Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boone, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to go too far down that Tangent, but yeah Tanger has suddenly been installing a LOT of Volta stations lately. They recently put SEVEN of their Level 2 stations at their Locust Grove GA location (south of Atlanta), and FOUR DCFC stations into their Commerce GA location (northeast of Atlanta).

Reactions: jsight
Tesla should say the heck with Boone. I think the Tanger Outlet in Blowing Rock is a much better option.
1654777261330.png

(Link for those who don't "internet" very well: Know Your Meme )

One of Boone's objections to the project, the fact that Superchargers are proprietary to one car manufacturer, albeit for now the vastly prominent manufacturer, and Tesla's response that their goal is to update Superchargers to be "universal" (from the March 29 minutes posted by @Jeremy3292), perfectly illustrates my reasoning why Tesla opening up Supercharging to CCS is an important next step. Yes, for now it is far more likely that visitors to the area will be driving a car that can charge at the Supercharger, but definitely not 100%, and this will be changing over time. Having a "universal" charging solution is also important for the city to not have the appearance of showing favoritism towards one particular company. Similar lines of thought would be going through the minds of potential host site proprietors as well. When Tesla is able to approach potential hosts and state that they will be able to charge vehicles of any make, they will have a much stronger case and be able to win approvals much easier.

One of Boone's objections to the project, the fact that Superchargers are proprietary to one car manufacturer, albeit for now the vastly prominent manufacturer, and Tesla's response that their goal is to update Superchargers to be "universal" (from the March 29 minutes posted by @Jeremy3292), perfectly illustrates my reasoning why Tesla opening up Supercharging to CCS is an important next step. Yes, for now it is far more likely that visitors to the area will be driving a car that can charge at the Supercharger, but definitely not 100%, and this will be changing over time. Having a "universal" charging solution is also important for the city to not have the appearance of showing favoritism towards one particular company. Similar lines of thought would be going through the minds of potential host site proprietors as well. When Tesla is able to approach potential hosts and state that they will be able to charge vehicles of any make, they will have a much stronger case and be able to win approvals much easier.
It seems to me the biggest barrier for the Town right now is the loss of revenue and loss of 16 parking spaces.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I believe some gas station owners have voiced similar objections. It makes a lot of sense, as noone wants to commit to a solution that could potentially be obsolete. Adding support for CCS cables likely opens up enough properties for them to alleviate any capacity issues that stem from it.

Reactions: RTPEV
@corywright I think you can remove the permit from supercharge.info as it was never really a permit to begin with. If you want to update the spot to the CVS as per the email below, I have included the address:

2147 Blowing Rock Rd, Boone, NC 28607
Thanks @Jeremy3292. That's an interesting response from Mr. Santucci.

Since the Boone Supercharger is still in the discovery phase we'll just keep the blue dot and move it to the CVS location.

Soooo many questions!

Is the CVS location going to be Superchargers or just destination/J1772 chargers? (it does look like a suitable place for Superchargers, so hopefully that is the case, but interesting that they are still keeping the idea of a downtown site still alive in that case)

Sounds like they already are well along in the design of a CCS compatible Supercharger. I guess I'm not surprised, but now very curious as to the timeline for it.

Does this imply that all (most) new Superhcargers past a certain date will be CCS-compatible? Or was that comment as a result of the desire by the town council for a universal charging solution?

Soooo many questions!

Is the CVS location going to be Superchargers or just destination/J1772 chargers? (it does look like a suitable place for Superchargers, so hopefully that is the case, but interesting that they are still keeping the idea of a downtown site still alive in that case)
I cannot imagine Tesla is going out of their way to install destination chargers, especially at a place like a CVS. Boone/Blowing Rock already have many destination chargers as well.
Sounds like they already are well along in the design of a CCS compatible Supercharger. I guess I'm not surprised, but now very curious as to the timeline for it.
I emailed George back and asked if there was a timeline for the CVS location. I will post response if/when I receive one.
Does this imply that all (most) new Superhcargers past a certain date will be CCS-compatible? Or was that comment as a result of the desire by the town council for a universal charging solution?
I think it is the latter of those two choices. There are some articles floating around that Tesla is working on CCS charging by EOY per a release from the Biden admin though.

CVS is a great location!
A little more context for those not as familiar with Boone.

1657748376066.png

Pros:
Far less likely to be ICEd
Close Proximity to many stores and restaurants.
From the 105 / 321 intersection, it is twice as quick to get to on a normal traffic day. 4 minutes vs 8min. Widen this gap at least another 4 minutes on game day or other event weekends.
Those coming from 105, it's the same time.
321 will be at least 10 minutes quicker
421 probably a few minutes quicker taking the Bamboo to Deerfield shortcut
Much better proximity to charge for those traveling on the Blueridge Parkway.
Walking distance to the Greenway, great place to walk your dog or let the kids run around, I used to live very close by.

Cons:
Have to cross 321 to get to most stores, not terrible if you can time a light, I've personally done it.
Further away for those coming from Tennessee