Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boone, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
819115AB-C84B-4C86-8738-45357E7C4A29.jpeg

Good morning Boone! First time using the charger, please don’t be this person taking up the pull in stall. Very likely in the future I’ll be towing a trailer up here and will need that stall.

Good morning Boone! First time using the charger, please don’t be this person taking up the pull in stall. Very likely in the future I’ll be towing a trailer up here and will need that stall.
I wish there was better signage on the pull in spots, I don't think they currently say anything about being made for that reason.

Ideally it would really cool if the car was smart enough to pop up something on the screen after you plug in to remind you that pull-in spots are ideally used for people with a trailer.

Reactions: mechrock
I've charged in that spot before -- it never occurred to me to reserve it for a trailer.
I would agree signage would help, like the signs that indicate to save some spots for last use for handicap.

While I was charging at Thomasville, NC, recently, I saw two college-aged cyclists trying to back their Tesla, with bike rack attached, at an angle to get close enough to a charger.

I walked over and said that I thought that's what the pull-in stall on the end was for, so they tried it. They were able to charge easier, and their bike rack did not stick out much at all, so no hazard to other traffic in the parking lot.

View attachment 868027
View attachment 868027
Although convenient when towing a trailer, you would be blocking the drive lane in the parking lot if you do that. Most of the pull-in spots I've seen are similar, a trailer would block the driving lane. These are good for bike racks and those trailer hitch cargo carriers, that's about it.

Although convenient when towing a trailer, you would be blocking the drive lane in the parking lot if you do that. Most of the pull-in spots I've seen are similar, a trailer would block the driving lane. These are good for bike racks and those trailer hitch cargo carriers, that's about it.
At this particular location there is room to move around a trailer, I can see that for other locations.

Reactions: jsight
As a nearby resident who brings my family to Boone often, I would love to see more chargers at the hotels. I know there have been the ones installed at the drug store coming into town. We often go to the waterfalls and Blowing Rock and having more chargers inside of town allow for that back and forth travel. Not sure that putting them in the high traffic areas like downtown is most efficient, but those spending ample time dining and shopping down there can definitely use them adequately. Hopefully there will not be an issue with non EV parking in them.

Why does that third-from-the-left charger look odd to me? Is the adapter opposite?
That is the worst. Had a large bike rack with two bikes and was hoping for pull in during a road trip to beach. I assume all stalls were full before we got there because Tesla with no tow was using (forever!). We barely made the stretch of back in, went in for restroom and eat (@Sheetz) about 25 min and they were still there. Came out right before we left. I was going to say something about saving those for cars that “need” them but had the thought of maybe all the stalls were full when they arrived.

As a nearby resident who brings my family to Boone often, I would love to see more chargers at the hotels. I know there have been the ones installed at the drug store coming into town. We often go to the waterfalls and Blowing Rock and having more chargers inside of town allow for that back and forth travel. Not sure that putting them in the high traffic areas like downtown is most efficient, but those spending ample time dining and shopping down there can definitely use them adequately. Hopefully there will not be an issue with non EV parking in them.
Agreed, I’d like to see more lvl 2 chargers put in at hotels. Being able to charge up overnight is more convenient, better for the car and usually cheaper than supercharging.

In short, a row of 8 or more lvl2 car chargers would be much more beneficial in this location. Superchargers are meant to charge in 20-40 minutes and leave, lvl 2 chargers keep visitors on King street for hours while they shop and eat.
@mechrock this was a very good point. The SuC that are at the drug store coming into town are much more strategically placed than they would be down town. The level 2 or 1 would be more beneficial on Kings Street or maybe one of the backroads near campus. I know this post is older - I am just now joining in and didn’t realize this forum was here.

Reactions: mechrock
That is the worst. Had a large bike rack with two bikes and was hoping for pull in during a road trip to beach. I assume all stalls were full before we got there because Tesla with no tow was using (forever!). We barely made the stretch of back in, went in for restroom and eat (@Sheetz) about 25 min and they were still there. Came out right before we left. I was going to say something about saving those for cars that “need” them but had the thought of maybe all the stalls were full when they arrived.
Every time I see someone parked in one of the pull-in spots I try to "randomly" cross paths with the person and say something like. "Oh, by the way those spots you pull-in are for people with bike racks and stuff on the back, next time try not to use that kind if the normal ones are open".

I said that to a lady at the Boone location and she kind of scoffed at me and said it was a rental and she didn't know anything and was just overall confused then charged for 5 minutes and then left. Shortly after that an older guy in a BEV SUV (maybe a BMW) pulled up and tried to figure out how to charge and I had to inform him that his vehicle wouldn't be able to charge at this supercharger, unfortuantly at the time I didnt know of a CCS charger nearby to direct him to but he left and went looking for one before I could pull up the plugshare app on my phone. (There is one at the Circle K down the road on the left)

I never noticed that 1 of the connectors was installed backwards, that's pretty funny/interesting. 😅 I am going to charge at that one the next time I am in the area to see if it discharges my car instead of charges it. 🙃 But for real, it seems like it would make the cable reach further but cause more wear and tear on the cable with the twisting each time it's used.

• Funny
Reactions: RTPEV and mechrock