why Makotos wasn't considered.

Boone, NC

Host Type: Parking Lot
Host: Town of Boone
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-221, US-321, US-421
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-221

To: End (US-29Bus Lynchburg, VA) - 203 miles
Diversion: 0 miles

US-321

To: Pigeon Forge, TN - 153.3 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: End (I-40 northwest of Lenoir City, TN) - 212.2 miles

US-421

To: Bristol, VA - 60.3 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Bristol, TN - 62 miles

Filling a hole at a popular destination.
On US-221, US-321 and US-421.

I found the town council meeting with the Supercharger proposal on the agenda. Starts at 2:14:00

I'd tend to agree that putting it on the corner of Queen and Water St would work out better for all, but we'll see what happens...
It's good to hear they are planning to build more than one in the area. With a 2nd charger near by, that might completely alleviate my concerns.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Agreed, If towing is enforced then I would be a lot less concerned. The time to get to the supercharger would still be annoying, especially during event weekends. If this is trurely the only place that'll work then we have no choice, but I'd really like to know why Makotos wasn't considered.
I agree Mikotos is better but better one than none

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I found the town council meeting with the Supercharger proposal on the agenda. Starts at 2:14:00

I'd tend to agree that putting it on the corner of Queen and Water St would work out better for all, but we'll see what happens...

I listened to the whole presentation and Q & A about the Supercharger, and it doesn't seem like a done deal.

• There are a few champions of this in the town government, but the majority of the board seem uncertain about whether they should approve this.
  • A lot of the town council is worried about losing the parking revenue, and the Tesla rep said the only way they will do this deal is if Tesla driving can charge without having to pay for parking.
  • Some are worried that the chargers will become outdated, and Tesla will not keep them up.
  • Outside of the advocates for this in town government, most of the other folks who spoke are only have a rudimentary knowledge of electrics cars in general, and Teslas in particular.
I trust @mechrock when he says this is not a good location, and originally I thought it didn't matter, as long as we got a supercharger site somewhere in Boone.

Now, I'm not so sure it's worth overcoming the board's objections. They are clearly lukewarm. I wish Tesla could get one of the other, better locations, and avoid dealing with town governments.

The Tesla rep mentioned earlier in his presentation that they had been trying to negotiate with other private sites around town for some time, but the deals kept falling through. It makes me wonder why so many in this town are reluctant for an offer that is basically, "We will spend several hundred thousands of dollars to bring you affluent patrons--who have been begging us for a way to come there."

I know it's a cliche, but this recording reinforces how important it is to help educate a broader audience about EVs in general.

So it sounds like Makotos isn’t a real option based on what the Tesla guy said in the presentation. No private options working for them so Tesla has arrived at working with the town council at this point bc they are out of options. Also Makotos doesn’t really have enough space for patrons and the superchargers IMO.

I listened to the whole presentation and Q & A about the Supercharger, and it doesn't seem like a done deal.

• There are a few champions of this in the town government, but the majority of the board seem uncertain about whether they should approve this.
  • A lot of the town council is worried about losing the parking revenue, and the Tesla rep said the only way they will do this deal is if Tesla driving can charge without having to pay for parking.
  • Some are worried that the chargers will become outdated, and Tesla will not keep them up.
I came away with a slightly different impression.

They asked a lot of great questions. If there was a primary concern they had, it was with going with a proprietary solution (i.e. Tesla-only charging -- and while the proposal includes 4 J1772 charging stations, those 4 L2 stations are hardly equivalent to Superchargers!) They spent quite a lot of time discussing that, and it's a fair question. The response was that Tesla is considering opening up Superchargers to other vehicles, but let's remember there is no timeline nor detailed specifications for if/when this happening in the US (which David Abernathy did acknowledge). This concern perfectly highlights the scenario I highlight to people who are getting upset about Tesla opening up Superchargers to CCS vehicles -- it is a real concern, and if Tesla DOESN'T provide DC fast charging to other makes, they are going to get resistance such as this.

Anyway, feedback to the Town Council regarding this concern should be that there are other providers that they could woo that would provide multi-brand charging (EVgo would be a good contender since they have deployed charging stations with all 3 US fast charging connectors), but they probably won't get the same deal that Tesla is offering, and they will probably end up with a very over-crowded 4-stall setup (with 3 charging stations, one of which can share power with two parking spots).

In looking at the map of the area, I am wondering if there aren't several other possibilities than just further up Queen St:
1649279330192.png

What's that big parking lot further up the hill from Queen St? Is that a public lot? And how about what looks like the library overflow lot? Could even get away with 15 minute general parking spots like you see at many Sheetz stations. Are these two lots "too far" from the action of King St that Tesla was trying to be near? Is there a concern with getting power to those sites? (I know that was one of the possible concerns with locating the stations elsewhere on Queen St).

Good news that the area is being considered. We're headed to Boone/Valle Crucis from southeastern VA later this week and the range anxiety is real. We're fairly new Tesla owners and haven't taken it on a long trip yet. I have family in the next county over in TN and I find zero chargers of any kind in the county. This means we'll be driving the truck with the V8. (sorry environment!) I'm following this thread with optimism!

• Funny
Reactions: ChrisC
Good news that the area is being considered. We're headed to Boone/Valle Crucis from southeastern VA later this week and the range anxiety is real. We're fairly new Tesla owners and haven't taken it on a long trip yet. I have family in the next county over in TN and I find zero chargers of any kind in the county. This means we'll be driving the truck with the V8. (sorry environment!) I'm following this thread with optimism!
I can understand being cautious since you haven’t taken a long trip yet. Looks like you have SuCh options within 100 miles of Boone (depending on your preferred route). You could charge to 80%+ then arrive in Boone with ample charge remaining. Looks to be plenty of L2 options in Boone for an overnight or long daytime charge as needed (while eating, hiking, etc). Or you can drive the truck, it would be easier. I find the longer I own the Tesla, the more charging hoops I will jump thru in order to avoid driving the “other” car.

Either way, enjoy the trip to Boone. Truly a beautiful area.

Any updates ???
Was just in Boone Friday and no signs of construction. They just added two new lvl2 chargers on King Street and of course are already iced. 2nd photo shows where chargers are planned to be installed.

Attachments

• F1A9F49B-27B6-4781-9CD9-868CE9733FC1.jpeg
    F1A9F49B-27B6-4781-9CD9-868CE9733FC1.jpeg
    710.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 273CADB1-A0BC-4CD3-95D3-7EFB2FA63BAC.jpeg
    273CADB1-A0BC-4CD3-95D3-7EFB2FA63BAC.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 91